HOW WAS YOUR FIRST TIME?

Pretty self-explanatory
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

I don't remember when it was, but I hated it. Couldn't stand this guys voice. I think the song was Alison. Well, it grew on me and I soon found myself liking Ship Building, Pump It Up and She. I then got sick of the select few songs and washed my hands of him until I saw him host the Letterman Show. Before then I had never really paid attention to Elvis, the man, and not EC, the guy with that annoyingly catchy voice. I ran out and bought When I Was Cruel and absolutely loved it! Why didn't I see it sooner? He's a great musician and his voice is unique. Such a refreshing break from all this pop-crap. Now on to North, I'm loving the lighter side of Elvis.

8)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Same as bobster - SNL when I was 14 almost 15 - changed my life. Back in the semi-rural/suburban middle class NH Elvis = Punk Rock - I was a convert.

Before that, I'd seen the MAIT album cover and assumed that he was an Elvis Presley impersonator (hey - Sha Na Na had a tv show - I didn't think it so far fetched).
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Hearing Less Than Zero on the radio in 1977 when I was 16 , then hearing Red Shoes a few days later. End of story

And well Bobster - I dont know if this is what Mis BA actually meant - and I know Ive got a dirty mind and all - but well - the phrase - Cum Poker - does bring some interesting things to mind. :shock:
Danny

Post by Danny »

Loved Oliver's Army as a kid in 1979 but didn't take it any further. Then in about 1981 my dad was going to go to see Elvis Costello and The Attractions in Cardiff, and some bloke in work had taped him a selection of the hits up till then. He'd play the tape in the car and I didn't really absorb the songs properly.

Then one night in bed about two years later - don't know why - I popped the tape into the household Sony Walkman - not having previously used a Walkman before. Suddenly the songs I'd heard loads of times in my dad's crappy car tape player leapt into vivid and thrilling life - in the dark, in stereo, in my head.

Those melodies! That voice! Those lyrics! Those arrangements!

That was it - as everyone's said: "I had to have everything he'd ever put out" etc...

It's annoying being an Elvis fan though, cos it's hard to get over to people how great he is: even if you burn a CD for mates, his voice takes quite a while to 'get', and people don't often go the distance and give it another listen. So a lot of people go through their whole lives not realising what they're missing! I feel particularly sorry for people who are into dreary bands like Coldplay and Travis, thinking they're good - Christ, if only they knew what they're missing!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:shock: Travis and Coldplay aren't that bad!!!
A rope leash

The War

Post by A rope leash »

I went from hippie to flyboy in a matter of weeks, and from hickdom to hipdom in a few weeks more.

That's the appeal of the military to white trash dogs. If you want to get out of Bumfuck Arkansas, the military invites you away.

It was a tiny one bedroom apartment in a small but growing town in northern California where I lived off-base with my first wife. It was a poverty neighborhood, but it was clean, nice weather ghetto, with cool people who just liked to party.

I was into classic rock and some jazz. I liked Jethro Tull, Yes, Jimi Hendrix, and ZZ Top, and Alice Cooper, even, along with a side fascination with Frank Zappa, and some of the guys who played with him, like Jean-Luc Ponty or George Duke. But the new bands of the time, like Journey, Foreigner, or Van Halen were just not feeding my brain what it wanted.

It it is now a pleasant memory. My first wife and I were poor but happy. Sunshine does that. We listened to the coolest radio stations we had ever heard, and tried not to seem like complete hayseeds. They were playing a lot of Elvis, "Red Shoes", and "Waiting for the End", and "Detectives". We took notice.

The military is also good for demonstrating to the uninitiated the concept of wage slavery that is so vital to capitalism and the American way of life. I busted my ass in a civil engineering squadron, trying hard to fake right while staying true to my hippie-pinko tendencies.

I came home after one particularly laborious day in paradise to find that my wife had bought beer instead of pot, and a new LP record. She was holding the sleeve in her hand. She pointed to the Longines Symphonette, and handed me a "Coors".

I'd never had a "Coors". I bent over and laid the needle down on "My Aim is True", and turned away, and surveyed my particle board estate, and popped the top, took a sip. Behind me, to my startlement, it was if a stranger was in the house...talking to me:

Now that your picture's in the paper being rhythmically admired
And you can have anyone that you have ever desired,
All you gotta tell me now is why, why, why, why.

Welcome to the workin' week.
Oh i know it don't thrill you, i hope it don't kill you.
You gotta do it till you're through it so you better get to it.

All of your family had to kill to survive,
And they're still waitin' for their big day to arrive.
But if they knew how i felt they'd bury me alive.

Oh i know it don't thrill you, i hope it don't kill you.
You gotta do it till you're through it so you better get to it.

I hear you sayin', "hey, the city's alright,
When you only read about it in books.
Spend all your money gettin' so convinced
That you never even bother to look.
Sometimes i wonder if we're livin' in the same land,
Why d'you wanna be my friend when i feel like a juggler
Running out of hands?

Welcome to the workin' week, oh, welcome to the working week.

...and the stranger has been with me ever since.

I quit the Air Force, and joined the Elvis Army, and adopted the everlasting grin of the irritatingly persistant shit-stirrer: knowing, correct, and deadly accurate, entrenched in a war against the obviously unfair, a losing battle, of which righteousness of cause can be the only prize.

Long live The King. Declan the First!
Last edited by A rope leash on Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I busted my ass in a civil engineering squadron
You were in a squadron (as in) to fly planes, or to study civil engineering?

Was it a Goon Squad(ron)?
A rope leash

Crapentry

Post by A rope leash »

I was a carpenter in the Air Force. I don't quite remember, but a "squadron" is like an Army "division". A "flight" is like a "platoon".

Ecetera.

I mostly did maintenance on buildings, and never flew much. The military has a way of naming things that makes them seem a lot more important than they really are. It's a joke, really.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I like classic Alice Cooper btw, a real rock pioneer.
A rope leash

Yep

Post by A rope leash »

Love it to Death

I'd say he started a genre.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Love It To Death is amazing
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Alice Cooper was just here in Huntsville for our Big Spring Jam city music festival. I didn't get to go because something came up, but I heard that he was great.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Alice Cooper is in a quite funny advert over here for Sky TV with Ronnie Corbett. I think you can see it here.

Wonder what he thinks of the words "credibility" "toilet" "the" and "down".
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I'm sure this has been told before, but here goes:

Boulder, 1983. Shopping in used-record store for more Steely Dan. Ran across This Year's Model, and was struck by the cover. Had heard of him, due to Everyday I Write The Book, but it hadn't made too much of an impression. However, I have a profound weakness for nerds in glasses, so I bought TYM based solely on the picture. Was completely, utterly, overwhelmingly taken with it. I discovered that one of my roommates had MAIT and Trust in her collection, and couldn't figure out how I had managed to overlook them. I stole them from her when she moved out; didn't feel too bad about it due to the damage her marauding pet rabbit inflicted upon all of my shoes. I have since bought my own copies of them, and every other one before and since.

Linda, if you're out there, sorry, and thanks!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on