New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by Boy With A Problem »

You know, I don't think he did any other Blasters songs. They only did Marie Marie because of the new arrangement on the Guilty Woman album. Normally he plays Border Radio - but he didn't. He didn't play 4th of July either, which I think he always played. They played pretty much from the new album, which is really good. Nice song about Karen Carpenter, in which Dave sings about not really liking the music - and an interesting cover of Que Sera Sera.

Dylan tomorrow night with Willie (and John Cougar).
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Re : Morissey - he played in Warsaw about two weeks ago, but sadly due to distance and work obligations I couldn't make it.
Even though he played only 80 minutes I read very positive reviews of the show.
Five songs from The Smiths' days in the setlist, including one of my all-time faves - Girlfriend In A Coma, and Please Please Please ...
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Blue, Red and I will be seeing St. Vincent when I visit Toronto in a few weeks time. Should be fun.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

We're looking forward to it. You'll also get to experience The Horseshoe Tavern, a tiny venue that's a Toronto landmark, having hosted everyone from Willie Nelson and Conway Twitty to the Ramones and Talking Heads.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:We're looking forward to it. You'll also get to experience The Horseshoe Tavern, a tiny venue that's a Toronto landmark, having hosted everyone from Willie Nelson and Conway Twitty to the Ramones and Talking Heads.
Yes, sounds like the Toronto version of the Troubadour, crossed with CBGB. :D
Boy With A Problem

I'm sure I saw Dylan smile at least twice last night in Pawtucket- and his hair is hitting his shoulders - a pretty good time was had - the rain held off until All Along the Watchtower - at which point we were heading for the exits anyway. The highpoing for me was Masters of War. Sound on the vox took a sudden change for the better when Bob moved from guitar to keyboard. (setlist from his website).

1. Cat's In The Well (Bob on guitar)
2. It Ain't Me, Babe
(Bob on guitar)
3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on guitar)
4. This Wheel's On Fire (Bob on guitar)
5. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on keyboard)
6. Masters Of War (Bob on keyboard)
7. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob on keyboard)
8. Po' Boy (Bob on keyboard)
9. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard)
10. Ain't Talkin' (Bob on keyboard)
11. Summer Days (Bob on keyboard)

(encore)
12. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard)
13. Jolene (Bob on keyboard)
14. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)

John Cougar was ok - opened with Pink Houses, closed with I Fight Authority - did not play Hurst So Good or Jack and Diane or ROCK in the USA - I admired that move. The guy can undeniably write a hook and his band is top notch, but I still don't get him and he'll always be John Cougar to me.

Willie Nelson only played for about an hour, but was able to jam in Whiskey River, Night Life, Crazy, Me and Paul, Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain, Funny How Time Slips Away, Always on My Mind, Jambalya, I Saw the Light, Move it on Over, Will the Circle be Unbroken, If You've Got the Money, On the Road Again, Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys and I know I'm missing one or two. But he seriously needs to think about upgrading his guitar - it sounded like I was playing it. (I know, he's had it for ever - but last night he was getting a truly horrible sound of it).
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Here is hoping you 'get what you want'!!! Double reference and all.
Well sadly no 'Please, Please, Please...', nor 'Some Girls...', but hell, who's complaining? Smiths-wise we got 'Ask', which was gorgeous, 'Girlfriend in a Coma', likewise. 'How Soon is Now?', 'You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby' and the nightly opener 'This Charming Man'.

Great gig, loved seeing him at the Brixton Academy, especially as my just over 5 feet wife came having previously renounced stand-up gigs, but the gradient on the floor and some decent wedge heels meant she had a decent view of her beloved Moz. He really is a great figure, there's something incredibly emotional about seeing him in action, 50, fuller figured, well preserved and handsome, iconic, great voice, singing his heart out, prowling the stage, lying down, and finding he hasn't sold out, he's still fighting fit after all his years of refusal. People complain because the set is almost entirely Smiths and the last 3 LPs, but to me that's great. OK, 'Suedehead' might be nice, etc., but there's so much great stuff on the last 3, and the YOR songs came out very well live. Especially chuffed that he included 'Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed', which has been omitted on many nights. He also played 'Because of My Poor Education', a recent b-side, and an obscure Sparks cover 'Moon Over Kentucky; Perhaps the highlight was 'Why Dpn't You Find Out For Yourself', always one of my faves from the magnificent Vauxhall and Iwhich was just lovely, eityh stand-up bass and accordion.

This Charming Man
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
Black Cloud
How Soon Is Now?
Irish Blood, English Heart
Ask
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Because Of My Poor Education
Girlfriend In A Coma
When I Last Spoke To Carol
Moon Over Kentucky
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
One Day Good Bye Will Be Farewell
Life Is A Pigsty
The Loop
I'm OK By Myself
The First Of The Gang To Die
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It sounds like a descent trade-off for your favs- This Charming Man, Ask and How Soon Is Now-glad you had a great time and that there were no sore throats.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Looks like an excellent set list. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It certainly does. And Brixton Academy's sloped floor certainly makes it easier for people to see. It's one of Mrs VG's favourite venues as well.

I'm not sure whether to see him at the Royal Albert Hall or not. I'm not too fussed about Alexandra Palace - I saw Arctic Monkeys there last year and remembered why I disliked it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Others slag off the Ally Pally but I'm a fan. I like the trek up the hill and the historic location, I like the fact that it's spacious and straightforward but not just an aircraft hangar. Sound's OK in my experience. Really enjoyed it for the superb Arcade Fire show I was at. Seetickets has tickets for this but not RAH. At Brixton the touts were selling tickets for £30, £5 less than ticket price, and if you were lucky you could get them even lower. This was due to the cancellation and re-date in holiday season, seemed to mean tickets were still available online very close to the event whereas the original May ones sold out in no time.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Caught the Nelson, Mellencamp, Dylan show last night at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Great atmosphere and a perfect evening for this kind of show, although the $9 beers dampened my spirits a bit.

Nelson was great, as always, cramming 20 songs into 60 minutes. He was in fine voice and playing well. He has really become a kind of twisted jazz soloist over the past 20 years. His lines are strange but beautiful- one of the underrated greats on the instrument.

Mellencamp, the youngest buck at a mere 58, put on a very entertaining show. After the sound was adjusted during the first couple of songs, the band sounded fantastic. Lots of hits (Hurts so Good, Pink Houses, Small Town, Check it out, Rain on the Scarecrow, Paper in Fire) and a few from the new one, which were good enough to make me want to check the album out. Pretty intimidating to be sandwiched between two legends, but he and the band really pulled it off.

Dylan. Well, Bob was Bob. Great band, very rough vocals, and sketchy song selection. With Dylan, it is more like a trip to Mecca or the Vatican. You do it because you should. I don't know exactly how entertaining it was, but I love and respect the guy for doing it how he's doing it. Highlights were a pretty ripping version of Highway 61 and my favorite from Love and Theft, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Others slag off the Ally Pally but I'm a fan. I like the trek up the hill and the historic location, I like the fact that it's spacious and straightforward but not just an aircraft hangar. Sound's OK in my experience. Really enjoyed it for the superb Arcade Fire show I was at. Seetickets has tickets for this but not RAH. At Brixton the touts were selling tickets for £30, £5 less than ticket price, and if you were lucky you could get them even lower. This was due to the cancellation and re-date in holiday season, seemed to mean tickets were still available online very close to the event whereas the original May ones sold out in no time.
Thanks Otis. Aircraft hangar is a good description of Ally Pally. Thefirst time I went there was to see The Jam in 1982.

Thanks for the Morrissey advice as well. I'll see what happens nearer the time.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Newport Folk Festival with my sis this weekend. Should be fun.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, just back from an incredible weekend of music at Newport. So much great stuff over the two days. We saw Billy Bragg, Neko Case, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Avett Brothers and Gillian Welch/David Rawlings, among others. It is an incredible setting for music and a completely memorable experience. I was impressed by everyone, really, but absolutely blown away by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, who I got to meet on Sunday. Here are a few photos my sister took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30803517@N ... 2892/show/

Link to Gillian Welch and David Rawlings' Day 1 set here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/med ... =111463591
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good pictures. What did BB play?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Good pictures. What did BB play?
Billy's set was...

World Turned Upside Down
I Ain't Got No Home
Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key
My Flying Saucer
The Space Race Is Over
Sexuality
NPWA
I Dreamed I Saw Phil Ochs Last Night
Goodbye, Goodbye
I Keep Faith
There Is Power In A Union
One Love
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Got my Leonard Cohen tix for November 3rd here in Durham! Can't wait!
Boy With A Problem

pophead2k wrote: Dylan. Well, Bob was Bob. Great band, very rough vocals, and sketchy song selection. With Dylan, it is more like a trip to Mecca or the Vatican. You do it because you should. I don't know exactly how entertaining it was, but I love and respect the guy for doing it how he's doing it.
That sums up my experience. I don't think I'll feel compelled in the future and I think I can safely say that I've seen my last Dylan show.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I was just telling someone the same thing last night BWAP. I've seen him twice, the first time being about 10 years ago and I enjoyed it much more that time.
Jack of All Parades

Have to concur-having now seen him, in all, about a dozen times going back as far as a memorable performance with the Band at the Capital Centre in Maryland back in 1974-a nadir of a performance in 1986 seated behind his black leather clad butt at Madison Square Garden, as he was backed by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, and the horrible accoustics of the Garden rendered his words a total wash-to three out of the past four years in my local area-with each subsequent performance getting stodgier and less intelligible-I have made the difficult decision to swear off of attending yet another concert-the eternal road show is beginning to wear thin like his voice-though backed by a powerful and proficient band-the shows have become rote, the lack of enuciation intolerable and the site of a frail older man disheartening-I wish and hope he will come off the road-I fear he is the epitome of William's "The Lonesome Highway".
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It probably depends on the venue as well. His 2 sellout shows here at the wonderful 02 were very enjoyable, mainly because of the venue. Great sound & an intimate feel, even though there were about 10,000 people there, inspired 2 completely different great shows from the band. That said, unless he radically changes his band, I'd be content to wait a couple years before I see him again. Like Van Morrison, he seems to be content to stick with his present bunch of journeymen musicians. I haven't seen Van in 6 years, partly because, like Elvis, he doesn't play Dublin anymore, and also because the bootlegs indicate he's gotten a bit boring. Will Bob? We'll see, somehow I don't think so.
Jack of All Parades

You may be right- the venue could be a large contributing factor but his show has become staid, lacking any real punch on the one's I've seen of late- I know it can be hit or miss and I really am bothered by the inability to enunciate as he sings-was only lucky to see Van Morrison once-1973 at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington- the tour that went on to be immortalized on the record "Too Late to Stop Now"-one of my alltime favorites as a concert experience-gather he is such a curmudgeon now and that his shows can be hit or miss as well- also do not like the eternal carping about how he has been 'Screwed' by the music business-cannot seem to release an album these days without a few of these rants appearing on it.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw St. Vincent at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on Saturday with Red Shoes and Blue Chair, preceded by an excellent sushi feast down the street from the club. For a pretty slight woman, Annie Clark sure packs a punch. A really intense show, with lots of psychedelic guitar shredding and some quieter moments as well. It's really interesting the way she combines lyrical elements with big dark brooding sounds. She and her band did not go on until 11:45, so it was a late night, but I was very impressed. Opening for her was a local Toronto act, Gentleman Reg. I liked the playing, liked the girl drummer and I liked the songs, but... I had a real hard time getting past the sort of fey lisp Reg sings in. Still, a pretty solid opening act.

Here is her cover of The Beatles "I Dig A Pony," which someone managed to capture on video...

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.c ... ent=170781
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:absolutely blown away by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, who I got to meet on Sunday.
Nice pics, especially with you next to the glowing blue eyes of GW! Any news of a new record? It's been quite a while, hasn't it?

Talking of which, Sufjan has a new tour coming up, US only, but still no new record. It's been years. There's a remix CD coming out, and some box thing of a live show or something, but where are the new songs?