What's in the news where you live?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

What's in the news where you live?

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I know we all have both real news as well as fluff pieces or silly stories that are going on where we live. I thought it might be interesting to name some of them so we can have a board perspective of what's going on in our respective parts of the world.

In Huntsville, Alabama:

Real News: Eric Robert Rudolph (for those in other countries who might not recognize the name, he was accused of the 1996 Olympic Park Bombing and the bombing of a Birmingham, Alabama abortion clinic) has been in town for a change of venue hearing.

Stupid News: In the Old Spice 2004 study of America's sweatiest cities, Huntsville placed 38th, down from 31st last year. :? Okay, it IS humid here, but this is a gross study to conduct.

Embarassing News: An Alabama hen named Matilda, aged 14, has been certified by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest living chicken. Matilda works in a magic act. From a local internet news page: "Her role is to appear in a pan that moments earlier seemed to contain only an egg yolk and some hot sauce. Her show-biz life may be the key to her longevity. She lives indoors, has never laid eggs and is so pampered she's even tucked in at night. Keith Barton found Matilda at the Alabama State Fair - he'd been looking for a dove for his magic act. He went with the chicken instead after watching her interact with people."
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

the fcuking DNC.

Democratic National Convention.

set for the Fleet Center, Boston, last week of July.

(this is where the democratic party *chooses* the party's nominee to run for president. yeah, like we don't already know, but we gotta go thru the motions.)

because the Fleet (site of the former Boston Garden) is right next to a major traffic artery (there's ONE that goes thru Boston. YUP, ONE. no other.) and at an above ground subway stop, all of this will be CLOSED to protect the Dems from evil nasty terrorists.

we've basically been told, get the hell outta town during the time the DNC is here. do NOT try to get into Boston. fugeddabowdit.

everyone is either pissed, or sick of hearing about it.

and yet, i still prefer being here to other places i might be.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0628/wildcat.html

Air search in Monaghan wildcat probe

28 June 2004 20:43
Gardaí are to conduct an air search of part of Co Monaghan for a large black cat. A reconnaissance aircraft from Baldonnel is due to take part in the search once weather conditions improve.

A number of army marksmen are also on standby.

A garda spokesman in Monaghan said they were treating today's sightings of a puma-like large cat as extremely serious, especially as they were so close to a large housing estate on the edge of Monaghan town.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Spooky, the funny thing is, the world's oldest chicken also made the news in New York...
SoLikeCandy

Car Slams into House

Post by SoLikeCandy »

What's sad about this is that cars run into houses ALL THE TIME in Indy.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/158400-3682-092.html
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Where I am now, in sunny (lovely day today) north west London: Another 24 hour Tube strike tomorrow.

Back in Scouseland: Haven't checked, but someone's probably been shot.

It's been a slow day.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

A thing called PIEGATE.....Some Member of the Scottish Parliament was late for a speech, having been delayed by eating a large pie and beans supper...then when he got to parliament he lied, and said he was delayed by some charity work. Harmless enough, but still a fib!

Parliament demeaned by pies and lies
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

lol@piegate
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

The same as always

1) foreigners gang rape our young girls

2) The swine industry must prevent disease.

3) We are extremely worried! about everything!

4) The weather sucks.

5) Bush is an idiot.

6) Palestine should be an independent state and there is a Zionist conspiracy, meaning that we should support Arabs against Isreal and think that the U.S. is too dominant in its policy against Arabs and Muslims.....which is wrong because we stand up for their rights, .........just as long as they don't live here and wear towels on their heads, suck us dry financially and rape our women.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It all happens here in sunny Central East of England...

1. Woman overcharged in supermarket!

2. Man in Bigglewade sees 'large cat type beast' foraging in his dustbin. He has "never seen anything like it in his life" and he was "very scared".

3. Girl set to raise at least £32 for charity by breaking the world marbles rolling record.

4. Large cat spots "overweight bloke talking through his arse" in back garden. The cat was quoted as being "very wary" of this "Sun reading, vest wearing idiot" but was in desperate need of some left over chicken bones, and was "prepared to take a chance...."

Some of the above stories may not be true... :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Monk wrote:4. Large cat spots "overweight bloke talking through his arse" in back garden. The cat was quoted as being "very wary" of this "Sun reading, vest wearing idiot" but was in desperate need of some left over chicken bones, and was "prepared to take a chance...."

Some of the above stories may not be true... :wink:
Just admit that this was really you :lol: :lol: You can tell us; you're amongst friends!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

1. Los Lobos @ the House of Blues, Anaheim. July 10th. General Admission/SRO. 35$ per. This is good news.

2. Orange County Register...a lightly conservative newspaper representing Orange County, CA, which is arguably the most conservative pocket of a very liberal state. The editors this week launched a photo caption contest, whereby readers submit comical captions to three selected photos of the presidential candidates Bush, Kerry, and Nader.

Photo of Bush holding a broken umbrella in a windstorm. Remarkably silly picture. I laughed at the image as vintage slapstick. It is funny. You need to look closely to verify it is Bush, and not a picture of John Cleese from an old Monty Python episode, and;

Photo of Nader after being "pied", with cream pie remnants scattered all over his face and shoulders. Look closely because at first glance it looks like Moe after Larry, somehow, missed Curly Joe with a pie and hit Moe by mistake! Can you imagine that happening? And;

Photo of John Kerry, looking remarkable athletic, water skiing with muscular taunt and a fighting, determined countenance. Looks to be about 38 years old. Dashing. Adventurous. Fit. Ready. It might require a double-take to make sure it isn't Lance Armstrong decompressing after another Toure de France victory.

That is the beauty of the liberal bend to the press. It is so often near-subliminal, and therefore, opaque to the masses.

3. Jury tampering alleged in case of OC deputy Sheriffs son involved in a gang-raping of a 16 year old girl. The girl was drugged with GHB, gang raped by three guys, and abused with pool cues and other devices. She remained semi-concious throughout, but could not resist. How do we know? Because the whole thing, including the spiked drink, is CAUGHT ON VIDEOTAPE.
It pays to have Daddy as a high ranking member of the OC police. On an entirely different note, using the same logic, and with all due respect, it also pays to have Daddy as a former President of the United States. I am not so stupid as to understand what side of GW's toast is buttered.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

The (only) headline on this week's Basingstoke Extra

TOPLESS DANCING
PETITION PROTEST

Is it a protest against topless dancing or a protest against the petition?

I don't know, I didn't read the article. However, it raises a question regarding English strip clubs - How are the dancers tipped? In the States it would be considered rude not to place a one dollar bill in the g-string of a stripper. I don't see a practicle way for the girls to accept a one pound coin here - and a 5 pound note seems a little extravagant. If I ever find myself in an English strip club I certainly don't want to make a faux pas. Etiquette tips anyone?
Last edited by Boy With A Problem on Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

BWAP: I hear they will always take a cheque so you could write one for a £1. Or failing that if I were you i'd just stuff an i.o.u. note down thier g-string with someone elses name and address on it!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

A hearty handshake and a slap on the back maybe?

''Jolly good show old bean'' :lol:
bambooneedle

Re: What's in the news where you live?

Post by bambooneedle »

I've been entertained by this story as it has unfolded and it was big news last night as he'd sat down for an interview with a top investigative journalism tv show here Four Forners just before his sentencing. I thought it was a fascinating look at human duplicity - at times you feel he's more honest in many ways than the reporters and police who are trying to get him (and sometimes lying boldly, but you ask yourself if it's fair and justified given the question, etc) so through it you see youself in his position. He was just sentenced to three years in jail with a non-parole period of two years for perjury and perverting the course of justice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 523069.htm

My lie was a fatal mistake, Einfeld admits
Posted Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18am AEDT
Updated Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:40am AEDT

Former Federal Court judge Marcus Einfeld has said his lie to the court to avoid a $77 speeding fine was a "fatal mistake".
Einfeld has used an exclusive interview with ABC1's Four Corners to explain the behaviour which led to a jail term of at least two years for perjury and perverting the course of justice.
Watch excerpts from the interview.
On January 8 2006, a car Einfeld was driving was photographed by a speed camera travelling above the legal speed limit.
Faced with the prospect of paying a fine, he gave a sworn statement that a woman, already dead for three years, was driving his car.
Speaking to Four Corners, Einfeld broke a two-and-a-half-year silence on a case that has divided the legal fraternity, admiting he did not tell the truth when he first fronted court over the speeding fine in 2006.
"I lied - I can't say it any simpler than that," he said.
"I told a lie, which was a disgraceful thing to do and for which I've been paying ever since and will pay, I presume, for the rest of my life."
Einfeld also admits he may have lied to avoid at least one other speeding fine before, but he denies a habit of dishonesty.
"I don't think I'm in the slightest bit dishonest," he said.
"I just made a mistake and it was a fatal mistake - it was a very serious mistake."
On Friday, Einfeld was sentenced to three years' jail with two years non-parole.
Before sentencing, Einfeld told the program he would accept the court's decision.
"I realise I have to take my punishment and if the court holds that I have to [go to prison], I'll have to go and I will," he said before sentencing.
"I don't know that anybody can be - anybody who's never done [time in prison] before like me can be ready for it as in that sense of the word, but I'm as ready as anyone can be."
The Four Corners crew travelled with him as he was driven to his sentencing hearing and heard his private thoughts as he faced a jail term.
"I'm hardly at my best, I'm hardly at the top of my life or my feelings but it's a process and you have to go through it," he said.
"It makes me even more sympathetic to all the other people I've seen, it's an interesting lesson in how people suffer in a hidden sort of way, you don't even know."
He says he does not expect prison to be a "pleasant experience".
He says he now wants to begin the process of atonement and that he says must begin by telling the world what he did and why he did it.
"I'm being frank as is humanly possible," he said.
"I think Australian people are pretty good at forgiving people who come clean."
Four Corners airs on ABC1 today at 8:30pm AEDT.

The Four Corners report with Einfeld interview aired tonight on aussie tv. The story about him and his lies gets interesting. Their website has video, transcripts and other news stories on the case.
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/default.htm
ImageImage

radiosweetheart

Post by radiosweetheart »

The 'big news' in Oklahoma is the record setting Spring snowstorm currently ruining my weekend plans...ha! Over 1 ft plus predicted in some areas. Not to mention...THUNDERSNOW :!:
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

All three McDonalds's in downtown Pgh have been shut because they were being used for drug activity. The one that is nearest to where I worked has been closed for a week and the insides have been torn apart by constrution crews.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
migdd

Post by migdd »

ice nine wrote:All three McDonalds's in downtown Pgh have been shut because they were being used for drug activity. The one that is nearest to where I worked has been closed for a week and the insides have been torn apart by constrution crews.
Darn! And I was really enjoying the McReefer.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Not to mention the hash browns.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more