5 Reasons That Yoko Ono is cool

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

5 Reasons That Yoko Ono is cool

Post by BlueChair »

This is in response to a thread in the Elvis section that has gone completely non-Elvis. Like many Beatles fans, I had some hostility for Yoko when I first read about her. It's easy to blame her for breaking up the Beatles, but I think that it is ignorant to put the blame on her.

Bottom line:

1. Yoko Ono inspired some of John Lennon's greatest songs. Aside from the beautiful songs he wrote about her, she opened him up to a lot of avant-garde influences which only helped increase his skill as a musician and songwriter. A lot of John's great songs from the latter-Beatles days as well as solo years probably wouldn't have happened without Yoko's influence.

2. She made him a smarter person. Listen to any pre-Yoko Lennon interview and any post-Yoko Lennon interview. He was still cynical in nature, but became much more interesting a person.

3. She is a huge peace activist. Anyone who devotes so much time and money to making the world a better place has my complete respect. Who else would spend money putting up huge signs in major cities saying "War Is Over" during christmas time.

4. She wrote some cool songs! Say what you will about her singing ability, but if you listen to John Lennon's version of "Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him" and EC's version of "Walking On Thin Ice" you will realize her songs are actually not bad in the slightest!

5. She is tasteful about her husband's legacy. While she is undoubtedly earning money from Lennon's music and legacy, she is not abusing it. Lennon releases in the past 10 years have been much sparser than a lot of other deceased music legends. And pretty much anything that has been released has been full of love and affection. She put out that wonderful John Lennon Anthology box set. It's an incredible collection of outtakes from throughout John's illustrious solo career.
Last edited by BlueChair on Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

1) The Beatles would have broken up anyway.

2) The Beatles would have broken up anyway.

3) The Beatles would have broken up anyway.

4) The Beatles would have broken up anyway.

5) The Beatles would have broken up anyway.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

1) She is a provocative and - dare I say it- thought-provoking artist in her own right.

2) She and Lennon had an unconventional but genuinely loving relationship.

3) She is a smart, savvy businesswoman.

4) L7 used a sample of hers in their song "Wargasm."

5) She gets under people's skin, and thus gets her work and persona talked about. Nice way to stay in the public mindset.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i can´t think of any....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Does that mean you disagree with all of our points?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

she's hideously ugly! :lol: ...where's king of spain when I need him?
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp