Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Winnipeg Sun review of North

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis opens his heart
By DARRYL STERDAN
Winnipeg Sun

4 stars out of 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NORTH
Elvis Costello
(Deutsche Grammophon/Universal)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's often been said that misery and heartache are the best inspiration for songwriters.

Well, love and bliss don't seem to do too badly either -- at least, not when the composer in question is Elvis Costello and the object of his affection is his new paramour, Canadian jazz singer-pianist Diana Krall.

North, Costello's 20th studio album of new material, is ostensibly a song cycle about the end of an old romance and the birth of a new one -- but in truth it feels like a thinly veiled love letter to his Victoria-born sweetie. Picking up where his Burt Bacharach collaboration Painted From Memory left off, Costello once again forsakes his trademark hyperliterate pop-rock in favour of elegant orchestrations, small-combo jazz, sophisticated songcraft and earnest torch ballads about how lovely it is to be in love.

With its grownup emotions, candlelit ambience, smoky vocals and yearning simplicity, it has a decidedly more limited appeal than his more accessible discs. But there's no denying that this is the most honest and joyful we've heard Costello in years.

Here's hoping we never have to hear a breakup album. (More on Elvis Costello)

Track Listing

1. You Left Me In The Dark
2. Someone Took The Words Away
3. When Did I Stop Dreaming
4. You Turned To Me
5. Fallen
6. When It Sings
7. Still
8. Let Me Tell You About Her
9. Can You Be True?
10. When Green Eyes Turn Blue
11. I'm In The Mood Again
Liam

Post by Liam »

Here's hoping we never have to hear a breakup album.
Would never hope for that but imagine how great THAT album might be....
Last edited by Liam on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah... a Blood On The Tracks from Elvis would make for an interesting album.