What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent)'s set at Other Music, my favorite New York record shop. Hawley will be doing a live set there as well, on Monday, but I won't be able to make it. The Bowery set tomorrow night will have to suffice.

Looks like Hawley will be part of this video series as well.

http://digital.othermusic.com/wp/?p=406
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now this - sent to me by a friend. In places, very reminiscent of Eno's Music for Airports. I'm really digging this...

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Arcade Fire bootleg from two weeks ago when I saw them in London. actually, it's the following night's gig as the sound is a bit better (though apparently they had sound problems on the night, probably when your friend went, SLL). They do fun improvised covers, e.g. I'm So Bored With The USA when I saw them, and a snippet of Common People from just now on what I'm listening to.

I've discovered iTunes equaliser. I just didn't know it was there. Very helpful for improving the playback on e.g. very bass heavy bootlegs like this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Rufus Wainwright, Want Two. I...can't...stop...listening...to...it.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Any good?

I've been playing my son's Amy Winehouse Back To Black (I have the first LP!). I know most of the songs, but it's great to really listen to it, e.g. on headphones appreciating the production and the vocal qualities. It's a fantastic record. She wrote most of the songs solo and a few with others, but was involved in all. So many of the tunes get hooked into your head. And who else could write a brilliant song called Me and Mr Jones (ref to the, er, Billie Paul? song from the 70s), with her own brilliant coinage employed thrice in the song thus:

What kind of fuckery is this?
What kind of fuckery are we?
What kind of fuckery are you?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

a Yep Roc sampler. Where else could you find Southern Culture on the Skids, Robbie Fulks, Nick Lowe, AND the Reverend Horton Heat?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

WDVX, 89.9, Knoxville.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You had me at WDVX.

The Dolly cover of Stairway to Heaven.
Otis Westinghouse

Checking out a download of Arcade Fire at BBC Maida Vale this summer. I was pissed off cos when they had it on the red button earlier this year, I missed out - just didn't find time, but it's nice to hear the audio version. Dime also has a download of the TV programme too - tempting as they're always so fun to watch.

Good interviews. Regine's accent speaking is gorgeous. Win studied Theology at college. Figures.

Earlier, listening to a very, very good Talking Heads bootleg from '79. All the classic songs from my fave Heads LP Fear of Music sounding sparkly live. Lots of similarities between AF and TH as a thrilling live band.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Tim Armstrong, Various & Sundry.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Single from the new Bob Mould album, District Line, out Feb. 5...

http://www.aolcdn.com/_media/ch_music/b ... een_us.mp3
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Tramp - Otis & Carla

The box set The Stax Story arrived in my mailbox today. Only halfway thru disc #1 and I'm looking forward to listening to all four. Great stuff. Good quality sound, too.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Solid Bronze - The Beautiful South
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

I seem to not be following what's in the charts at all these days, but have been vaguely aware of the name Rihanna, and the other day heard Jo Whiley play the fabulous song Umbrella. I love an addictive hit, Crazy and Hey Ya being great examples from last few years. This one is in their company. Good voice - she's gonna be big. As well as this video, with annoying CoverGirl promo crap, Youtube also has a sweet live rendition from Belgrade where the crowd are singing along in immense unison. Must have been fun! Had to edit my FARTY top 5 songs of the year to include this!

'ella, 'ella, 'ella, etc.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Good voice - she's gonna be big.
Already is.

I mean, of course, I think so - she's had 3 or 4 big songs this year here, I think. I let the kids have the radio at times, and she seems to be on every station. I like the 'hey hey hey's on Umbrella - reminds me of a Stephen King book or movie where the character is talking really normal and then they - or their voice, anyway - becomes Something Else.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I seem to not be following what's in the charts at all these days, but have been vaguely aware of the name Rihanna, and the other day heard Jo Whiley play the fabulous song Umbrella. I love an addictive hit, Crazy and Hey Ya being great examples from last few years. This one is in their company. Good voice - she's gonna be big. As well as this video, with annoying CoverGirl promo crap, Youtube also has a sweet live rendition from Belgrade where the crowd are singing along in immense unison. Must have been fun! Had to edit my FARTY top 5 songs of the year to include this!

'ella, 'ella, 'ella, etc.
Have you totally lost your fucking marbles?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gettin' a bit Christmas-y now, finally. Lovely pickin' - one of my favorite albums of Christmas music...

Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:Have you totally lost your fucking marbles?
No, why do you ask? Averse to a bit of class chart pop, are we?

Funnily enough:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/stor ... 74,00.html

And by way of a contrast, right now Glenn Gould playing Bach's English Suites 4-6. I love his meticulous, detailed playing, perfect for Bach, but can't stomach that nauseating humming. This is from the mid-70s, so I was worried the humming might be very audible, but I think the engineer tried to get rid of it as far as possible.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Carbon/Silicon - The Last Post
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

a mix of FARTY top five songs, the ones I can find anyway.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

A few excellent tracks from 'A Poet's Life', thanks to raves by Moody.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:D

(listen close, you can hear the sound of my ego expanding)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Listened to three new albums that arrived in the mail this morning on my way down to our company Christmas party: Nicole Atkins' Neptune City, Jens Lekman's Night Falls Over Kortedala and The Avett Brothers' Emotionalism.

I suspect that if I had a do over on my top five FARTYs albums the Avett Brothers disc would be in there somewhere - lovely songwriting, arrangements, singing. Really something special and an album anybody with a taste for music in an alt country vein should check out - but even if you're not into that sort of stuff. Really superb and it grabbed me immediately.

Nicole Atkins has a beautiful, soaring voice, and though the production in places is a little too lush for my taste, the title track and several other tunes are really excellent. "Neptune City" would make my top ten songs of the year list. Definitely someone worth checking out.

The Lekman album reminds me in places of Magnetic Fields - he has the same sort of baritonal croak and dark humor. Haven't listened to all of this one yet. I also hear some echoes of early Scott Walker in some of the grander arrangements. Lots of fun. "A Postcard to Nina," about a character who poses as a straight boyfriend to deceive his lesbian friend's parents, is a hoot.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain