"Everybody's Boy" by Elvis Costello

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

"Everybody's Boy" by Elvis Costello

Post by johnfoyle »

I presume this is reference to KOA's Jack Of All Parades ; still a unusual cover choice .

http://youth-corner.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... eview.html

Sept. 07

Shawn Ryan: Concert Review

By Jeff Walsh

Shawn Ryan is a talented singer. You may have caught him last summer on America's Got Talent. You can hear him sing standards such as "Moon River" and "Blue Skies" on his website. But live in concert, as Shawn recently performed for a capacity crowd at the Herbst Theatre, he's something else entirely. In fact, he's many things.

Ryan wears his influences on his sleeve, and is quick to note that a shuffle across stage is his Bette Midler walk. A gesture is his Norma Desmond homage. A certain look is Barbra Streisand. Toss in a few more references to Ann Margaret, Judy Garland, and a few others, and after a night of cover songs, my biggest takeaway was: But who's Shawn?

I will be up front that I do not see a lot of cabaret performances. But I understand the parameters are typically that you sing cover tunes, and the key is finding the perfectly wonderful obscure song that you can take and make your own. The thing isn't that I didn't get Shawn's show, but having seen Bette and Liza in concert before (on separate occasions, of course), I felt like I'd seen this act before. Ryan was able to land Bruce Vilanch to help him out with the banter between songs, and Vilanch has famously written Midler's stuff for decades. And when Ryan's male dancers came out, shirtless, for a little dance number, I was immediately flashing back to seeing Liza do Minnelli on Minnelli at the Palace Theatre in Times Square, where the guys danced around her and she would eventually do a "Oh, is this how this step goes, boys?" and dance with them for a few bars.

But, there was something discombobulating about seeing that show centered around a young guy, even if he's doing a very gay show. Part of why it works for Liza is that she's a diva and when she steps in for a few bars, the crowd is hoping her hip will hold out. When you combine that with some Vilanchian humor like "Anne Reinking is just a Kirstie Alley away from Being Harvey Fierstein," it didn't quite mesh for me. Vilanch, during his stand-up bit in the middle of the second act, said he decided to write for Ryan because "no one's doing shows like this anymore." My takeaway was ... maybe there's a reason, at least why no one young is doing them.

Beyond that aspect, Ryan was full of energy frOm the moment he came onstage to sing "If My Friends Could See Me Now," although given the strong presence of the cabaret scene in San Francisco, it's likely a lot of his best friends were seeing him that night.

The set list also included (as best as I can cobble together): "Getting to Know You," from the King & I; "A Wink and A Smile" by Harry Connick Jr.; "Everybody Loves A Lover," by Doris Day; a dream medley featuring "Neverland" from Peter Pan, "Dream A Little Dream" by Louis Armstrong, "Dream Lover" by Bobby Darin, "I Have A Dream" by ABBA, and "What You'd Call A Dream" by Jaymie Meyer; "Down With Love;" "Wouldn't It Be Lovely?" from My Fair Lady, with a vampy beat; "Everybody's Boy" by Elvis Costello; "Beat My Dog" by Jay Leonhart; "Anyway The Wind Blows" by Doris Day; "Do You Wanna Dance?" by Bette Midler; "More" by Madonna; and "Checking Out of this Heartbreak Hotel" by Shel Silverstein.

Once you wrapped your head around the spirit of the show, it was clearly a labor of love. Multiple dancers, back-up singers, a grand piano, a small orchestra, banter and audience interaction throughout the whole night... it was very well-packaged.

And while I'm clearly clued in now to the performers that have influenced Ryan, it seems the next step is for him to take all of that influence in and make it his own.
migdd

Post by migdd »

"Everybody's Boy" is most likely Jack of All Parades.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yup.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And a great track at that.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

verbal gymnastics wrote:And a great track at that.
Probably the best on KOA, and that's saying something, considering all the songs on KOA are excellent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Another fan!! KOA is pretty awesome.

But I won't go on about that. . . . . :roll:
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I love King of America. Probably not as much as Spooky and other hard core fanatics, but it was definitely one of the albums that made me an Elvis fan. I used to listen to it on headphones every day as I was driving to my long distance job back in 90 and 91.

I only bring this up because I find myself in the sad minority as a person who finds Jack of All Parades to be one of my least favorite songs on the album. What the hell is my problem? Why can't I get into this song? I'd rank it only above 'Lovable' and 'Eisenhower Blues', but it is still one of my least favorite songs on the album. Why am I not getting it?
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's not one of my favorites on the album, either.

But obviously, I did not read the first line of Mr. Foyle's post! Duh, huh!!! :oops: :lol: :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Hey, pophead, I didn't say it was my favorite song. In fact, don't let this info out, but I don't absolutely LOVE every single song on the album. But it's like reading a novel and skipping a couple of chapters if you don't play them all. You might just miss a good rythem or a complete feel to the album's content.

And just the same - you don't love every little thing about someone - even someone you love. The same is true for me and KOA. I love it as a whole, but there are songs I could still breathe without. There are certainly songs I favor on there more than others. That list is always subject to change though.

Jack of All Parades is a lovely song and I always enjoy a listen, but it's by no means my favorite song on KOA - or even close. Does that make you feel better pophead?

Still, this album speaks to my soul in a mighty way. I just can't express how much.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

It is a lovely song off of an even lovlier album. Favourites are always subject to change, but this isn't one of them for me. I will always love KOA for being my first somewhat country-fied album. It was really my introduction into something other than the punky new wave stuff, and every time I listen to it, I am amazed by its near perfection.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks guys, now I don't feel like such a tool. I've always felt a vague guilt over not loving this song, because most EC fans do. I think its because the songs surrounding it (Suit of Lights, Sleep of the Just, etc.) are amongst my all time favorite EC songs.

Peace, love, and KOA.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Didn't mean to spark such a debate :oops:

Yeah, KOA is my favorite EC album, and like Spooky said, it's like a novel. Not every chapter is brilliant, but as a whole, it's amazing. 'Jack Of All Parades' holds a lot of truth and memories for me, so it's my favorite on the album, but I didn't expect everyone to like it...!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Quality tunes on the KOA album.. Jack is a good one, but Little Palaces, Big Light, and Poisoned Rose RULE. rock on...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm embarrassed to say that I have quoted lines from Jack Of All Parades whilst in (non-Elvis) conversations.

It was a long time ago AND I was young :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?