CD or LP?

Pretty self-explanatory
scamp

CD or LP?

Post by scamp »

I would like to get some of EC's early stuff but am worried about the quality. I hear mixed reviews of the mixing on the CD compared to the Vinyl release. I have read the Rhino reissues are mixed well but the Hip-O CDs (which are on his main site) are mixed poorly. I have a record player but would have to set it up to transfer it to digital and then would it even transfer to the quality my little surround sound adapter would approve of since I can't seem to be without it.
charliestumpy

Re: CD or LP?

Post by charliestumpy »

As vinyl is sonically superior to 'cut-down' CD, I would advise anyone with EC vinyl to hang on to it-enjoy artwork-listening occasionally/maybe recording it to digital etc.

For anyone who has not the vinyl from 70s onwards, I advise that there are plenty of good cheap CD versions available - just try to ensure you obtain the best-value versions probably with extra-unreleased tracks. Last new Costello vinyl I bought as it was released was probably the '45' single 2002-09-16.

IMO all music etc releases seem to sound better on original format - their release was/is part of the history of that artist BUT from about 1983 onwards (despite their sonically inferior if more 'convenient' attributes) CD etc is ok.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I think the Rhino ones sound fine! And surely the Hip-O ones aren't a worse quality?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Love those Rhinos! They sound great to me, anyway. And Elvis' expanded liner notes are fun to read and give the music some add'l context. The bonus CDs contain some real gems. For example, I'm sure everyone agrees that Goodbye Cruel World is kind of a stinkfest, but the bonus CD is wonderful--like a completely different album.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

Ypsilanti wrote:Love those Rhinos! They sound great to me, anyway. And Elvis' expanded liner notes are fun to read and give the music some add'l context. The bonus CDs contain some real gems. For example, I'm sure everyone agrees that Goodbye Cruel World is kind of a stinkfest, but the bonus CD is wonderful--like a completely different album.
I love Goodbye Cruel World, but I have the vinyl not the CD - I'll have to seek out the bonus, thanks.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I love Goodbye Cruel World, but I have the vinyl not the CD - I'll have to seek out the bonus, thanks.
Yes, absolutely get it--you won't be sorry. It has some really great-sounding home demos, a bunch of live tracks, a duet w/ Nick Lowe, Elvis singing w/ Madness & tons more. And Elvis' voice is just devastatingly beautiful on the bonus disk.

You'll probably especially like it since you like the original record. You get a really vivid look at the path the songs take from inception to the final recording for the album. It's fascinating!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

The Hip-Os are EXACTLY the same as the Rhinos in terms of sound. Identical mastering.

The ones to avoid are the Rykos.

If you are going vinyl then you would need to get the UK vinyl for his early albums - that's the only vinyl worth having of everything pre "King of America".
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org