Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I was at the supermarket this afternoon shopping for ingredients for Beef Bourgignon (my mother had bought a ton of mushrooms when she was here and I didn't know what else to do with them). I managed to find everything I needed with the exception of fresh thyme, when for some reason the end of "Party Girl" popped into my head. :D
Thanks for the inspiration! I'd been wondering what to make for Sunday dinner!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ah, it's good stuff. Was just waiting for the season to arrive. Once you get the bottle of red in there with the bouquet garni let it simmer for a good 3-4 hours. Then add the sauteed onions, carrots and mushrooms at the end and just heat through for 10 minutes or so.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Just now. My mother was watching something about the best horror movies of all time, assumedly for Halloween. American Psycho came up on the list. Apparently the guy starts obsessively talking about music whenever he's about to kill someone. He says: 'Huey Lewis and the News? You like them? He's often compared to Elvis Costello, but I think he has far a more acerbic and biting point of view...' Of course, I don't remember exactly, but it was something along those lines. It made me laugh, mostly because it was perfectly delivered. So yes, a paragraph just to say that Elvis was referenced on telly. :roll:
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

lol - my boss made me watch that as a 'training video'
(I work in "murders and executions")
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Could this Danish musician by any chance be a Costello fan?

http://www.joergenthorup.dk/pressfotos/3833.jpg
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

My mum was flipping channels and caught A Black and White Night: Roy Orbison and Friends on public television. She stopped because she saw Elvis' face and said 'There's your boy.' Currently watching the rest of it now.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

After watching Dexter ( the final episodes of the latest series , leaked to the 'net yesterday) this evening , I flipped over to Channel 4 to see the final few minutes of Without A Trace. They were showing the episode aired in the U.S. in Dec. 06 , Fade-Away, which makes very effective use of Fallen from North.

http://www.tv.com/without-a-trace/fade- ... p_title;10
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

.....and channel hopping an hour or so later Irish tv news joined in the collective media meltdown in the coverage of Katy Frenchs death by including shots of a recent Hot Press feature that was imaginatively headlined with This Years Model. It's the Diana death all over again here with saturation coverage. The poor pet, I never encountered here, plenty of her peers are customers. Probably drug-related, it's hell of awake-up call to all the kids dabbling out there, whether they'll listen is another thing.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This mention in a restaurant review isn't so surprising since Ms MacLeod once, when she worked for the BBC in the 1980s, presented a programme about 'Spike'.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... raphy_1989

1989-02-20 - "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Spike", BBC 1

http://www.independent.co.uk/living/foo ... 202013.ece

L'Autre Pied, Blandford Street, London

Foot fault

By Tracey MacLeod

Published: 01 December 2007

(extract)

Happiness is a warm financier. Not only does the madeleine-style cake appear on the dessert menu at L'Autre Pied, this week's venue, but "warm financier" is also a pretty good description of my dinner guest, the Independent reader Kevin Williams. Kevin, who works for a City bank, was the highest bidder in this year's readers' auction to join me on a restaurant review. His generosity benefits charities helping vulnerable and dispossessed people at home and abroad – that's warm financing, by any reckoning.

His starter of salmon gravadlax with curried cauliflower purée was not gravadlax in the conventional sense – the fish didn't seem to have been dill-cured, and there was no mustard sauce in the assembly as far as we could tell. But we were probably too busy talking about what went wrong with Elvis Costello's career to make a thorough investigation. My roasted duck breast was as tiny and exquisite as a brooch, arranged as a circular fan of well-flavoured slices, studded with pearl-like baby turnips. Neither dish was what you would call hearty. "Dainty," we agreed glumly. Thank God we ordered the bread.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Some restaurant critic she! Perhaps next time she should stop talking crap and just conduct a thorough investigation into the food. I remember her chiefly as the woman who had the embarrassment of a disgruntled Ian Brown of the Stone Roses when their gear packed up on the Late Show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zgGTQgvCPOU

I love the way she boldly soldiers on with the spiel about a photographer as Ian carries on shouting in the background.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
PARTY GIRL

Re: Elvis when you least expect it

Post by PARTY GIRL »

Watching last nights episode of Eastenders, there was a scene in the cafe and if you listened really carefully you could hear Alison being played in the background. I think this is the first time I've heard Elvis on a British soap opera before! :D
maybe someday we can go hiding from this world
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I would be embarrassed to admit I watched Eastenders and would have kept that firmly to myself! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So I've missed this piece of epic drama-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/episode ... 24.shtml#2

Jack and Selina get close

Thu 24 Jan 2008

(extract)

The second last scene -

Jack takes Selina and Penny out for dinner and apologises for Ronnie’s behaviour. Afterwards, Jack shows his daughter his flat, and they bump into Ronnie, collecting her belongings.

And with the way you look I understand
that you were not impressed.
...indeed.

............followed by

Back at Selina’s, Jack tucks his daughter up in bed. It’s Penny’s birthday tomorrow, and Selina invites him to stay so that he can spend the whole day with her. She kisses him, and asks him to come to bed.

Sometimes I wish that I could stop you from talking
when I hear the silly things that you say.
I think somebody better put out the big light,
'cause I can't stand to see you this way.
.....maybe ?

Ghastly as it may seem I find myself looking for omnibus edition in the schedule ............
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I just saw again the Season 6 episode of The West Wing, where Jimmy Smits (as Congressman Matt Santos) sings (badly I might add) parts of Alison, because a reporter named Alison gave him a good review of his debate performance.

I wonder how much money Elvis gets for something like this.

Elvis used to joke that he still gets checks because a character sings part of Accidents will Happen in the movie E.T.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis used to joke that he still gets checks because a character sings part of Accidents will Happen in the movie E.T.
I seem to remember that Elvis bemoaned the fact that he accepted a flat fee for the usage and regretted that he was then denied the substantial amount that a percentage deal would have delivered.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

johnfoyle wrote:
I seem to remember that Elvis bemoaned the fact that he accepted a flat fee for the usage and regretted that he was then denied the substantial amount that a percentage deal would have delivered.
Nice move, Jake.
I mean -- how popular is a Speilberg movie going to be in the 1980s? :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From a Costello discusiion on another forum -

http://board.despairfaction.com/showthr ... ost2938171

Michelle Sourheart , Moderator posts

here's a shirt i have

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

According to reports from the colonies Tom Petty covered our Decs Town Called Big Nothing during the halftime show at the big lacrosse, or whatever, game last night. Here's a torrent of it.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1149105
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My son came to tell me when the half time show came on, and I decided to pass.

But BIG UPS Eli!!!

(Giants Stadium solidarity)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
krm

Post by krm »

Reading Howard Marks biography "Mr Nice", I found this (page 156):
" ..... She was now living with Michael o'Connel, a talented musician and recording engineer. They wanted to open up a recording studio and needed capital. Without disclosing the source, I provided some money, and a Pimlico recording Studio called Archipelago was formed. In a short period, artists such as Elvis Costello were using the facilities, and Island records were subletting them.

More on Howard Marks can be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Marks
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

mood swung wrote:My son came to tell me when the half time show came on, and I decided to pass.

But BIG UPS Eli!!!

(Giants Stadium solidarity)
Well you missed a great Petty mini-set, but no EC cover, I got taken in by a bit of humour on the eclistserv.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:lol: :lol: I wasted some time on youtube looking for it - it did look like a great set, but they can't be that old, can they????
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Town Called Big Nothing... haha
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

To my credit, I thought 'he can't be doing something that left field for the SB!'

To my discredit, I figured it was something they didn't show on tv. Warmups or something. :lol:
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Last night during MSNBC's primary coverage, Keith Olbermann was giving return results and said something like "so far the precincts reporting are 'Less Than Zero' to quote Elvis Costello".
Had a feeling he was probably a fan.