Halloween

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Halloween

Post by miss buenos aires »

What are people doing? What are you dressing up as? We threw a rollicking party last night... once I get over my hangover and clean the house, I'll try to throw up some pictures...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm going as a middle-aged dad. Hope I can carry it off.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Great costume! I went to a party last night dressed as the guy from the Operation board game. My girlfriend was Bunnicula (the vampire bunny) from children's literature. We'll do it all again Wednesday as we pass out treats to the local kids.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Pictures, pophead??? :)

Miss BA, divine as usual.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Very cool, Miss BA!

Just finished carving pumpkins with the kids. What a godawful mess. Good thing I put down lots and lots of newspaper. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not that good at carving pumpkins. Good mucker and scraper, not so hot with the face and the details.
miss buenos aires

pophead2k wrote:Great costume! I went to a party last night dressed as the guy from the Operation board game. My girlfriend was Bunnicula (the vampire bunny) from children's literature. We'll do it all again Wednesday as we pass out treats to the local kids.
Yes, I want pictures too!
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I just got back from a pumpkin carving contest/party. Blue and I carved a pumpkin together, which basically meant he dealt with the messy innards and I spent an hour or two carving out Dwight Schrute. I'll post photos later - I was quite proud of how it turned out.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Miss BA:

My 15 year old is all a tither after I shared your custome. She can't stop searching for like components and pieces, and is looking at other dalie and picasso art to try to create something that is not a direct kowck off. Thanks for inspiring my brilliant 15 year old. And of course, now she want to meet you.

That puts you in the same class as:

Andy Partridge
Kiefer Sutherland (already met him once)
Miles Davis (long dead)
David Hyde Pierce
Uma Thurman
Quentin Tarantino
The Pope
Hillary (she wants to spit on her shoes)
Paul Potts
So Lacklustre (she is taking biology and they are studying the alimentary canal and for a school project she needs an image of a polyp-ridden signoid colon taken through a rectal portal. When I showed her his picture on the site, she got an A+)

Seriously, thanks for giving my daughter the inspiration to think way outside the box.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Happy Halloween, everyone!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, out of three teenage boys, two are still willing to dress up and parade around our neighborhood for candy. One is just too cool and has agreed to stay home. But I'm making him hand out candy.

Gees, I *still* like to dress up and go out. And I'm wayyyyyyyy past my teens. :lol:
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I'm excited to actually be able to hand out candy this year. This is my first year in a long time I've lived in a place where there will be kids going door to door (ie, not a university residence or apartment building!). No dressing up for us though - we're too lazy!

Have a great Halloween, everyone - and don't eat too much candy!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

We used to have scores of kids visiting our house on Halloween. Last year we had ONE trick or treater all night. Maybe it was just a weeknight thing.

I remember roaming our entire town when I was a kid, trying to amass as much candy as possible in my pillowcase. Then we would take it back to my friend Brett's house and dump it all out on the table to trade. Nobody wanted the Mounds.

Now parents drive their kids around and drop them off at the curb. I don't know if parents are being overprotective or if there are more sickos out there, but it's sad.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Once again you amaze, Miss BA.
miss buenos aires

Thank you to all! None of my 3D-world friends have been quite as supportive.

I've dressed up just about every year for so many years...
2006- stained glass
2005- lost mermaid (this kind of sucked)
2004- Marge Bouvier
2003- Theda Bara (no one got this one)
2002- ghost
2001- no costume (but I remember what I was wearing)
2000- space alien
1999- Nico
1998- Marilyn Monroe
1997- it's a little complicated to explain, but it involved a camo minidress
1996- Ernie (tip: hold out for real face paint--DO NOT just put lipstick on your face)
1995- dead prom queen

That's all I can remember, except for my favorite one in 1990 (I was 11): Teenage Mutant Ninja Gerbil.

Parents drop their kids off at the corner? My parents always came with me trick-or-treating, or made my sister come, and they weren't particularly overprotective. I think I may have grown up in a neighborhood that was rougher than I realized.

What have other people dressed up as? I want lists!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I went to a great party 5 yeard ago run by Tom from Wisconsin who lives round the corner and was dressed as a gothic warlord. Well that's how I saw it. That was one of the drunkest nights of my whole life. Tom is a cocktail fanatic and I drank c. 8, on top of beer and wine. I was a gonna. Fell asleep on the rim of the toilet, had only a couple of hours and had to go to London next day to celebrate my mum's 70th. My only Halloween party.

Tonight I donned a hooded mask with a kind of portcullis effect on the mask. One of the kids asked me if I was in prison. That was how it felt after a while. I brought Rudy, our semi-controlled chocolate Labrador, renamed the Hound of Death for the evening, and he gave me a good sinister edge.

I love it more with each year, and know I will miss it when my 7 year old, the baby of three, is too old. Nearly 15 year old, like Spooky's, decided he was too cool and stayed in to do his art homework. In many towns, even here in Cambridge, people hate it as it means packs of ne'er do wells roaming the streets throwing eggs at people's houses, etc., but in our 'hood it's just a happy and safe family thing with plenty of welcoming pumpkins on display, and some impressively over the top displays from people who've put a lot of effort in. It's nothing like as extreme as I gather is the norm in the US, but it's still good.

A lot of people here pour scorn and hate it, and often dismiss it as a US import, ignoring the fact that a lot of what is done is Celtic in origin and goes back to ancient traditions from these islands. Anything that involves people with their kids wandering the neighbourhood being nice to each other gets my thumbs up, and it always makes me think it's one in the eye for Margaret Thatcher and her notorious quote "There's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families."
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It was a quiet enough evening in the store. Plenty of bangers and fireworks going off in the distance, none of them chucked in through the door, thank god. Marauding kids did drop by and I literally though sweets at them, got rid of a few of the slower selling lines. 2 masked kids came in and put the heart across me since I thought it was going to be a hold-up but they just wanted cigarettes. I was so relieved I forgot to id them.
Another 2 came in with half their faces painted black, wearing white suits and supping some of that fine beverage Dutch Gold. It took me a while to realise one of them was a member of staff, thankfully he was sober enough to clarify when he was next working. A bunch of 14 year old girls came in dressed as the Pussycat Dolls

and they were partaking of that fine beverage Red Thunder.
The evening finished off with a French-Romanian Jehovahs Witness giving out about how satanic it all was, taking the trouble to show me illustrations from Watchtower.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It was a lot of fun tonight because our daughter and her best friend Hannah went our trick or treating with her mom, brought a load of candy back and dumped it out on the table, old skool style. My wife took our son Kieran around the neighborhood, dressed as a pirate, with a little pencil moustache she drew in. Afterward, we all sat around the kitchen chatting as the kids ate candy until they could no longer. We had at least a half-dozen groups come around to the house, so it was much better than last year. It's one of my favorite holidays, but I think it should always fall on a Friday. It's going to be hell getting the kids up in the morning.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

HEre's the pumpkin that greeted our trick or treaters:

My favourite part was two separate people (one was a parent, one was 14 or so) asked if the carving was of Blue :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Dwight Schrute? Nice one.