The Augmented Canes! PT on the kit!
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Canes play Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, Oct. 1-3 '1

Post by johnfoyle »

http://everythingwedidbelieve.blogspot. ... eview.html
October 3, 2010

Harley Ledbetter

(extract)

Around 3ish, I found myself in front of Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes. I was expecting to hear the old school Pop Elvis, instead I got more a Bluegrass/country Elvis. After couple songs I left to get ready for Patti Smith.

http://lostinamerica-deeg.blogspot.com/ ... unday.html

Deeg

Oct.4 '10

(extract)

Next up was a festival regular, Elvis Costello. He's here every year in one form or another, and like Richard Thompson can be something of a chameleon. Unlike RT, though, Elvis is a passionate interpreter of other folks songs. That can be fascinating but a little frustrating when you love Elvis in his basic, rock 'n roll incarnation singing his own brilliant compositions. We heard him today with a band including the likes of Jim Lauderdale, dobro legend Jerry Douglass and Elvis stalwart and super-drummer Pete Thomas. It was a country-themed set, with only four or five Elvis compositions - and none of his signature classics. He gave us some interesting covers - John Lennon's "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away", his classic cover of the Dead's "Friend of the Devil", etc. It was a little bit of a mixed bag of a set - it would have been nice to hear him rock out on one or two of his classics at least. Even for his encore he reached deep into the cover pile for "Happy" - the Keith Richards composition that you normally only hear when Mick Jagger is back stage shooting up (with B-12, of course). When your encore is a cover of a Stones' song that Mick doesn't even sing, you certainly aren't pandering.

http://blog.dailycal.org/arts/2010/10/post-6010/

David Wagner
October 4, 2010

(extract)

Elvis Costello isn’t angry anymore. Maybe he read some self-help books, adopted a healthier diet or started doing yoga. Whatever his secret is, he no longer emits that angry young man vibe he had going on during his iconic late ‘70s/early ‘80s period. Instead of spewing invective and borderline misogynist rage, the current Costello is all about being a dapper, cheery, crowd-pleasing showman. And he, along with his backing seven-piece string band on steriods, stole the show Sunday at Hardly Strictly.

Costello’s set balanced his best new songs (“Sulphur to Sugarcane,” “National Ransom”) with classics stretching all the way back to his debut album (“The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes,” “Blame it on Cain”). His quest to put on the most satisfying show possible led him to cover such universal favorites as the Beatles (“You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away,” played in medley with his own “New Amsterdam”), the Rolling Stones (“Happy,” during the encore) and that other singer that goes by the name of Elvis (“Mystery Train,” with altered lyrics and song structure).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Brilliant Mistake / Friend Of The Devil / Happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMflczQKO8U
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/ar ... 339701.jpg

Photos: Liz Hafalia / The Chronicle
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Blue Moon Of Kentucky (Del McCoury Band with Elvis): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgphfOF3azY
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

He's working his way through THE SUN SESSIONS!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:He's working his way through THE SUN SESSIONS!
:lol:

Can't wait until Tomorrow Night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_16301498

Wallace Baine, Baine Street: How to behave with a backstage pass

10/10/2010

Friends, I have amazing self-control -- seriously, I am one cool customer.

See, last weekend, I could have easily displayed to the world the drooling idiot that, deep inside, I know myself to be. I could have disgraced my family's good name with outbursts of unbecoming geeky enthusiasm and excitement. I could have grinned and pointed and blurted out inane blatherings that would have made me socially radioactive to anyone within 50 feet of me.

But I didn't do that. I showed poise and sophistication. Not only did I not act like I'd just fallen off the turnip truck, I acted like I'd never even laid eyes on a turnip. In fact, if I'd fallen off any truck, it was the cool cucumber truck.

Am I proud of myself? You're darn right I am. I mean, what would you do if you were sitting on a couch only to look up and see Emmylou Harris sitting five feet from the end of your nose? What would you do if Joan Baez suddenly materialized beside you with that dazzling smile and those famous apple cheeks? What would you do if Elvis Costello asked you if he could cut in line for the bathroom?

This is the kind of thing that happens when you get yourself a backstage pass to the insanely fabulous Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. My friends at KPIG asked me to come along to Hardly Strictly to help introduce the acts on stage and, well, science doesn't have an instrument fast enough to measure the time I spent thinking about it before saying yes.

And that is how I came by the experience of stepping up to a live microphone before an ocean of somewhere between, I don't know, 20,000 and 20 million weekend revelers -- people literally as far as I could see -- while performers I had adored, a few of them for decades, stood a few feet behind waiting for me to call their names. It was how I came to announce to the throngs, just moments after the Giants across town had won the last game of their season securing them the West Division title, in a booming voice I had no time to practice, "Your Giants are the champions of the West!" Thus, setting off a roar that would have brought tears of nostalgia to Mussolini.

What I wanted to do in those situations was to tear out my hair, rip off my shirt, dance in a circle like a deranged leprechaun, then fall to my knees and weep in gratitude to a benevolent God that plucked me out of the vast millions to do this particular thing at this particular time. Because that's what I felt like inside. But I didn't do any of those things. I behaved with perfect professional detachment, as if I had done this kind of thing every Monday, Wednesday and Friday of my life. My soul was playing in the fields of ecstatic, in-the-moment experience, yet my body was acting like I was standing in line buying shampoo at Costco.

If you're a music fan and you're not familiar with Hardly Strictly, my heart breaks for you. It may be the single coolest thing about living in the Bay Area, provided you're not employed by Apple, Google or Pixar. It's a two-day orgy of great folk and Americana music featuring performances from just about everyone in the field short of Woody Guthrie. It's free too, a gift from a music-loving billionaire named Warren Hellman whose birthday, by the way, is July 25 -- just in case, you want to get him a little something.

As part of the elite with backstage passes, I was also allowed to attend a Saturday night party at the San Francisco nightclub Slim's that was chock full of famous and semi-famous musicians, milling about, enjoying each other's general fabulousness.

Thanks to my friend Sleepy John Sandidge, I sat beside the great singer/songwriter Robert Earl Keen for close to two hours, jawboning about nothing in particular. It's not a shock that the guy who "The Road Goes On Forever" is an incredibly funny and sharp-tongued storyteller. But it was a big shock that he was wasting his charm on an insignificant speck of nothing like me. In fact, I can't be sure that Sleepy John didn't pay him for entertaining me, as if the whole party was some kind of Make A Wish Foundation show for my benefit and I hadn't yet received my diagnosis of brain cancer.

For a week now, I've been a fount of obnoxious name dropping. But I beg forgiveness. I'm still a bit woozy from that fall off the cucumber truck, and who wouldn't indulge in such a thing after what I experienced?

Backstage, if you're not one of the famous faces or with their various bands, you're pretty much invisible. You can drift through the crowd like a ghost, eavesdropping on Steve Earle complaining about the aggressive possums at his house, or getting close enough to Emmylou to reach out and touch that iconic silver hair of hers.

But I did nothing to embarrass myself or anyone else. On Sunday morning, my teenaged daughter told me that my mission for the day was to somehow lay a hand on Elvis Costello. I scoffed. Even if such an opportunity presented itself, I told her, I would sooner light my hair on fire than to indulge in such tacky fan behavior.

But then a few hours later, there I was, waiting for a free stall at the portable toilets when Elvis himself appeared, gesturing to the stage, asking if he could cut in line, given that he was scheduled to go on in a few moments.

"Of course, Elvis," I said, "be my guest." I didn't sputter, or fall to my knees, or act like a buffoon. But I did allow my left hand to rise up and lightly touch his right elbow.

What can I say? Sometimes, I'm weak.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://gdazzle.blogspot.com/2010/10/har ... -2010.html

Photos by Grant Scott-Goforth Arcata
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

T-Bone Burnett's set (with two songs with Elvis) is up on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=327177
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Sulphure To Saugarcane / Don't Lie To Me / National Ransom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGH6zrnOTCg
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just found these-

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/2010/g ... ain&num=89

Elvis Costello, Del McCoury

Elvis Costello, Steve Earle, Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Elvis Costello, John Doe
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Elvis is mentioned in this article. The city of San Francisco mourns.
So sad, I'm bummed.

Warren Hellman, 77, Investor Who Loved Bluegrass, Dies

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/busin ... under.html
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

A couple of great black and white photos from Flickr:

DSC02369-1 by giant487, on Flickr

DSC02376-1 by giant487, on Flickr

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Also this photo by Rick Alfaro:
EC, Peter Rowan and Jim Lauderdale
EC, Peter Rowan and Jim Lauderdale
2010-10-1031,xlarge.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 11872 times
EC, Peter Rowan and Jim Lauderdale at some stage on October 1st.

MOOT