new to brutal youth (could be the most disturbing album)

Pretty self-explanatory
Mansize_Rooster_87

new to brutal youth (could be the most disturbing album)

Post by Mansize_Rooster_87 »

well,thats what i am finding :lol:

i think its brilliant to by the way. i put it of for other EC albums for a while because i have read that its flatt,nothing new etc etc.

but i love this album, the hooks come fast and elvis is all over the dark themes. kinder murder,tripped at every step,13 steps lead down :shock:

is 13 steps lead down about kinky sex????
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Always pleases me when someone "discovers" an album. More so, if they like it, as you seem to do. It is a pretty strong album. Oddy enough though I prefer the demo version of Favourite Hour. It has something that the album version lacks...The live version from MFBB rectifies this slightly but the Church studios demo remains the definitive recording for me.

Apparently 13 steps is a reference to El Escorial in Spain. Can't remember the story now. It's in some liner note or other. London's B. parade is my personal Fav, although I like most of the tracks.

It was publicised as a "return to form". together with the attractions once again after a long break. A response to the demands for a repeat of "This Year's Model". In effect it was less "angry young man" and more "wiser and angrier middle aged man."

Besides as the man says. No Point making the same album twice. (as many artists do)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

'You Tripped at Every Step' is probably my favorite EC song.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So glad you love this album - it's always been jiggling in my top five of his albums!

So melodic - This is Hell, London' Brill, You Tripped, Kinder Murder - practically all the songs on the album have killer choruses, great verses, iron-clad middle eights. Great singing and playing throughout. Even the sort-of-annoying Science Fiction Twin has its merits - harpsichord kraziness, and a laugh-out-loud hilarious lyric.

"Filled up his purse dictating verse whilst painting masterpieces...
..The words flew from his mouth and they were gently gathered by reporters..
. they asked how in the world he does all these things - and he answered 'superbly'."

Great double-meaning gag in that last joke, too.

Anyone else wanna pitch in?
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

'You Tripped at Every Step' is probably my favorite EC song.
I woke up to that song this morning, it was a suprisingly cheery welcome in to the day.

As I said many times before this is one of my favorite albums. I didn't like 'My science fiction twin' at first but it eventually grew on me.

I thought '13 steps down' was about being addicted to something but never thought of the kinky sex connection.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

13 Steps, Rockinghorse Road, Just About Glad, All The Rage - great stuff.

The reissue is great too so if you haven't got that, get it!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I love 'All The Rage' - such a belter, with a joyous melody, but directed at the critics he hates (though could also be directed bitterly to a lover, of course)

Great line addressed to those who attempt to psychoanalyse him "Don't try to read my mind, because it's full of disappearing ink."

Anyone know what the 'measing pole, the merry boots of clay' and the 'sins of garter and gin' are,' though?