johnfoyle

Elvis 'n The 'Canes ' touring again in 2010'

Post by johnfoyle »

Yippeee!

http://blogs.uab.edu/ascpresents/2009/1 ... -audience/

Jim Lauderdale Has a Few Surprises in Mind for ASC Audience

Monday 5 October, 2009

(extract)

We caught up with Nashville’s busiest songwriter and performer to discuss his upcoming ASC show and the intimate On Stage w/the Band format.

ASC: I was lucky enough to catch you perform at the Ryman this summer with Elvis Costello. What was it like playing and recording with him?

Jim:
It was amazing experience, I still can’t believe it happened. It looks like we will be doing more touring in 2010. One of the highlights for me, was that we started writing together. That’s a real dream come true and I hope to do more.

Great seats are still available to see the JIM LAUDERDALE BLUEGRASS TRIO, Wednesday, October 14th. The show is part of the ASC’s “On Stage w/the Band” series. $40/on stage. $35/right above stage.

Call 205-975-2787 or visit www.AlysStephens.org for tickets.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis 'n The 'Canes ' touring again in 2010'

Post by sweetest punch »

This must mean an European tour!!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

my aticipation is already getting the better of me.....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Yes,yes YES!!!!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

GREAT NEWS!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I personally think that the chances of a European tour are slim. It'll probably be a muti-date US tour supporting a re-united Adam & the Ants.
signed with love and vicious kisses
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

and any coming together for a joint medley at the end could be called Marco and the Polocanes
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I should think there is an extremely slim chance of a European tour. Can you see any promoter stumping up the money to get them over here? Mind you, the Confederates came over as did the Rude 5 back in the day but somehow I doubt we'll get to see The Sugarcanes.

And surely a concluding song for such an Adam and the Ants joint show would be Stand and The Delivery Man :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Along with Prince Charm School and of course, Little Goody Two Shoes
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I should think there is an extremely slim chance of a European tour. Can you see any promoter stumping up the money to get them over here? Mind you, the Confederates came over as did the Rude 5 back in the day but somehow I doubt we'll get to see The Sugarcanes.
Maybe they''ll come to Europe to do the summer (folk) festivals.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

We'd welcome them in Cambridge... (can you believe I missed Elvis solo at the Folk Festival here in '95? I was at a wedding in Cardiff...).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Related -

http://blog.al.com/mcolurso/2009/10/ana ... rdale.html

Analog man: Jim Lauderdale's career follows talent, not technology

By Mary Colurso

The Birmingham News
October 09, 2009

When it comes to technology, Jim Lauderdale estimates that he’s "somewhere between Loretta and Elvis."

He’s talking about Loretta Lynn, who avoids newfangled computers, and Elvis Costello, who’s entirely plugged in.

Lauderdale, who’ll perform in Birmingham on Wednesday, admits to no phobias about iPods, fears over Pro Tools or apprehensions relating to the digital age.

He’s simply too busy in analog.

"I have to confess they’re still dragging me, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century," Lauderdale says. "I’m still using a cassette player to write songs. I bought one the other day; they’re hard to find."

The Nashville musician, 52, sticks to a simple process that works for him, singing ideas and scraps of melody into a tape machine.

At home or on the road, he relies on a library of cassette tapes, and Lauderdale says many of them are labeled with his current projects — a new single for George Strait, for example, or an album he’s developing with Robert Hunter of the Grateful Dead.

Loretta, Elvis, George, Robert. Add Willie Nelson, George Jones and Lucinda Williams to the list, as well.

A recent phone interview with Lauderdale comes speckled with famous names, and not because he’s bragging.

Lauderdale is a songwriter’s songwriter and a musician’s musician. In the country, bluegrass, Americana and jam worlds, his services are much in demand.

This spring, for example, he was featured on "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane," Costello’s country disc. Lauderdale also toured with Costello’s band, the Sugarcanes, providing tight harmony vocals that Costello has praised as "transparent and essential."

Closer to fall, Lauderdale sat in with Willie Nelson during recording sessions with producer T Bone Burnett, lending harmony vocals to a bluegrass CD

"It’s really challenging to follow the phrasing of people like Willie, Elvis and Lucinda," Lauderdale says. "You have to complement their voices, like another instrument in the band, without drawing attention to yourself."

Nelson, a drawling stylist, offered a particular challenge, holding and massaging notes to his own internal time clock.

"I would just watch him real closely and somehow, lock in," Lauderdale says. "You kind of grab on and hang on, through the twists and turns he might make. He’s so unique and so brilliant, I really wanted to be precise, and not get ahead of him."

Lauderdale’s entire career has been forged through such flexibility, moving back and forth between the roles of artist and composer, frontman and sideman, band leader and band member.

He’ll be the main attraction during Wednesday’s appearance at the Alys Stephens Center, guiding a bluegrass trio through selections from his solo albums.

Lauderdale has earned two Grammys in this vein, for 2002’s "Lost in the Lonesome Pines" (a collaboration with Ralph Stanley) and 2008’s "The Bluegrass Diaries." His latest record, "Could We Get Any Closer?," came out in August.

"I have some kind of subconscious kinship with bluegrass, a pull that I can’t really describe," he says. "I’ve always loved it, since I first heard Ralph Stanley and Flatt & Scruggs. There’s something primordial about the sound that appeals to me. And, if you start with bluegrass, you can move on to so many other forms. It’s such a great foundation for country and rock."

Jim Lauderdale Bluegrass Trio, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14, at the Alys Stephens Center in Birmingham, Alabama. Part of "On Stage with the Band" series. Tickets: $35 and $40 at 205-975-2787 or the Stephens Center Web site.

http://alysstephens.uab.edu/