Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/'Canes play Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, Oct. 1-3 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Canes play Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, Oct. 1-3 '1

Post by johnfoyle »

The line-up ; acts highlighted of interest -

Nick Lowe, Joan Baez, Earl Scruggs, Richard Thompson, Robert Earl Keen, Railroad Earth, Randy Newman, The Del McCoury Band, Umphrey's McGee, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Earle and the Dukes, Rosanne Cash, Buddy Miller, Carolina Chocolate Drops, David Olney & Sergio Webb, Keller & the Keels, Hazel Dickens, Jonathan Richman, Dave Alvin & the Guilty Women, Kevin Welch, Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin, Dry Branch Fire Squad, The Band of Heathens, Laurie Lewis & the Right Hands, Wendy Bird, Mondo Cane, The Felice Brothers, Fountains of Wayne, Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band, Peter Himmelman, Patty Griffin, Doc Watson & David Holt, Skip Gorman, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Yonder Mountain String Band, Evie Ladin, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, T Bone Burnett and Friends, Citigrass, Lucero, Margot Leverett and the Klezmer Mountain Boys, Anderson Family Bluegrass, Kelly Willis, The Avett Brothers, Martin Sexton, The Wronglers, The Flatlanders featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock, The Ebony Hillbillies, Indigo Girls, David Grisman Quintet, The Dukes of September Rhythm Revue featuring Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald & Boz Scaggs, Nathaniel Rateliff, Patti Smith, the subdudes, Jenny & Johnny featuring Jenny Lewis & Johnathan Rice, Jackie Greene, Jon Langford, James McMurtry, Justin Townes Earle, Holly Golighty and the Brokeoffs, Gillian Welch, The Magnolia Sisters, Hot Tuna Electric, Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys, Carolyn Wonderland, Blue Highway, Kinky Friedman, Moonalice, Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes, Bonnie Prince Billy & the Cairo Gang
jmm

Post by jmm »

Looks like another great lineup at HSBG

Since it seemed like the whole Sugarcanes thing grew out of HSBG, I was surprised they didn't play there last year

Looks like there will be lots of people for EC to guest with

And don't forget the prader willi syndrome benefit - if EC sings Cruel to be Kind that would be worth it on it's own!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Awesome. Although, I don't like to see Joan Baez in the line-up. She better not "horn in" on stage time. I heard she totally botched a song with Kris. K and Merle Haggard at the Mt. Winery. This will be an epic weekend, as long as I avoid Joan B.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Schedule - Elvis/Nick on Sunday -

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Once again, I'd like to state how insanely jealous I am of all you yankee bastards who get to go to this.

I hate you all.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Same for us on the east coast :wink:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

...and Limeys
jmm

Post by jmm »

It's not hard to fly into SF and the festival is free - looking forward to our 3rd straight year!!

With Jenny & Johnny and T-Bone both on Friday perhaps a guest appearance prior to that nights shows at GAMH?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Rosanne Cash tweets: "Why would Hardly Strictly Bluegrass put me and Elvis C. on separate stages at the same time? We are both bummed we can't do a song together."

http://twitter.com/rosannecash/status/25876264090
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Once again - screw all of youse who get to go to this.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Wish you were all here!!!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Once again - screw all of youse who get to go to this.
:lol:

Understood.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

not at all everyone's sentiment. :) :) :) please enjoy for ALL of us. and God bless the tapers!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This blogger reports that Elvis sang a song with Jenny and Johnny: (with some great photo's) http://cotton-hearted.blogspot.com/2010 ... val-i.html
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Jenny and Johnny with Elvis sing Carpetbaggers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He4eVcLeLnk
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.demotix.com/news/462208/elvi ... -bluegrass

Elvis Costello among muscians opening Hardly Strictly Bluegrass

The 10th Hardly Strictly Bluegrass opened Friday in Golden Gate Park and continues through Sunday. Elvis Costello, T Bone Burnett, and Steve Earle were among the performers.

The 10th Hardly Strictly Bluegrass continued the expansion of the free festival with the most music they've presented on a Friday.

Sarah Lee Guthrie (daughter of Arlo & granddaughter of Woody) and Johnny Irion played on the Arrow stage. Thousands watched The Dukes of September Rhythm Revue with Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald & Boz Scaggs on the Banjo stage.

On the Rooster stage, T Bone Burnett was joined by friends including Elvis Costello (who will also perform Sunday), Steve Earle (who will also perform Saturday), Karen Elson, Jenny Wilson (Rilo Kiley), and Johnathan Rice (who performed earlier as Jenny & Johnny).

The event is funded by billionaire Warren Hellman who also provided $5 million in seed funding to the news site The Bay Citizen which had a booth.

Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Hot damn.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Carpetbaggers was a highlight of a very good Jenny & Johnny set.

Could see EC hanging around for T-Bone's set but had to leave to make sure we were on time for the show with Nick (WOW was that good!!)
And No Coffee Table

20 seconds of "Friend Of The Devil":
http://www.twitvid.com/CE0PU
And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/atomicorbit/status/26314895803
atomicorbit wrote:Elvis Costello on stage in Golden Gate Park with Del McCoury band!
http://twitter.com/robertuf1/status/26316045194
robertuf1 wrote:Del McCoury, Elvis Costello, Earl Scruggs all on the same stage right now. Emmylou Harris is next. Loving #HardlyStrictlyBluegrass
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

I did not make it to the other side of the park for Elvis, having been mesmerized by Exene Cervenka leading Phil Alvin to the stage to join Dave Alvin on a rollicking version of Marie Marie.

Roseanne Cash was up next, and she thanked the crowd twice for not all going to see Elvis, because she's wasn't sure she would have chosen her show given that choice.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Carol posts on Facebook-

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1FNSD9.DTL

Photo: Liz Hafalia / The Chronicle

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival draws 600,000

Joel Selvin

Sunday, October 3, 2010

(extract)

As the inevitable chill of the ocean fog swept through Speedway Meadow at sunset Sunday, signaling the end to the idyllic weekend, Emmylou Harris, as she has every year, brought the extraordinary festival to a close, as Elvis Costello, Steve Earle and Boz Scaggs watched from the wings. Hellman joined with a handful of the musicians and played one final song for the weekend.

Costello, featuring accomplices on banjo, mandolin and fiddles, caused pedestrian gridlock during his set Sunday afternoon at the far end of the festival site on the Star Stage, appearing back-to-back with rock poetess Patti Smith, who name-checked William Blake and Lawrence Ferlinghetti before she got through her second number.