Musings on Deep Dead Blue

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

Musings on Deep Dead Blue

Post by laughingcrow »

Don't worry BlueChair is fine!

I just got this album, after ages looking for it, off of US Amazon (after one got lost in the post :shock: they sent me the other no charge...gawd bless em).
First thoughts after listening through it a couple of times here in my darkened room at night, is that it's a lot better than I expected it to be. Frisell's guitar is great on it, really well paced, and really darkens the mood of the songs.
It's the best version of Love Field I've heard, and the Poor Napoleon comes off well too. The Mingus song Weird Nightmare is a great opener, Gigi is probably the weakest track on it I think.Deep dead blue is nice as well, really heartfelt.

Any thoughts?

PS..Cool cardboard cover and CD pic!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I love this record and 'Gigi'. Don't be so dismissive of his vocal performance on it. The guitar is exquisite and the over all feel is haunting. It's the Elvis Halloween record or at least one for a dark, stormy night. That version of 'Poor Napoleon' is amazing as are the three less familiar tracks. I'm always up for another rendition of 'Baby Plays Around'. It's short but I don't think a moment is wasted.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

An excellent companion to this album would be a mini-album of the performances from the recent Piano Jazz programme. 8 tracks, 7 standards, 1 North song, just under 30 minutes, its excellent. This has to be given a proper release.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Agreed Martin. Preferably with the Brodsky Quartet as well.