BBC Radio 2 "Sold On Song"

Pretty self-explanatory
Gilbert

BBC Radio 2 "Sold On Song"

Post by Gilbert »

The programme will be broadcast at 9pm on Saturday. Unfortunately, they're only broadcasting one hour of the show!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Four eyes - one vision
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks for reminding, wasn't sure of the day. Does anyone know if it's easy to copy it from the BBC website to a CD? Would it be possible to jusst play it on Real Player and write it to a CD as it plays? Not that I want to do anything naughty and illegal, mind...
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I'm sure you could do that with a dedicated CD recorder just by plugging a tuner into it. Ain't got one, but I know a man who has...
Four eyes - one vision
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Do you have a minidisc recorder, Otis? It's dead easy to record staight from the radio onto a minidisc using an optic line, or, if you don't have one of those, just do it the analogue way. I don't bother with tapes anymore and it's almost impossibe to do it straight on to a CD. Must have tens of minidiscs just of Elvis on the radio.

I was reading the choice bit in the Radio Times today and it said that a little less talking from Mariella Frostrop (sp?) and more music from EC, Steve and the Brodskies would've made it just about perfect.
Otis Westinghouse

Frostrup. I can borrow a mini-disc from work at a push, but too much hassle. Will probably tape it.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Is it possible to save the programs you can listen to on the BBC website?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Another option is to download a sound recording utility and record the show from realplayer onto a wave file. Then you can split up the wave file into tracks and burn them to cd.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wavs take up masses of space though don't they... I think the best thing for people who don't have any software capable of recording from the net practically (in terms of quality/size) is wait for some illegal bootleg....but it'll still be shoddy quality...

if they deny us the rights to buy, then someone will steal.

Why don't the bbc run some kind of service where they burn you programs onto a cd for say, a fiver (a.k.a a bluey).
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Was pretty damn cool....only an hour though :(

They played (hmm lets see)

Accidents
Shot with his own gun
Someone took the words away
Shipbuilding
Pills and Soap
My Mood Swings
Still
Man out of time

Is that it? Highlight for me was the Brodsky version of My Mood Swings....sounded excellent. Glad I committed it to tape now, even though I had to change sides halfway through Still (oh well, it sounds exactly the same as the single version anyhoo).

Why didn't Jon Ross present this, like he did for the WIWC one 2yrs ago...that woulda been more amusing than Mariella 'all I did was read your press cuttings and liner notes' Frostrup.

Another thing about that night to those who were there...did they open up the floor to questions? That would be something I'd love to see, especially ftom EC diehards, some serious musical questioning.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Those who missed it (like me), can check it out here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/ ... lvis.shtml
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Three grumbles: He was always either too close to the mic or too far away, Mariella Frostrup was annoying and I wouldn't say it was a little boring but.....

Now I know why VG was disappointed after the Festival Hall concert.

My Mood Swings was brilliant.
Otis Westinghouse

Dang, was in London living it up and forgot it was on. So, just the website for a week to listen to.

I don't recall what VG said about the RFH, but for me the masterly use of the mic (normal for most songs, further away from it and more low key for North, hand held and in his mouth almost for Pills and Soap, not at all at the end) was a highlight of the gig.

Looking forward to checking this out, but not Mariella 'It's Pretty Easy To Make A Career Out Of A Sexy Voice' Frostrup.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/ ... 86,00.html

The first word Elvis Costello ever said was "skin". He had heard it often enough, on Sinatra's I've Got You Under My Skin, for it to be his first utterance, he told Mariella Frostrup on Elvis Costello - Sold on Song (Radio 2), "before 'Daddy' or anything. It sounds a little cute," he added, "but it's true".
This anecdote makes sense with Costello, a singer-songwriter whose best work - whether songs of twisted, broken love, or bitter political visions - has always had the power to creep under your skin. Reviews of his latest album, North, may have been tepid, but this song-and-chat performance was a blistering showcase for his distinctive voice and vision.

The snippets of interview were a little gushing and light, and there were moments when Costello and Frostrup appeared to be having entirely different conversations. As she stepped up on stage for the first time, he mimicked a This is Your Life moment. "Eamonn, Eamonn," he cried, obviously meaning Andrews, "you've changed terribly." Frostrup struggled to be heard. "Yes, I thought I'd shave off my beard," she eventually said. Whose beard would that be?

Later, she asked her best - or at any rate, oddest - question. "Do you think it's hard to be angry when you're sitting down?" Costello at least seemed to know what she was on about. "You'd be surprised," he said with a meaningful little laugh to himself.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

laughingcrow wrote:Another thing about that night to those who were there...did they open up the floor to questions?

No they didn't. The show was on for 2 sets of an hour and a quarter. Mariella stuck to scripted questions.
laughingcrow wrote:That would be something I'd love to see, especially ftom EC diehards, some serious musical questioning.
I would had asked him if Bruce Thomas would be invited to the wedding.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looking forward to checking this out, but not Mariella 'It's Pretty Easy To Make A Career Out Of A Sexy Voice' Frostrup.
She's supposed to have a sexy voice? She sounds like a 65 year old woman to me!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

At least she's a better Swede (she is Swedish, isn't she?) than Ulrika(ka ka ka) Johnson.

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looking forward to checking this out, but not Mariella 'It's Pretty Easy To Make A Career Out Of A Sexy Voice' Frostrup.
She's supposed to have a sexy voice? She sounds like a 65 year old woman to me!
People do apparently rave about her voice being sexy. She sounds like she smokes WAY too much to me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:At least she's a better Swede (she is Swedish, isn't she?) than Ulrika(ka ka ka) Johnson.

http://www.mynottinghill.co.uk/nottingh ... ostrup.htm
According to this, she was born in Oslo, but raised here in Dublin. So she's a Dubliner.
Otis Westinghouse

My Notting Hill indeed. There's no Dublin in the accent, is there? Chain-smoking old hag or not, I would succumb to the lure of that voice.