Elvis plays Telluride Bluegrass Festival, June 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis plays Telluride Bluegrass Festival, June 2009

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.theopenpress.com/index.php?a=press&id=43415

Planet Bluegrass today announces the initial lineup for the 36th Annual Telluride Bluegrass Festival, held the weekend of the summer solstice, June 18-21, in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado. This year's incarnation of the legendary festival features Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Sam Bush, Dixie Chick Martie Maguire, and many, many more. Tickets and camping are on sale now at www.bluegrass.com or 800-624-2422, including a limited number of discounted four-day passes.

2009 marks the 25th consecutive Telluride Bluegrass for twelve-time Grammy winning dobro player Jerry Douglas. Douglas shares this honor with an elite group of loyal Telluride musicians - Sam Bush, John Cowan, Peter Rowan, Tim O'Brien, and Bela Fleck - all of whom return in June. To celebrate Douglas's 25th festival, he will join the adventurous singer-songwriter Elvis Costello for an all-star acoustic set of bluegrass-influenced music. A frequent collaborator of Costello, Emmylou Harris returns as well, a year after her induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Thirteen-time Grammy winning fiddler, Martie Maguire, takes the Telluride stage where her band, country superstars the Dixie Chicks, won the band contest in 1990.

The festival, which was instrumental in the birth of the newgrass and jamgrass genres, continues to celebrate the emerging branches of bluegrass music. Yonder Mountain String Band celebrates their tenth consecutive year playing the festival's main stage. Railroad Earth adds drums to the stringband format as they return to the festival that gave them their first break eight years ago. After last year's modern classical-influenced performance, Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile bring an only-in-Telluride set of traditional bluegrass - dubbed "Punch Brothers Play & Sing Bluegrass."

Known for unique on-stage collaborations, the Telluride magic begins Thursday morning with opening duets from Jerry Douglas and Tim O'Brien. Saturday night, the King of Telluride, Sam Bush, will celebrate his 35th year at the festival as he attempts to outdo last year's set in which John Oates walked onstage for a bluegrass cover of "Maneater." The acoustic all-stars who have defined the Telluride sound for thirty-six years - Bush, Fleck, Douglas, Edgar Meyer, and Bryan Sutton - again close the festival as the Telluride House Band.

Throughout the festival the diversity of acoustic roots music will fill the valley. From decorated Australian singer-songwriter Kasey Chambers to recent US country chart-topper Zac Brown Band; from the hilarious song-stories of Todd Snider to the wailing gospel of Americana Emerging Artist of the Year Mike Farris; from the Australian-English world-folk of The Greencards to the gritty bluegrass of The Steeldrivers and Blue Canyon Boys.

For four days, Telluride Bluegrass attracts more than 10,000 “festivarians” from around the world to the historic mining town of Telluride (population 2000), nestled at the end of a box canyon in southwestern Colorado. With non-stop music on the main stage, intimate workshops, late-night “Nightgrass” concerts at every indoor venue, and jam sessions in condos and campgrounds, Telluride's 2009 acoustic adventure continues the tradition as one of the world's great music festivals.

For more information about any Planet Bluegrass events - including the traditional RockyGrass festival and Rocky Mountain Folks Festival - visit http://www.Bluegrass.com or call 800-624-2422.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Telluride Bluegrass Festival, June 2009

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bluegrass.com/telluride/lineup.html

Friday, June 19

Railroad Earth | Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes | Béla Fleck & Toumani Diabate | Jenny Lewis | John Cowan Band |
The Greencards | Crooked Still | Blue Canyon Boys

http://www.bluegrass.com/telluride/line ... isCostello

http://www.bluegrass.com/telluride/

(extract)

Jerry Douglas celebrates his 25th year consecutive year at Telluride Bluegrass. To help him celebrate, he's invited Elvis Costello for a set of bluegrass-inspired music with an all-star acoustic band, The Sugarcanes. Several of Elvis's frequent collaborators, including Emmylou Harris and Jenny Lewis bring their own bands.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"In the meantime, here's some cool news to tide you over: Elvis Costello's stellar acoustic band, The Sugarcanes, is going to include: Jim Lauderdale, Jerry Douglas, Mike Compton, Stuart Duncan, Dennis Crouch, and Jeff Taylor. I absolutely can't wait for that set on Friday night..."

http://www.festivarian.com/index.php?to ... 7.msg36536

"In addition, we just confirmed that Elvis Costello's band, The Sugarcanes, will be totally all-star: Jerry Douglas (dobro), Jim Lauderdale (guitar/vox), Mike Compton (mandolin), Stuart Duncan (fiddle, banjo), Dennis Crouch (bass), Jeff Taylor (accordion). That's a bluegrass lineup rivalled only by our own Telluride House Band!"

http://www.telluridewatch.com/pages/ful ... lumn&open=&
migdd

Post by migdd »

Incredible! Hopefully, we'll have a summer tour with this line-up.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

johnfoyle wrote:Railroad Earth | Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes | Béla Fleck & Toumani Diabate | Jenny Lewis | John Cowan Band | The Greencards | Crooked Still | Blue Canyon Boys
Elvis and the genius of the kora, Toumani Diabate on the same bill would make for a very exciting event. Jenny Lewis ain't bad either.
Don't know the others.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_12572264

Unplugged Costello plugs into yet another genre

Singer says acoustic "Secret" is about ballads, not bluegrass

By Ricardo Baca

Denver Post Pop Music Critic
06/14/2009

It's an uncontested fact: Elvis Costello is one of the most versatile singer-songwriters in popular music.

In the past six years, Costello has released a Gershwin-style pop record, an orchestral suite, a composition-centric concept record, a live "rock 'n' jazz" album, and a couple of genre-defying collaborative efforts (with Allen Toussaint and Jenny Lewis).

Now comes his latest full-length release, "Secret, the Profane and Sugarcane," which some are calling bluegrass.

Even if he's not crazy about that description.

"It's not a bluegrass record," said Costello, who will headline the second night of the Telluride Bluegrass Festival on Friday.

"It's a ballad record. These are story songs — a lot of which are written in character."

"Secret, the Profane and Sugarcane" is "an acoustic record," according to Costello — a record that throws a couple of his new songs together with some older material (released and unreleased) and strains it all through T-Bone Burnett's old-timey filter. While Costello fans have connected with his many projects to varying degrees, many are finding solace in "Secret," which debuted at No. 13 on the Billboard 200 chart last week — the artist's highest debut in nearly 30 years (since 1980's "Get Happy").

Costello's voice — accented by the playing of bluegrass greats Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan, Mike Compton, Jeff Taylor and Dennis Crouch — and the instrumentation sound like they belong together. Costello appears so natural amid the sparse strumming of the single "Complicated Shadows" (an old Costello track) and the emotive group playing of "Red Cotton" (from "The Secret Songs," his unfinished commission for the Royal Danish Opera).

"I wanted to make an acoustic record, and I've been looking for a reason to record one with my pal, T-Bone," Costello said. "We'd done two records before, and we're always in contact, writing now and again, and I felt I had a number of songs that would lend themselves to what we had talked about — which was gathering a group of musicians and making something like this."

While Costello steers the record, the songs' moods are defined by Douglas's Dobro, Duncan's fiddle, Compton's mandolin, Taylor's accordion, Crouch's double bass, Burnett's production and Jim Lauderdale's backup vocals. Their presence is felt, and Costello has enjoyed working with the guys — and their instruments.

"They're beautiful sounds," he said. "I've worked with the violin in lots of different instances, string quartets and Irish folk musicians, but the specific players on this record — Jerry Douglas is a master musician, and they all are.

"What I love about their playing is that, because they're masters, they know when not to play. They know when to stay out and when to step in — the role of the double bass and mandolin, in terms of driving the music and decorating it. Mike Compton is a serious player, and listen to him on 'I Dreamed of My Old Lover,' and it's his playing that lights the whole song up."

Recorded as performed

Costello and his crew recorded all 13 songs — including a cover of "Changing Partners," made famous by Bing Crosby — in only three days. Outside of an overdubbed electric guitar, everything happened as you hear it, Costello said.

"It was just us performing in a semi-circle," he said. " 'Complicated Shadows' came pretty fast. I looked at some of these slightly more intricate songs — but I don't think anything went past four takes — most took on first or second take. And that's the way all recording used to be. I don't understand what's so difficult about it. Didn't people just go into a room and play music, and that would be the record?

"Obviously if you're making an experimental record juxtaposing two sounds that don't want to agree, that's another recording, and I've made those records myself: Trying to marry things together that would otherwise never exist together. The reward of playing like this is self-evident — the instant connection to the song and the tangible feeling of the other instruments."

For Costello, much of the fun in this project was picking the right songs. And that process is far from over. Costello and the Sugarcanes, as his new bandmates are calling themselves, will focus on the songs from the record in live shows, but they'll also include other tunes of varying familiarity.

"Every so often, there will be a song that people recognize — maybe they'll see that the song contains in it something that allows it to be played by these instruments really vividly," Costello said. "It's not just a magic trick. It requires a bit of rethinking. I'm not going with the style of the song so much as the feeling of the song.

"Because these songs on this record were written over a wide period and brought into one compendium by the sonic approach and instrumental approach, the same can be said about other songs now. It'll be quite intriguing, making for some interesting juxtapositions. With (1995's) 'King of America,' people would expect that — as it's the first record of mine to feature acoustic instruments, and it's the first record I worked with T-Bone on. But there will be other songs from further afield."

Ricardo Baca: 303-954-1394 or rbaca@denverpost.com

TELLURIDE BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL.

Bluegrass/roots. Telluride Town Park, Telluride, featuring Elvis Costello & the Sugarcanes, David Byrne, Emmylou Harris, Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band, Railroad Earth, Sam Bush Band and others. Thursday- June 21. 10 a.m.-11 p.m. $60/day, $185 four-day. bluegrass.com, 800-624-2422
Otis Westinghouse

Great line-up, Byrne and Emmylou as well. Would love to go to Telluride to given its role in Pynchon's Against The Day. Always looks a nice setting in photos from this festival.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I've been to the T-Ride Bluegrass Fest before, and they usually have a fairly wide and varied group of musicians. Certainly not the majority of which could be described as bluegrass.

Beautiful venue, but if you're not used to elevation, the 8800 ft will kick your ass the 1st couple days until you acclimate.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

When this concert starts about an hour from now (at about 10 PM eastern),
it might be broadcast on KOTO-FM and streamed live at www.koto.org
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

EarlManchester wrote:When this concert starts about an hour from now (at about 10 PM eastern),
it might be broadcast on KOTO-FM and streamed live at www.koto.org
It is indeed streaming.

Direct link :
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/koto/ppr/koto.m3u
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://telluride-bluegrass.pmpblogs.com/2009/06/19/126/

Elvis Costello harmonizes with Jim Lauderdale Friday night at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival.
Photo by Hans Lehndorff.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... luride-co/

Jenny Lewis: Telluride, CO
by Nichole Wagner

Another not-so-bluegrass artist, Jenny Lewis, had a slew of fans singing along at her early evening set Friday on the main stage.

With help from her band and a special guest appearance by Elvis Costello, she ran through songs from both of her solo albums, a tribute to Emmylou Harris and a new tune.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist (from wiki):

01. Carpetbaggers - with Jenny Lewis and band
(Costello guest appearance during Jenny Lewis' set)
--------------------------------------------
01. Mystery Train
02. My All Time Doll
03. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
04. Down Among The Wines And Spirits
05. Blame It On Cain
06. Femme Fatale
07. The Delivery Man
08. The Butcher's Boy
09. Indoor Fireworks
10. Hidden Shame
11. Condemned Man
12. Friend Of The Devil
13. Sulphur To Sugarcane
14. Everyday I Write The Book
15. She Was No Good
16. Brilliant Mistake
17. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
18. The Crooked Line - with Emmylou Harris
19. The Scarlet Tide - with Emmylou Harris & Jenny Lewis
20. The Race Is On
21. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

According to the wiki, there was also a live broadcast and a webstream. Someone did catch this?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

No sign on Dime, though they do have Ryman and Beacon shows there. Am downloading Beacon.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tellurideblogs.com/2009/06/2 ... bike-park/

http://community.nodepression.com/profi ... ment_45401

Posted by Steve Leftridge on June 19, 2009 at 8:30pm

Elvis Costello
just wrapped up his set. He's touring with a pantheon of great players--Jerry Douglas on dobro, Stuart Duncan on fiddle, Jim Lauderdale on harmony vocals. It was simply a kick to see him so close. ELVIS COSTELLO! I've been amped up to see him; I mean, trying to pick my favorite Elvis Costello song is like trying to isolate a favorite pint of blood in my veins. Tonight, he gave us nice versions of "Blame It on Cain" and "Red Shoes" alongside several classic country covers--Hag's "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" and George Jones's "The Race is On." Elvis scratched the most itches with a sweet run through "Friend of the Devil"--a moment of communal grinning and shuffling. But he scored a knock-out punch with "What's So Funny...," by which time we'd edged pretty close, just in time for an Emmylou walk-on.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

ImageImageImage

http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... luride-co/

Elvis Costello: Telluride, CO

by Nichole Wagner

Without the Sugarcanes, Elvis Costello fits only slightly better at a bluegrass festival than David Byrne. But adding Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan and Jim Lauderdale ups his bluegrass street-cred exponentially.

Promoting his new album, Secrets, Profane and Sugarcane he played the main stage in Town Park on Friday evening in what he dubbed the “cathedral of mountains.”

Playing classic country songs like Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down and The Race is On as well as Friend of the Devil mixed in with new stuff like Sulfur to Sugarcane, Down Among All The Wines and Spirits and My All Time Doll.

While he did pull out some classics, Every Day I Write The Book, (The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes and What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding they all had a slower groove and felt somehow different in the mountain air.

Towards the end of his set he called out Emmylou Harris for Crooked Line and then added Jenny Lewis for The Scarlet Tide.

More photos -

http://uncommonmusic.org/photos/concert ... sugarcanes
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/deb-pe ... -costello/

Elvis Costello, Eric Kirberg and his son, Cole

Eric Kirberg and family meet Elvis Costello

By Deb Peterson

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ELVIS ON BOARD: Local roofing company topper Eric Kirberg was jazzed about seeing Elvis Costello perform last week at the 36th Annual Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Colorado. Little did he know he’d get to meet the singer-songwriter.

The meeting took place en route to the festival. Kirberg was boarding his connecting flight in Dallas when he ran into Costello, who was waiting for the same flight headed for Telluride.

“I’m a huge fan, and I was really looking forward to seeing him perform at the festival, so this was really exciting to get to meet and talk with him before the show,” said Kirberg. “My wife Jennifer and my new son Cole were with me, and Costello mentioned how much he was missing his family while on tour and he showed us pictures of his 2-year-old twins.”

Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes performed on June 19. They joined an all-star cast of performers for the four-day festival, which included Emmylou Harris, Sam Bush, David Byrne and The Lovell Sisters.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »