EC at McCartney's birthday party picture

Pretty self-explanatory
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

All final say on opinions of beauty and humor is the moderators, who I will support whole-heartedly to the end.
8)
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

cheers, mate :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oh my God, Crow, you know that Ringo used to be on those old episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine, don't you? :)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah...thats why I said...
Ringo Starr will mainly be the man that voiced a million trains to me, and a fat controller.
He means more to me as the voice of Thomas, Gordon, Percy (the rebellious heart) et al, than he does as someone who was in the background to Paul and Jon. I like him a lot, seems like he's a great bloke.
He never lost his accent as well, unlike Paul!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

No, I knew when you mentioned that you must have watched those episodes. My Jordan, now almost 12, began watching those at about age 2 and could watch them hours at a time. It's just funny to see someone post on here about Thomas. All my kids still kind of have a soft spot for Thomas, they all love trains, and now my 3 year-old nephew is into it.

There will never be another Mr. Conductor like Ringo. :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

They eventually replaced him with George Carlin, who was pretty funny, but he was no Ringo!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Spooky, it's gladdening to see that those programmes still are watched by kids today, they're so great. Did you know that Sir Toppenhat in the US is called The Fat Controller over here...? Now thats political corrctness for you!

The man is clearly calorifically-challenged!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I always wanted him to tell those kids in his nice soft conductor voice that he was a Beatle or something. You know, like on the side, nonchalantly: I was the drummer for the biggest band of all time.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

If you play the end sequence of Thomas the Tank engine backwards...you can hear him faintly say...

"I used to be famous...."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I apologize because I know I am straying from the thread topic by going on about this, but I saw an interview with Didi Conn, who was also on that Thomas show. She talked about her first day on the job and seeing Ringo when he came in. When the producers introduced her to Ringo she said she couldn't say a word to him at first except, "Oh my God, you're one of the Beatles."

And yes, I actually did know about the Fat Controller. We have actually been three times to ride the "real Thomas" train that travels around to different railroad museums. My kids have all the trains and all the little people, even the wooden railway set that my nephew plays with now. We play all the videos for him now and sometimes I'll still catch the older kids sitting down to watch with him. :wink: Thomas was a good role model for kids because he was always trying to be so nice and polite. Ringo's voice was just perfect for that.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

No need for apologies...what a great distraction!

His voice has such a distinctive property, it's really a beautiful speaking voice.

I used to love the faces that the trains pulled, really cracking animation. What used to get me was that Thomas wasn't in it all the time, but it was his show... we all know Percy the green engine was the real star.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Yeah, Thomas shared the spotlight a lot. But he's so polite, he didn't mind. :)

I can still hear Ringo singing, "Silly old Gordon fell in a ditch." Ringo was so cool and the kids didn't even know.

He should have told them, or worked some music into the show somehow. That would have been fun.
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

I think they both look smashing myself..Though I'd have enjoyed a pic of Paulie with EC myself...