Record Store Day - April 18, 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
woz

Record Store Day - April 18, 2009

Post by woz »

There are many articles about Record Store Day, but I see that Elvis will have his new 7" single available at selected indie records stores http://music.pwblogs.com/2009/04/17/rec ... -tomorrow/.

Slightly related, Springsteen is also having a 7" single on sale for RSD and, after seeing him last night in L.A., I'd recommend picking up a copy of his single as well. The Boss at 59 years old can still rock!

Cheers.
Jack of All Parades

Re: Record Store Day - April 18, 2009

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I would just add- buy anything. Too many people steal their music- hurting the economy, the artist and their local business owner. It still is a pleasurable experience for me to browse in my local store- Rhino Records- and stumble on some treasure. I will be there today as I frequently am and I will make a purchase. The tactile joy of handling the music, the photos, the linter notes, the soumd quality-all are missed in the MP3 world--even the slighltly knowing demeanor of the proprietor-a.k.a. High Fidelity- is a joy for me. It is a habit I am trying to pass on to my daughters- in fact I look forward to a "Rhino run" with them when they return from their studies in Boston.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I visited three Dublin stores taking part in this , Tower ( used to be part of the chain, now indie.), Road Records and City Discs. None of them had either the Costello or Jenny Lewis/Costello 7" vinyl singles. None of them received any , tending to confirm that production problem.

I didn't get anything in Tower but did buy elsewhere. City Discs had a a DJ playing dance stuff at earsplitting level and I got the new Marianne Faithfull album ( second had cd dbl edition for €12) . I got to Road just in time for a 3/4 hour set of songs from Neil Hannon. He did a song each from his albums , in chronological order, including National Express and Woman Of A Certain Age. A request for My Lovely Horse was rejected 'cos it was too late for the sequence of releases! It was great to see Road stuffed for the show. This fab. store nearly closed a few months ago but a rally of support has persuaded Julie 'n Dave to keep it going for the time being. I got the 7" singles by Tom Waits and Camera Obscura.

http://www.roadrecs.com/

Here are some crappy photos from my 'phone camera -

ImageImage
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

went to a couple of stores in chicago, neither had either(???) dave owner of dave's said may. any word?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steven Lebitschnig, is the owner of Fascinating Rhythm, one of the few remaining vinyl-record stores on the Island.
Photograph by: Krista Clarke, Canwest News Service

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Entertainm ... story.html

Record Store Day recognizes bright future for old discs

Record Store Day recognizes bright future for old discs

By Mike Devlin, Times Colonist

April 18, 2009

(extract)

Word of mouth helps, too. Stars like Elvis Costello and Diana Krall frequent Fascinating Rhythm, an enormous Nanaimo shop bursting with more than 75,000 records; so, too, does CBC's Stuart McLean, host of The Vinyl Café, who named the store one of his five favourites in Canada.

Fascinating Rhythm
51 Commercial Street, Nanaimo, BC V9R5G3
Nanaimo, BC , Canada
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

Saw lots of copies of the Jenny Lewis/EC single -- looked to be identical to the one that came out in the U.K. last year. No luck finding the "Complicated Shadows" single.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Picked up two discs at Other Music in Manhattan - as close as I have to a local record store worth its salt.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes sam, OTHER is about TOPS these days...you got 2 COSTELLO? how much there? did they have BRUCE, jenny, whiskey or oasis also? thanks, ba
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bronxapostle wrote:yes sam, OTHER is about TOPS these days...you got 2 COSTELLO? how much there? did they have BRUCE, jenny, whiskey or oasis also? thanks, ba
Nah, got some fairly obscure material. They have loads of good stuff.
I picked up...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Stuart McLean, host of The Vinyl Café, who named the store one of his five favourites in Canada.
Vinyl Cafe had a Record Store Day special today, and Fascinating Rhythm was among the stores featured.
http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php?pa ... e#thisweek
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Was hoping to pick up a few of the exclusive singles at Sonic Boom in Toronto, but I think I got there too late as they were mostly picked over.

Oh well, I'll be having my own personal Record Store Day on Saturday when I return to the Hollywood mecca of Amoeba Records.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.