"I Hope"? Does anyone have it?

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

"I Hope"? Does anyone have it?

Post by cwr »

In a global economy where the Internet has a tendency to spread things around very quickly, it seems weird that there are still regional bonus tracks.

Does anyone out there have "I Hope" from the Japanese version of NR? And what are the odds that this will somehow become available in the US in some format? I'd love to hear it...
wordnat

Re: "I Hope"? Does anyone have it?

Post by wordnat »

it's listed as the 17th track in the U.S. iTunes store....
cwr

Post by cwr »

Wow, that's sort of a good news/bad news situation, isn't it?

On the one hand, you can buy the track with the click of a button. On the other, if you're already buying NR via nationalransom.com to get the 4-tracks on the National Ransack EP, it means you have to buy the album TWICE to get "I Hope."

Considering that I'll be buying NR on CD (just to have it, as I have all other EC albums on disc) and LP ('cause it's the nicest option and feels most like the format it's intended for, since EC does say so himself), I'm not sure I'm gonna wanna shell out another 10 bucks just to have "I Hope" unless I find myself with an iTunes giftcard at some point. Even then, it will be an extravagance...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's available now as an individual download on iTunes in the UK, Australia, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, France, Norway, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Portugal, and probably some other countries.

It's listed in the US and Canada stores with a November 2 release date, but we may not know until then whether it's available on its own or as an "album only" download. Obviously it's a good sign that the other stores are selling it on its own.

I actually couldn't find an iTunes store which had National Ransom but didn't have "I Hope."
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I bought it for 79p earlier today on UK iTunes.
So no need for further major cash layout!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
cwr

Post by cwr »

Oh, that's a relief. I quite happily bought "What Lewis Did Last", the superb bonus track from Secret, Profane & Sugar Cane, since it was--and IS-- available as an individual download. Meanwhile, "Dirty Rotten Shame" was only available as a pre-order bonus track of the whole album, so I had to resort the kindness of strangers in order to obtain an mp3 of it. I love bonus tracks, but not when they mean fans have to buy whole albums multiple times to obtain them...

If you don't own "What Lewis Did Last", I can't recommend it highly enough. You can buy it for a dollar at Amazon right now! Although I'm not sure of its availability in regions outside the US, sorry...
And No Coffee Table

It's now available on iTunes in the US ($0.99) and Canada ($1.29).
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Sounds like something from The Clarksdale Sessions.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

It's great and all, but I still think the distorted guitar version from Birmingham packs a more powerful punch. Regardless, I'm gonna make this the last track of National Ransack, because A Voice In The Dark is just too perfect an ender.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I agree. It's perfect opening/closing sequencing. Start off with a proto-grunge rocker and finish up with a ersatz Cole Porter song.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I also made it the last track of "National Ransack"!
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I'm trying to figure out who plays what... it sounds like EC on guitar, Pete on drums, Steve on organ... but I can't tell if it's Davey on electric bass or Dennis Crouch on upright bass.
And No Coffee Table

The Lies & Inventions section of the official site implies that it's Davey on bass.
Two days of sessions later take place at Village Recorders, Los Angeles at which The Coward Brothers are accompanied by Davey Faragher and Pete Thomas. A small twelve-piece orchestra is also recorded. Songs recorded included, "Five Small Words", "Big Boys Cry" and "I Hope"
Ransom, Ransack, and "I Hope" all fit on one CDR running 79:50.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I take back what I said about the Birmingham version having more of a punch. Upon repeated listens, the studio version is amazing, especially Elvis's guitar work.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Lester Burnham wrote:I'm trying to figure out who plays what... it sounds like EC on guitar, Pete on drums, Steve on organ... but I can't tell if it's Davey on electric bass or Dennis Crouch on upright bass.
EDIT: Turns out it's Davey. Wasn't part of the Nashville sessions with the Canes, so it must have been cut in LA with Mr. F.