'Hell has frozen over' - Elvis plays Dublin, July 1 '10

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: 'Hell has frozen over' - Elvis plays Dublin, July 1 '10

Post by sulky lad »

This is probably of sweet FA interest to anyone else but my bosses have changed the rules again now and I've got both the 1st and 2nd off - however, I need Mrs Sulky to get the afternoon of the 1st off so we can see Costello for the first time together since she dragged me into Wolverhampton in 1994 before I got chance to hide my cassette recorder and I had it confiscated by the security. I was allowed to pick it up at the end ( and they'd noticed that I'd accidentally switched it on and had removed the cassette) and I queued with about eight other Hells Angel types who were all collecting the knives and machetes they'd brought to the gig. Which one's yours ? asked the security chap and I had to pretend to ponder between a hatchet, a fisherman's 5 inch blade and a Sony cassette recorder ! Not my coolest moment !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis 'n The Pub Landlord side by side in the latest Dublin 'paper print ad.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://twitter.com/DublinLiving/status/17524069727
wow, super gig by Elvis Costello. he was in great form, played almost 2.5 hours, lots of classics and new stuff. great band, fine crowd.
Felt the odd regretful twinge during the day that I wasn't going to Elvis long overdue return to Ireland, but had a nice evening instead at Paul Smyths excellent solo recital in the wonderful Kevin Barry room at the NCH. The above tweet indicates it was a good show, finally the younger generation get to see what a great performer Elvis is. 'fine crowd' is a bit ominous, doubt if it came close to selling out. Still great to see Elvis back in town, back soon I hope, with The Impostors please.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.goldenplec.com/2010/07/02/re ... ar-street/

REVIEW : Elvis Costello at Vicar Street
By Vanessa Monaghan

There always seems to be one or two artists that you say ‘I wouldn’t mind seeing them’ but never get round to, Elvis Costello was one but I was still unsure what to expect.

Upon entering the venue the first thing I notice is that the audience seems to be more 40 and 50 somethings. Not surprising though when you consider Costello’s first release was in was in 1977 and has an impressive 29 album back catalogue. Younger readers may know Costello from his Austin Powers appearance or his Christina Aguilera cover in the TV series ‘House’.

From the first notes of ‘Mystery Train’, it becomes apparent that Costello, along with his backing band ‘The Sugarcanes’, will be treating us to some country and bluegrass.

Following ‘Blame it on Cain’, Costello, introduces the band which features Jim Lauderdale, a successful country bluegrass artist in his own right. Tracks from last years ‘Secret Profane & Sugarcane’ album feature highly in the set list but Costello paces them nicely with well known songs from his repretoire. A medley of ‘New Amsterdam’ and ‘Hide Your Love Away’ get the biggest cheer of the night so far, until the following song ‘Good year for the Roses’, for which Costello tips his hat to the audience.

The lack of a drummer isn’t noticed on stage and the arrangements of well known songs seem like they may have been written in the bluegrass/country genre. The on stage presence ofaccordion, mandolin, lapsteel, double bass, and beautiful vocal harmonies make the evening more special.

Costello continues, mixing brand new tracks with classics, getting the audience to sing along to ‘Red Shoes’. He also chooses to cover the Grateful Dead song ‘Friend of the Devil’ while a re-worked version of ‘Everyday I write the book’ leaves Costello with the audience in the palm of his hand.

The band leave the stage only to return a minute later for an encore, if you can call it that. This was really part two of the show, kicking off with the well known ‘Girls Talk’ and then ‘Spell You cast’ from last year’s album.

Costello doesn’t talk much but when he does, he is very witty. He telling the audience they would be too old to go to a Dylan concert and recalling himself on the Dylan show and the kids were ‘sitting on the floor wearing their beany hats wondering if he was the guy from The Buddy Holly Story’.

A second encore shows that the band seem to be genuinely having fun and enjoying themselves, with Costello holding his guitar high to the audience, almost whispering and motioning that he’ll do one more. Beautiful versions of ‘Alison’ and ‘Shipbuilding’ blend seamlessly with newer material, the night ends as all musicians leave the stage apart from double bass and lapsteel who end the evening.

Two hours of pure entertainment and fantastic musicianship, I lost count after twenty five songs and Mr Costello never undid his suit button.

(Lot's of photo's on the website)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 44806.html

Reviews: Elvis Costello Vicar Street, Dublin
By John Meagher and Ed Power

SINCE bursting on to the punk-rock scene in 1977, Elvis Costello has flitted from genre to genre with wildly varying results.

Of late, the former Declan McManus has pursued an Americana sound and his latest album, the Grammy-nominated 'Secret, Profane & Sugarcane', takes in bluegrass and vintage folk.

That album was made with his latest backing band, the Sugarcanes, and this six-piece, whose membership includes US country favourite Jim Lauderdale, has joined him on the road.

For those who have witnessed the urgent sonic attack of the Attractions, Costello's new approach could hardly be more different. There's double bass, mandolin, accordion and several acoustic guitars. A drum-kit has been eschewed entirely. This organic, often languid, sound works well with expressive vocals of the Liverpool-raised singer of Irish stock.

Glorious

As expected, there's a strong emphasis on the newer material; although, in truth, the low-tempo pace soon tries the patience. Luckily, a stunning as-yet-unreleased song, 'Condemned Man', comes along to pin restless punters to their seats and it's followed by one of the new album's best songs, 'Complicated Shadows', which features some glorious virtuoso slide guitar from Jerry Douglas.

Costello is an engaging raconteur and his showman qualities are revealed on several occasions, not least when he dusts down some old favourites.

'New Amsterdam' sounds especially fine, not least when its coda fades into a lovely version of the Beatles's 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away', while a faithful rendition of 'Alison' offers a reminder of what a great songwriter the young Elvis Costello was.

The highlight of the night is the sombre 'Shipbuilding'. One of the greatest -- and most subtle -- protest songs ever written, its message about the futility of war is as relevant for those caught up in today's conflicts as it was when released during the height of the Falklands debacle. That it sits somewhat uneasily between jaunty Americana only serves to accentuate its impact.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The positive reviews in Dublin papers get rather odd attributions on Elvis' site -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/yellow-press
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Welcome back, Mr. Foyle!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -01_Dublin

Setlist
01. Mystery Train
02. Blame It On Cain
03. Down Among The Wine And Spirits
04. New Amsterdam - You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
05. Good Year For The Roses
06. Condemned Man
07. Complicated Shadows
08. (The Angels Wanna Wear My)Red Shoes
09. The Delivery Man
10. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
11. Slow Drag With Josephine
12. Little Palaces
13. Friend Of The Devil
14. Everyday I Write The Book
15. Don't Lie To Me
Encore One
16. Girls Talk
17. The Spell That You Cast
18. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving
19. Sulphur To Sugarcane
Encore Two
20. Mystery Dance
21. Poor Borrowed Dress
22. Alison - The Wind Cries Mary
23. Shipbuilding
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
Encore Three
25. The Crooked Line
26. Happy
27. The Race Is On
28. American Without Tears
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Now uploading my recording of this on dime :Torrent #311828 Elvis Costello And The Sugarcanes Vicar Street, Dublin 1 July 2010
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

...and a fine recording it is, sir, many thanks. Good show, great audience. Spoke to one person at the weekend who just loved it. I think she was a bit thrown by the bluegrass element at first, reminded her of the Bob Dylan show here last year for some reason, she probably expected Elvis to be more rocky. Clearly it still worked for her. Sure if I had more energy and, to be frank, money (anything more than €20 these days has to something I really want to see, so €60 was hell of a roadblock) I'd have been there. Elvis impressed a new generation of Dublin music fans big time, I'm sure his easy repartee with the audience, along with the great reception, will have him back soon. The new tunes are really strong & bode well for the new album. Thanks again for the recording, John will post his reactions later.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks very much for your kind comments Martin, I'm always relieved when my recordings pay off !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Sulky - a grand recording , altogether.

So long has been Elvis' absence from a Dublin stage and so much has been the conjecture as to why this has been so I was nervously anticipating that this show could go wrong in so many ways. I keep thinking back to that time after the show in Amsterdam in Sept. '06 and how instantaneous and , seemingly, automatic was Elvis ' when hell freezes over' response when I asked when he would be playing Dublin again. Add in that the show was only happening by default because of the cancellation of the Israeli shows and it seemed that intention was holding firm until very recently.

If few had turned up it might have merely served to have Elvis say 'I told you so' and we'd never see him again. Alternately there was always the chance that Elvis would feel need the make some remarks in his own contrary way that would antagonise people.

Instead what happened was a evening of great music making with a relaxed and engaging Elvis having the audience on his side from the start with a short and direct greeting ' How ya been?'. Not the usual 'Howya?' but a 'Howya?' with the addition of the all too Irish ' been'. A small word but a huge effect. He says it at least once more in what I've heard of the recording. We even get a fresh version of the intro. story to 'Sulfur, tied into the near legendary appearance by Dylan in the same Dublin venue in 2000.

Hopefully this means Elvis feels comfortable in Dublin and we will see him again. Soon !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Blog account -

http://townfulloflosers.com/2010/07/08/ ... fireworks/

Indoor Fireworks

Posted on July 8, 2010 by pathfinderpat

(extract)

Not only was the music a big change from the last time ( 2002) I saw Elvis play live, but his mood was completely different as well. Throughout the gig, the band and its leader were in a jovial mood as they smiled and joked with each other and this air of conviviality spread like wildfire around the venue. The cranky singer I had seen in London had been replaced by a playful comedian who made jokes about the English football team, Bob Dylan and even himself. In addition, the gospel influences of bluegrass began to seep through the music on stage as the decidedly non-religious person whose words you are reading actually got a spiritual vibe from the music, though it might just have been goosebumps. In any case, I went home in a very good mood and it’s lasted the whole week. I went in to the gig as a bit of a lapsed fan of Elvis Costello, but now I’m born again.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://countrymusic.suite101.com/articl ... -in-dublin

Elvis Costello and The Sugarcanes Live In Dublin 1/7/2010

Jul 19, 2010

James masterson

Elvis Costello and his most recent 'country' band incarnation (The Sugarcanes) live in Dublin. The return of Elvis for the first time since he lived here.

It may have been a long time in coming, but Elvis finally returned to Dublin to the intimate setting of a near sell out Vicar Street. Whilst the energetic fifty-five year old didn’t give it all the hits he certainly put in a show that mixed old and new in well balanced measure.

Men Of Many Talents; No Attractions and certainly no Imposters.

In his current persona (having done bratty punk and classical impresario amongst many others) he is back to one of his staples – country lead vocalist with a host of support artists. Tonight’s show included the versatile Jim Lauderdale on rhythm guitar and stalwart Jerry Douglas on dobro slide, as part of the lively and melodic Sugarcanes. The most recent and clearly the next album will be of a country lilt, but also contain the solid intelligent song writing for which Costello is rightly famed.

Sulphur to Sugarcane and a new track possibly called The Condemned Man show his vision and depth – although most of the crowd clearly wanted the hits as well. They were more than satisfied with a cracking rendition his best known country cover A Good Year For The Roses (complete with exceptional slide dobro) and of course the standard Alison. A slowed down version of Everyday I Write The Book, given a country lilt, also highlighted how versatile his own songs are.

Classic Anthems spanning many genres.

The set was structured in 2 distinct halves, with a faux encore splitting the two. That gave rise to more hits (Girls Talk and Shipbuilding) and was followed by two later, genuinely deserved encores, including the brilliant anthem (What’s so funny ‘bout) Peace Love and Understanding. The thoughtfully selected mix was enough to keep the audience Happy and appropriately enough at the climax of the show he gave a country rendition of that song which Keith Richards would have been proud of.

The selection of tracks proved popular. Both old and new were enjoyed by the whole of this mixed crowd. This, coupled with the fact that he was surrounded by a wealth of talent, ensured that overall the crowd were treated to a cracking set from this master songwriter and, as he confired tonight, performer. Whilst famously Costello himself may not be a fan of critics, or reviews in general, tonight he need not have worried - a great set consolidated his status as a true all round entertainer.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The reviews for Sugarcanes show are getting very predictable.

1. Summation of career, mention of 'shifting styles', possible mention of KOA.
2. List of hits performed, mention of changed tempo
3. Single out a couple of band members for praise, usually Jerry or Jim.
4. Positive if slightly skeptical recount of set, surprise at choice of covers.

I could probably write the reviews for the rest of the tour now.
krm

Post by krm »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:The reviews for Sugarcanes show are getting very predictable.

Intersting. I noticed the same things and started wondering if Elvis is too predictable these days? Or is it the interweb thing that increases our expectations?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

krm wrote:
Jeremy Dylan wrote:The reviews for Sugarcanes show are getting very predictable.

Intersting. I noticed the same things and started wondering if Elvis is too predictable these days? Or is it the interweb thing that increases our expectations?
I think the thing to take from that is that journalists are too predictable, not EC. Then again, I don't mind a bit of predictability from an artist. I was pretty sure I'd get Mystery Train, Brilliant Mistake, Condemned Man, Slow Drag with Josephine, Jimmie Standing in the Rain, EDIWTB, Complicated Shadows, GYFTR and Sulfur to Sugarcane when I saw the 'Canes last month. I was right. Would rather be pleased than startled. On the other hand, Shipbuilding would've been a surprise if I hadn't seen them play it at soundcheck - and it was a surprise the week earlier at RFH.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Jerry Douglas has posted a tour diary on his website: http://www.jerrydouglas.com/journalDeta ... journal=69that includes these thoughts on the Sugarcanes' show in Dublin.
"July 1 Up early this morning to fly to Dublin, which has always been one of my favorite cities. Years ago Béla Fleck and I came here as guests of Maura O'Connell. We would play a few gigs together and just have a great time traveling around the beautiful green countryside, stopping at the colorful old pubs where the sessions would last late into the night (until the gendarmes would finally come in and chase us all out).
This time Ireland feels very different to me, for many reasons. The Euro and its influx of short-lived Celtic Tiger dominance have left Dublin seeming a little less Irish to me. I am sure if I were to simply travel to the West Coast of Clare I could get it all back, but I am bothered that the change has been so drastic. It is almost as if an Irish-Flight has occurred. Perhaps much of this has been for the better, but cultural restoration takes a long, long time.
This the first time in a long while Elvis has played Dublin. It was cathartic I suppose, and difficult but successful as we played for almost three hours to a very enthusiastic audience. That much has not changed here. "
MOOT