'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Pretty self-explanatory
strangerinthehouse

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Mine is out for delivery, unfortunately I have to go to work soon so I won't be able to check it out until later tonight.

I woke up way too early this morning with "American Ganster Time" stuck in my head dreamed that I received the album at work. The vinyl was blue and had etchings in it. For some reason the album was associated my computer's memory and the IT guy at work had to make more room in it because there wasn't enough.

I could hear other people at work playing the record, which i thought it was cool.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I was one of the lucky ones who got the LP from MusicDirect back on the 17th, and I've played it several times now (and taped it for the car). Have to admit, first impression was bad. Thought the production was terrible, didn't like a lot of the songs at first. But I'm very bad on first listens, very few albums I like right away. Especially if the material is new to my ears, and this was the first time since I think Punch the Clock that I hadn't heard an advance tape of EC's newest.

I am growing much fonder of the record now, a few tracks don't do much for me and I still think the overall sound is a little pinched. It certainly sounds spur of the moment, live takes, first takes, no polishing. EC's vocals are often very raw.

Having expected more of an acoustic, perhaps Country or Americana-flavored outing, the biggest surprise was the rawness of the sound and the bitterness of a lot of the lyrics. Not that this is a bad thing. Worried the songs might be a bit on the mellow side, and they're not. Even a song like "My Three Sons", which is about exactly what you think it's about, is tinged with regret and some black humor. I never liked "Double Fantasy", and on first listen I was thinking this is another one of those happy-to-settle-into-domesticity songs. But it's better than that. I can't catch all the words yet, but there's a verse that's definitely about regretting not putting time into his role as father to Matthew. And then there's worry about the fact that he's had the twins so late in life. He says in the deep of night, he's cold and sick, and he "curses arithmetic". And then there's the depiction of himself and the twins at home as "day is closing/old men and infants are dozing". It's not just oh, life is great. He feels the many sides of it, he is happy, he is in love, and he might wish he had made other choices earlier. But it's the life he's "chosen".

Favorites for me are the first 3 songs, very strong opening. Turpentine is probably my favorite, surprised people don't like it. It's a kiss-off song for sure, and I wonder if it's about Cait.

Also Song with Rose, fantastic song.

The rest I'm warming to.

Glad to see something new, hope he keeps putting out stuff quick and often.

Dave
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks for sharing the impressions, Dave! Please report on tonight's Memphis show, if you can.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

colrow26 wrote: Whilst i love the idea of releasing the album on vinyl only im having a hell of a job tracking down a copy!! Has anyone in the Uk actually managed to buy a copy or is this all part of Elvis's plan to p*ss off his British fans??? ive contacted HMv and Fopp in Manchester who both say copies are on order but have not turned up. Ive also been into Bury to the independant Vibes shop who also say copies have not turned up??
Same problem for me. It's frustrating to think that the UK copies just aren't out there yet. I've contacted various independent vinyl stores and none had copies. I've got an order outstanding with 'The Record Shack' online, which they've yet to tell me has been delayed, but we shall see. Amazon have knocked it back to May 5th, Action Records are now saying 28th April. In other words...nobody knows where the bloody thing is. Not especially impressed - particularly if the rumours that the download code will only work in the US are true - although I'm sure my opinion will change when I eventually get it.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Likewise - can't find any UK stores online with the vinyl "in stock".
Might as well wait for the CD methinks - less than 2 weeks away now.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

My copy from Elusive was dispathed from the U.S. yesterday - woe betide anyone who expects service in my shop when the postman arrives over the next few days!

At $32.99 , including postage , it's not too bad considering the strong Euro/U.S. dollar exchange rate , about 20.62 euro.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

migdd wrote:Thanks for sharing the impressions, Dave! Please report on tonight's Memphis show, if you can.

Ah, if only I could! But I'll miss that one. I will be at the Ryman tomorrow night, though, God willing.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

My copy arrived today, right on Fedex schedule. I debated to buy the vinyl, I couldn't wait till CD release. I couldn't stand not hearing the new stuff before seeing the Man this Fri. in Bossier City.

I have read comments here about the rawness of the recording. It could've been the most pristine studio recording ever, I wouldn't be able to tell because of the old record player I was using. But it played well enough to hear his best stuff since WIWC. I really like the songs, especially My 3 Sons. It is just great to hear fresh, energetic, rockin Elvis. I am sure it will come away with great reviews when all get to hear it.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Even though UK cheapest is theoretically £7.99 at CDWOW, I shall happily await HMV online £8.99 CD, and enjoy again & again some of the M ... songs already played on interweb.

As much as I prefer vinyl until CD advent in 1982-3, I am sure that all of the Momofuku songs were digitally recorded/mastered before being cut to the vinyl ...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Actually, somewhere in the above info it was stated that Momofuku was recorded to tape. So the recording, at least, is analog. The mastering was probably digital.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for that - I shall consider obtaining vinyl also (last Costello vinyl I have apart from 45rpm singles a few years ago is original release 'Spike' before I went over to the light side ...).
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Well, apparently Momofuku has arrived at my local record emporium. Unfortunately it's my last day ever at work tomorrow so I absolutely cannot go and get MF until at least Friday. Incidentally, I now proclaim that "MF" shall henceforth and forever be the official abbreviation for Momofuku. The Pope's decision is final and I will not be swayed, unless plied with decent quantities of free alchohol and/or other agents of pleasure... :wink:
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Continuing the search for an elusive copy of Momufuku in the Uk...still no sign of any copies so Ive e-mailed Lost Highway to see if they can throw any light on the matter......
...I want him to hurt...
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

hi there
first post on the board...
just got my Momofuku copy - bought it during lunch break, my fave record shop got some copies - for those in Paris who care, it's at Joseph Gibert.
Can't wait to be home, put on the headphones...
anyway, bummer : I just found out that the download is for US residents only, which I find kinda disappointing...I hope the management, if not The Man himself will eventually sort this situation out....
back tomorrow with feedbacks on the album - if anyone cares...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Welcome to the board, and we definitely care!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

So it's a two-LP set...has anyone determined how long the album is? Under or over 60 minutes?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

wardo68 wrote:So it's a two-LP set...has anyone determined how long the album is? Under or over 60 minutes?
I would guess under. None of the songs are particularly long.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's roughly 47 minutes long.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

That's an encouragingly Blood & Chocolate-type length. Thanks!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Had an email from HMV online today to say MF (OK Mr Pope !) to say they were "out of stock " but would be posting the said vinyl as soon as possible. Now out of stock always struck me as being the same as sold out but that patently isn't the case here.
Hope Favehour has a great time tonight I wish I were there !
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Ahem.... Why not place the order through the new E.C. website - http://www.elviscostello.com ... They support international shipping. This channel might actually put more money into the pockets of E.C. & family.. (...depending on the deal his staff brokered with LiveNation!)
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

baptiste wrote just got my Momofuku copy - bought it during lunch break, my fave record shop got some copies - for those in Paris who care, it's at Joseph Gibert
So MF has made it to Paris, maybe it will finaly arrive in the UK next week??????

In the meantime Ive started downloading Wednesdays Ryman show from Dime a dozen ( thanks for the tip Martin F!)so at least Ill be able to hear live versions of the new songs....
...I want him to hurt...
handsomejohnny

Post by handsomejohnny »

www.7digital.com has posted the album for pre-order (no big deal, I know). However, you can listen to 30 seconds clips of every song from the LP (which is 47:10 long according to them). I haven't been able to find anything on the net - the Lost Highway site just says the tracks are unavailable to me. Anyways, this is the closest I've gotten to hearing what the album will sound like.

John
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounds good, but could only bear a couple of samples before feeling I was going to ruin the thrill of playing it properly!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

This does sound really good!