Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by mood swung »

Sam, I hope Mini Dude is back in fine fettle today.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Sam, I hope Mini Dude is back in fine fettle today.
The cast is itchy, but he seems to be doing OK. Six weeks the doc says, since the bone is fractured at both ends.

All his teammates thought the cast was pretty cool last night at t-ball. I told him to go ahead and start marking it up today if he wants.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

Sorry to hear about mini dude's tumble. I'm sure it was no fun!

By the way, is his sister going to christen his cast with the Momofuku stencil? :wink:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

migdd wrote:Sorry to hear about mini dude's tumble. I'm sure it was no fun!

By the way, is his sister going to christen his cast with the Momofuku stencil? :wink:
Yes, yes, yes! Now there is an awesome idea! Saturday project for sure and I'll take a photo or two!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

That sounds awesome! I want to see pictures!! :lol:

Sometimes you just have to have fun with these childhood mishaps. I remember when the kids - yes all four of them at the same time - had chicken pox and I made them chocolate chip pancakes. That made the pancakes spotted as well, so they all laughed. Not so funny was the fact that Doc never had the pox in like 3rd grade when you're supposed to, so he had them at the same time the kids did. Yeah, we'd been married like 3 months when that happened. Welcome to a blended family. :lol:
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

The Toronto Transit Commission went on strike with an hour's notice last night. Effective as of midnight, there were no subways, buses, or streetcars. A lot of people were left stranded downtown, and people are pissed at the union.

They're hoping to force them back to work by Monday, but this could be a messy weekend in Toronto.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Does anyone else think that The Doors' "Touch Me" is a wildly inappropriate song for a band to play at a Girl Scout father/daughter dinner-dance?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

miss buenos aires wrote:What horrible things is the Labour Government doing? We don't hear about them over here...
I would like to know too.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Apart from being a generally poor leader and a feeble follow up to smooth Tony, Brown has shown that he has lost touch with 5.3 million voters and betrayed the historical inheritance of the Labour party by deciding to pretty much steal from the poor and give to the rest. The thing that's making me, verbal and scores of other voters shake their heads in dismay is the raising of the starting rate of income tax from 10p in the pound. This is the kind of thing Thatcher would have forced on the electorate. Here's a good article on how he seems to have lost the plot:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... own.labour

If they go into the next elections with this approach, David Cameron is sure to get in, though the Lib Dems will also increase their share with people like me finally and reluctantly taking their vote to them.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I feel for mini dude. I was in a car wreck in 2000 and broke my radius. When it grew back together, it settled out shorter than the ulna and the difference in length was destroying my tendons and making it difficult for me to grasp things. I had to have an "ulna shortening" where they sawed out a piece of the bone so it would be the same length as my defectively shorter radius. Plate and screws were removed by the surgeon a few months later after sufficient begging by me.
That's not too dissimilar to me Spooky.

I broke my ulna and radius when I was 14 at school. The funniest thing(!) about this is that I tripped over my flared trousers in the school playground! Feel free to laugh out loud!!!

I broke both bones and had pins inserted. Unfortuntely one of the pins grew over the bone and the surgeons made a complete mess when they removed it. On the "visible" side of my arm is a horrible scar whereas on the underside of my arm, the scar is neater :roll:

My left wrist is slightly smaller that the right one but that has nothing to do with... :lol:

I hope the little fella is feeling better Sam. He should get lots of sympathy from the girls though!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I broke my ulna and radius when I was 14 at school. The funniest thing(!) about this is that I tripped over my flared trousers in the school playground! Feel free to laugh out loud!!!

I broke both bones and had pins inserted. Unfortuntely one of the pins grew over the bone and the surgeons made a complete mess when they removed it. On the "visible" side of my arm is a horrible scar whereas on the underside of my arm, the scar is neater :roll:

My left wrist is slightly smaller that the right one but that has nothing to do with... :lol:

I hope the little fella is feeling better Sam. He should get lots of sympathy from the girls though!
Yeah, he seems to be doing fine. Giving him a bath is a bit of a challenge. The doc said that if he were older they would have had to do surgery to set the bone, but as he is still young it should heal up all by itself.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I used a kitchen-sized garbage bag tied at the front and back with some athletic tape wound around the top to cover Austin's. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:I used a kitchen-sized garbage bag tied at the front and back with some athletic tape wound around the top to cover Austin's. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.
We tried saran wrap in the shower yesterday, but it didn't work great. I will give the garbage bag idea a try.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

mood swung wrote:I used a kitchen-sized garbage bag tied at the front and back with some athletic tape wound around the top to cover Austin's. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.
Garbage bag worked here as well, moody. They serve so many purposes!

I figured mini dude would escape surgery because of his age. Bones keep growing until about age 35, which is exactly when I broke mine. Little kids usually don't even get physical therapy after the cast comes off because they jump right back into their normal routine. Sounds like he is a fast healer.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Does anyone else think that The Doors' "Touch Me" is a wildly inappropriate song for a band to play at a Girl Scout father/daughter dinner-dance?
Creepy.

BTW, hope your sons arm is better
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Sounds like he is a fast healer.
Time wounds all heals doesn't it?
legman open to offers wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Does anyone else think that The Doors' "Touch Me" is a wildly inappropriate song for a band to play at a Girl Scout father/daughter dinner-dance?
Creepy.
Absolutely.

I'm still trying to get over this story:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7372477.stm

I was so sickened when I read this.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

That's a rather unfathomable story, huh Verbal?

And WSS, not that we're old farts or anything, but Doc and I both thought the Doors song was a bit out of line, too.

On another note, I just found out that my neighbor across the street learned he had prostate cancer. Doc went over and had a beer with him last night when he called with the news. He's just like 65 or so and his wife died of breast cancer two years ago. I still miss her so much. I wish cancer could be something that only happened to bad people. It just always seems to happen to the nicest people instead though.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:And WSS, not that we're old farts or anything, but Doc and I both thought the Doors song was a bit out of line, too.
Fortunately by then most of the girls were ignoring the music and were chasing after each other, playing hide and seek, etc. The singer started the song and I could tell that he realized immediately it was a mistake. Me and one of the other dads were in stitches.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

In Chicago tonight and for the weekend. Looptopia is here. Problem is no one know what is is. Streets are clogged and I can't get out of the Palmer House Hilton, because of the crowds. But i asked at least 12 people on the street, and they had no idea...just an excuse to party.

Supposedly a music and arts festival. Looks like San Franscisco, so I suppose it is another excuse for a gay parade.

Rock on.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:another excuse for a gay parade.
God forbid.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I just love a big gay parade! I wonder if there were homosexuals there. . . . . .
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

As long as they aren't gay homosexuals.

With the drought receding in North Carolina, I was able to wash my car for the first time since last fall- guilt free!! Now I'm going to try to do a little grass planting (legal kind, kids!) to cover some bald spots in ye olde lawne. Hand watering only, of course.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

California has a ham, London has a clown.
signed with love and vicious kisses
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Why do so many teenage girls want to look like walking disco balls at their prom?

Got my dress today. For pretty cheap. :)
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You sound like the Notorious K T J (my daughter, Katie) - NO sparkly stuff, mother, thank you very much. I - well, actually it was her brother - managed to convince her to get a dress that was NOT black for a change.

This is a terrible picture - you get what you get with a cell phone in a dressing room.
Attachments
katie prom.jpg
katie prom.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 17094 times