Elvis on new Lucinda Williams album´Blessed´, March 1 '11

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on new Lucinda Williams album´Blessed´, March 1 '11

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsburge ... m.html.csp

Dec 6, 2010

The great Lucinda Williams, who wowed a Deer Valley crowd two summers ago, will release her new album "Blessed" on March 1 by Lost Highway.

An excerpt from the press release:

Considered by many to be one of America’s greatest living songwriters, Williams ... [will be] delivering 12 new songs that cover an even wider emotional spectrum than her previous work, without moving too far in any one direction.

Blessed opens with the gritty kiss-off “Buttercup” then moves seamlessly into the sultry blues of “Born To Be Loved." Williams delves into a heavier subject as she questions the motives for a suicide on the hard-driving “Seeing Black." which features blistering guitar from Elvis Costello. The thoughtful title track slowly builds to a melodic climax as it offers an eye-opening look at what’s right in front of us, but too often unnoticed. The poignant and powerful “Soldier’s Song” simultaneously tells a tragic story of the soldier overseas and his wife and child back home. On the gorgeous “Kiss Like Your Kiss," Williams lays down one of the most beautiful and fragile vocals she has ever recorded. The original version of “Kiss Like Your Kiss” appeared on the True Blood: Music From The HBO Original Series - Volume 2 and was just nominated for a Grammy Award for BEST SONG WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURE, TELEVISION OR OTHER VISUAL MEDIA.

It’s nothing new to see Williams tug at the heartstrings and stimulate the mind with her songs, but there is a vibe throughout Blessed that is unique to this album in-particular. It’s the sound of the wisdom and experience Williams has gained through her years as an uncompromising talent. Combine that with Grammy Award-winning producer Don Was at the helm, and something special is born. Was co-produced Blessed with Eric Liljestrand and Tom Overby, who co-produced Williams highly-praised "Little Honey" (2008). Blessed features special guests Rami Jaffe on keyboards, Matthew Sweet on vocals Greg Leisz and Elvis Costello on guitar.

The deluxe edition of Blessed will include bonus material titled The Kitchen Tapes. These are the demos Williams recorded of the songs that became Blessed right as they were born at her kitchen table, where she does much of her writing.

From Elvis' 'Ransom Notes'-

http://www.elviscostello.com/micro/nati ... nsom-notes

EC: I'm talking about my session work

OWH: Session work as guitar player?

EC: That's right. People think that I've been pursuing another career in television but in the dead of night, I shin up drainpipes into studios and overdub my electric guitar.

And I think I'm on four tracks of the next Lucinda Williams record.

OWH: You're singing with her?

EC: No, playing lead and rhythm guitar.

OWH: You are making this up, aren't you?

EC: I am most certainly not, Mrs. Husband.

I was asked to sing a harmony on a song that Lucinda contributed for this show about biting people but there was very little I could add to her performance, so I sang a very discreet line of harmony.

My consolation was Lucinda and her husband Tom invited me down to play on a session at Capitol Studios. We cut one song live with Lu in the booth and they must have liked what I did, because they kept putting up reels of tape.

By the end of the night, I think I must have played on half the record.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis on new Lucinda Williams album, March '11

Post by johnfoyle »

http://mog.com/DashboardDJ856/blog/2778188

(extract)

Williams delves into a heavier subject as she questions the motives for a suicide on the hard-driving "Seeing Black", which features blistering guitar from Elvis Costello
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis on new Lucinda Williams album´Blessed´, March 1 '1

Post by johnfoyle »

Amazon Germany has some sound clips from this ; it's also listing a earlier Feb. 25th release date-

http://www.amazon.de/Blessed-Lucinda-Wi ... 413&sr=1-1
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 13909.html

February 17, 2011

(extract)

One of the big discoveries on "Blessed" is the guitar player whom co-producer Overby invited -- Elvis Costello.

Said Williams: "Elvis e-mailed Tom and said, 'Are you sure this e-mail went to the right place?' Tom said that Elvis will just tear these things up. He came, and he had three or four different guitars, and I just sat in the control room and Elvis just started [playing], and my jaw dropped."

Judging by his expressively bluesy, delightfully twangy and mournfully majestic contributions to "Blessed," Costello could be a guitar hero in his spare time -- just as Williams can be a solo performer in hers.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Sounds like Brent Mason needs to watch out!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

anybody know EXACTLY how many songs he PLAYS on??? it should be fun. i wonder if he'll jump on stage at Webster Hall one or both NYC nights. i think they're March dates for her there and before E starts working. hey...let me BRAG at this thread: in June 1999, i was a proud new owner of CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD and despite there being NO CONNECTION at this date; i insisted to my friend that we be certain to get to the LUCINDA set fully (2 or 3 different stages at RANDALLS ISLAND GUINESS FLEADH) that day as EC would join her!!! :D :D :D it's good to be right (once in a blue moon)! glad i got the photo AND boot to prove it. are mine the only photo and recording of the two on stage from that date? i've seen no other. hey Doc...does Lucinda allow dimeadozen? i can hand it off to you. very nice recording if i recall correctly.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no, i'm wrong...E does go EAST to Korea and Japan in early March, but Lucinda's NY shows are the 11th and 12th at Webster Hall. hmmmm....
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:anybody know EXACTLY how many songs he PLAYS on??? it should be fun. i wonder if he'll jump on stage at Webster Hall one or both NYC nights. i think they're March dates for her there and before E starts working. hey...let me BRAG at this thread: in June 1999, i was a proud new owner of CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD and despite there being NO CONNECTION at this date; i insisted to my friend that we be certain to get to the LUCINDA set fully (2 or 3 different stages at RANDALLS ISLAND GUINESS FLEADH) that day as EC would join her!!! :D :D :D it's good to be right (once in a blue moon)! glad i got the photo AND boot to prove it. are mine the only photo and recording of the two on stage from that date? i've seen no other. hey Doc...does Lucinda allow dimeadozen? i can hand it off to you. very nice recording if i recall correctly.
Lucinda is allowed. Let's get it done!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

bronxapostle wrote:anybody know EXACTLY how many songs he PLAYS on??? it should be fun. i wonder if he'll jump on stage at Webster Hall one or both NYC nights. i think they're March dates for her there and before E starts working. hey...let me BRAG at this thread: in June 1999, i was a proud new owner of CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD and despite there being NO CONNECTION at this date; i insisted to my friend that we be certain to get to the LUCINDA set fully (2 or 3 different stages at RANDALLS ISLAND GUINESS FLEADH) that day as EC would join her!!! :D :D :D it's good to be right (once in a blue moon)! glad i got the photo AND boot to prove it. are mine the only photo and recording of the two on stage from that date? i've seen no other. hey Doc...does Lucinda allow dimeadozen? i can hand it off to you. very nice recording if i recall correctly.
I wonder if Jim was in the band then - that night presaged both The Delivery Man and SP&S.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i believe he was...when i pull the cassette and transfer, i think we get band intros.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
those who do not know, elvis sang background (very understated) and played acoustic for two songs: GREENVILLE and DRUNKEN ANGEL! is the EC & STEVE set up from that night doc?
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:
those who do not know, elvis sang background (very understated) and played acoustic for two songs: GREENVILLE and DRUNKEN ANGEL! is the EC & STEVE set up from that night doc?
Not sure, ba.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1999-06-26

"An audience recording exists" but I don't have it.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you know doc....when the WIKI says those words "an audience recording exists" i can never tell if they are referring to mine??? :? :? :?
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:you know doc....when the WIKI says those words "an audience recording exists" i can never tell if they are referring to mine??? :? :? :?
Big Brother Wiki is watching, eh?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you know what happens doc. there are several people who have gotten my recordings in the mail over the years...andrew, john, david, jack, caleb, dave, colin and more than i can recall. i don't know which were subsequently shared/upped/whatever. maybe people i have sent it to can clarify if they are aware at the wiki. i likey when artwork includes "ba recording"....then i don't have to acquire it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

when Colin B kindly does artwork for my recordings, I asked him to kindly name the recordings a Porky P. Prime cut in honour of the original Stiff pressings and the extra P for my surname ! :roll: I'm digging out some of my master cassette recordings including Royalty Theatre 1986 Spinning Songbook and will be upping these to dime shortly. :P
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote: maybe people i have sent it to can clarify if they are aware at the wiki. :
Hi BA, can confirm that this Colin hasn't attributed anything to anyone on the Wiki ( hangs head in shame at lack of community activity - must try harder). Also wouldn't dream of sharing on Dime without the permission of the master source where known ( mainly for reasons of technical incompetence, but also of morality)

And thanks again for all your hard work on behalf of us all.

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:when Colin B kindly does artwork for my recordings, I asked him to kindly name the recordings a Porky P. Prime cut in honour of the original Stiff pressings and the extra P for my surname ! :roll: I'm digging out some of my master cassette recordings including Royalty Theatre 1986 Spinning Songbook and will be upping these to dime shortly. :P
i wish i had a dime for every time i wish i knew how to dime!!!!!! and glad to know that YOU are porky! i don't feel like a jerk anymore knowing you asked for similar credit to your work. we all know how obsessive we obsessive collectors can be. sometimes you want a second version especially if it is one of your fave shows. now, i still am left to wonder: is GUINESS FLEADH NEW YORK 6-26-99 EC & STEVE currently circulating my recording??? i somehow feel if it was, that i would have tacked on the two Lucinda songs from earlier in the day. i think i was the only one to have recorded that. okay...how about this approach: WHO ALREADY HAS THE TWO LUCINDA SONGS FROM THAT AFTERNOON???? and where did they come from????
blureu

Post by blureu »

You can listen to Seeing Black here:

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/20/133840259 ... ms-blessed
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks blu...TASTY! all that guitar at the end is E??? cool: a little NEIL and a little '78 BRUCE; NICE combination!
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Indeed, ta for links to NPR auditon of this EC-containing nice album.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2011/02 ... interview/

February 21st, 2011

(extract)

AD: You’ve actually got quite a few big guests on this record. Tell me about how Elvis Costello ended up on this record doing a somewhat rare music-only cameo.

Lucinda Williams:
I know. To be honest, I had never heard him play guitar like that. Tom said he knew that Elvis was in town. He was finishing up his album with T-Bone Burnett and he had a little bit of extra time. We had the tracks cut and Tom said he wanted to try and get Elvis to come in and play guitar on these particular tracks. And I said, really? Tom said, “oh, he’ll shred on these. Just wait ’til you hear him.” And I said okay. Usually you think of Elvis coming in and singing, you know. So Tom sent Elvis an email, Elvis emailed him back and said “are you sure this email went to the right person?” [laughs] So he came in early one evening, we had some dinner and were recording over at Capitol. He came in and sat in the control room, had three or four different guitars, listened to each track before hand – since he hadn’t heard them yet – and just started shredding. It was just amazing to watch. I was in there watching him. Again, it kicked it up a notch or two. He ended up on three tracks: “Buttercup,” “Seeing Black” and “Convince Me.”
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Again, thanks for the info on which tracks are supposed to have recorded-Costello. In my powerfully-deceiving imagination yesterday, I though I heard his vocal on a few more ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

okay all...especially DOC (my uploader!) i'm transferring 6-26-99 Lucinda Guiness Fleadh Randall's Island w/ guest E Costello right now. tape sounds nice enough!

PINEOLA
METAL FIRECRACKER
CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
DRUNKEN ANGEL
GREENVILLE
CAN'T LET GO
CHANGE THE LOCKS
JOY

a very TASTEFULLY restrained EC on acoustic guitar and bvox only on Drunken Angel and Greenville. must see if a photo shopping friend could enlarge my good, but faraway photo for some top COLIN artwork!!!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:okay all...especially DOC (my uploader!) i'm transferring 6-26-99 Lucinda Guiness Fleadh Randall's Island w/ guest E Costello right now. tape sounds nice enough!

PINEOLA
METAL FIRECRACKER
CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
DRUNKEN ANGEL
GREENVILLE
CAN'T LET GO
CHANGE THE LOCKS
JOY

a very TASTEFULLY restrained EC on acoustic guitar and bvox only on Drunken Angel and Greenville. must see if a photo shopping friend could enlarge my good, but faraway photo for some top COLIN artwork!!!
Looks good. Snail mail it to me when ready.