North Debuts on the Bilboard 200 at...

Pretty self-explanatory
DrJ

North Debuts on the Bilboard 200 at...

Post by DrJ »

... drum roll...

57! With 21,000 copies sold...

I don't think that's bad for, pardon the phrase, an EC genre record on a classical label.

Of note

At 1: Outkast with 526,000 copies sold.
At 2: Dave Matthews with 429,000 copies sold.
At 3 Limp Biskit with 325,000 copies sold.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... id=1990007

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Pov

Post by Pov »

That's better than I expected. Thanks for the info!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It's a sorry world when EC is outsold by Limp fuckin Biscuit. :(
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

it's been a sorry world for a REAL LONG TIME then....

if you keep exchanging Limp Fuckin' Bizkit for whatever top pop stuff is out there at the time.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Better than nothing...and way higher than I expected...good to see the man has a pulling power still!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Yes but it's a marathon, not a race. It's about hit catalogue, not hit singles. The fact that you have to exchange Limp Bizkit for what ever other pop act is significant. EC has hung around, the other big sellers haven't.

EC has, generally speaking, been releasing albums that tickle the BB200 at about 50 then disappear, for 25 years. That's excellent. Maybe if all his sales had been in one year, say 1980, then Get Happy!! would have entered at 1 selling 500,000 copies, and then he might never have had been heard from again. I would never put a freak, huge hit beyond him, but I'm not going to worry coz North aint going all stellarnorahjones. WIWC sold 200,000 last year, more than Whitney Houston's new album last year.

The percentage of people who'll buy North, live with it, enjoy it and so on will be significantly higher then the percentage of people who get anything of substance from the Bizkit. Indeed their first week sales compared to their last album, has dropped almost 70%. That will probably be an evolving trend.

In other words, I should have been a manager.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Misha

Post by Misha »

The interesting thing is that in a couple of years, the Limp Biskit fans will find North and buy it and like it, then find more EC stuff, unlike us, who will see Limp B discs, and use them as coasters.....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
martinfoyle

Re: North Debuts on the Bilboard 200 at...

Post by martinfoyle »

At 1: Outkast with 526,000 copies sold.
Excellent album, a double disc. The first one a consise affair, really excellent urban rap, by way of hip-hop, by way of poppy jazzy stuff. Great mix. The second disc is longer affair with Andre indulging himself with all kinds of slower oddball stuff. Great to see these guys using their success to educate their audience in this manner.