Lipstick?

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

Lipstick?

Post by Ypsilanti »

If this is a topic you guys have already talked to death I apologize, but it's something I've been wondering about for a long time...

I'm sure you've noticed how Elvis comes back to certain images again and again--roses, high heels, long fingernails, eyelashes, birds etc. But clearly nothing gets as much play as lipstick. I'm not sure, but I'll bet lipstick shows up in at least 30 songs. Clearly it's a powerful image for him--maybe even a little bit of a fetish object. And OK, that's all good--lipstick is an easily recognizable signifier of womanhood in our culture and Elvis always uses the word to good effect in his songs.

Obviously, Lipstick Vogue comes to mind, but also Episode of Blonde, Girls Talk, Starting to Come to Me & Your Suffering Face. There are tons more I can't remember right now--maybe you can.

Does anyone know...is there any kind of on-line lyrics database that is search-able by word? Also, has Elvis ever discussed this? Has a reporter ever asked him, "What's up with the lipstick"?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
pophead2k

Re: Lipstick?

Post by pophead2k »

Good observation. In a more general way, he seems to mention makeup quite a lot, even in his choice of covers ('No More Tear Stained Makeup' and the way he drops a line from 'Say a Little Prayer' into 'I Want You').
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Good observation. In a more general way, he seems to mention makeup quite a lot, even in his choice of covers ('No More Tear Stained Makeup' and the way he drops a line from 'Say a Little Prayer' into 'I Want You').
You're right! Good point. When I heard Elvis sing No More Tear stained Make-up on Spectacle it sounded to me like it might have been an inspiration when he wrote Girls Talk. Just my crackpot theory.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Ypsilanti wrote:Does anyone know...is there any kind of on-line lyrics database that is search-able by word?
It doesn't work perfectly, but you can sort of do that on the wiki site if you choose "advanced search" and select only the "template" namespace.

This will give you the result for "lipstick":
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ced+search
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Notice that he uses the word "lipstick" twice in Girls Talk

Although the second time is part of an awkward (even for him) pun.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

It doesn't work perfectly, but you can sort of do that on the wiki site if you choose "advanced search" and select only the "template" namespace.
Wow! Thanks!
It's wild to see the list--it's pretty big. I think there are more, though--songs where he talks about lipstick more euphemistically, like Episode of Blonde for example.
Notice that he uses the word "lipstick" twice in Girls Talk
Although the second time is part of an awkward (even for him) pun.
So that's like a "twofer"... :lol: