What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:You're talking my language! Two of my all time faves in a row. Love Story is a total classic, no?
Yep, Love Story is amazing. It just blows away 99.9 % things played on the radio.
Timeless, beautiful songs.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm Not Bitter - Minus 5. Great song from the great Down With Wilco album.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Isnt it against the law to wear cheques and pinstripes together?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Timbaland--Shock Value

R Kelly and Usher--Same Girl
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

The new Ben Lee CD. I like it a lot so far. It is obviously his "I am dating a lot right now" record.
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

On shuffle:

I'd never thought that much of Midnight Oil previously, but after getting "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1" I keep asking myself why I havn't bothered to check them out sooner. Now I own three albums of theirs that I listen to very frequently. The delivery and the arrangements of these songs appeal to me very very much. Always a great production behind the albums it seems. Nice lyrics too!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The new album by Coltrane's longtime pianist McCoy Tyner. All-star lineup - Christian McBride, Joe Lovano, Jeff Tain Watts - which sometimes doesn't work out but in this instance they really hit the nail on the head. Recorded live at Yoshi's in Oakland rather than in the studio, which may have something to do with it. Best thing McCoy has done in about 10 years.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

because I wanted to hear Storm Windows and this was the only available version. I'm not sure why this record got made, except as occupational therapy. But, it's JP. So it can't be bad, now can it?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Nick Lowe concert from 1 week ago. You can download the whole thing here:

http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/np ... odcast.mp3
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Image

The new album by Coltrane's longtime pianist McCoy Tyner. All-star lineup - Christian McBride, Joe Lovano, Jeff Tain Watts - which sometimes doesn't work out but in this instance they really hit the nail on the head. Recorded live at Yoshi's in Oakland rather than in the studio, which may have something to do with it. Best thing McCoy has done in about 10 years.
Didn't even know about that. Thanks for the tip, will keep an eye out for it.

Enjoying loads of stuff here. The Young Republic have got round to releasing a UK album called '12 Tales From Winter City' which is perfect indie-pop album. Belle and Seb with balls.
The Rumble Strips album is ace, as is Bat For Lashes which I finally picked up after watching the Mercury awards. New Go Team! is ace if you thought the first Go Team! was ace.
Ninja Tune have released a wonderful surf-rock/funk album from The Dragons called 'BFI', that's apparently been sitting in the vaults for 35 years or so.
The new Edwyn is everything I hoped it would be and more.
The Shack best of, 'Time Machine', deserves a nod for celebrating a criminally uncelebrated band.
The new M.I.A. is mental maelstrom of quite brilliant proportions and I can't agree with a huge number of internet musos (not here, as far as I can see) who've been slating the new Rilo Kiley for being too 'poppy' - it's a fantastic feel-good record.
Picked up the 2x180g repress of Joy Divison's 'Still' the other week for only £12 delivered from HMV, which was a bargain. Splendid attention to detail.
I should just recommend a recent single while it's still in print. Andy Lewis and Paul Weller's 'Are You Trying To Be Lonely?' which is a blistering northern soul number that couldn't be a more perfect vehicle for Weller if it tried.
Just playing the new Stephen Fretwell, which is charming. If you liked Sunhouse or Clayhill, go for it.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Nick Lowe concert from 1 week ago. You can download the whole thing here:

http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/np ... odcast.mp3

Thanks, for the tip. This is a nice distraction from work.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Blimey, Bad Ambass! Where do you get the time, not to mention the readies? That's some list. Even WSS would struggle to compete.

Glad you too like Edwyn. Some great stuff on there.

Anyone checked out Elvis Perkins? There's a good song on the current Word sampler. Don't know much about him , but can see why they're enthusing.

Am also awaiting Joni reports from people here.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Anyone checked out Elvis Perkins? There's a good song on the current Word sampler. Don't know much about him , but can see why they're enthusing.
Yes, I think I've sung the praises of Elvis Perkins elsewhere, but his album is one of the better things I've heard this year. I saw him open for Pernice Brothers last winter and wasn't that taken with him, but it may have just been an off night. The album is very very good. His dad is Tony Perkins of Psycho fame, who died of AIDS, and his mom perished in the Sept. 11 tragedy - she was a passenger on one of the planes that slammed into the WTC. A lot of that pain comes out in the album, but not as you might expect.
Otis Westinghouse

Had read about the parentage and forgotten - thanks for that detail. Incredible, really.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Once Upon A Time In The West - Hard-Fi

They sound just like The Clash in 1979.

I saw them play their latest single Surburban Knights on TV the other evening and watching Richard Archer play his guitar was just like watching Joe Strummer 8)

This is a brilliant album.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I'm having one today. What's on the album, BWAP ?
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Blimey, Bad Ambass! Where do you get the time, not to mention the readies? That's some list. Even WSS would struggle to compete.
Try to spend as little as possible on anything other than music. Agreed on the time thing, never enough of it.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Roots and Echoes the new album by The Coral. On first couple of plays, I think this will be a favourite.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Mingus live at Ronnie Scott's 1972. Apparently this was a recording intended for release, but it never came. Got it off Dime. Talking of a lack of time, the 7 tracks add up to 2.5 hours! recorded over two nights. Great stuff. Six minutes into a 35 min Fables of Faubus! I decided I needed some Mingus on CD yesterday when I saw the classic Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus in my local library. they also had a nice double CD of Ashkenazy playing Chopin's Nocturnes, so I've been playing them, and even trying to have a go at a couple on the old Joanna myself from my 'Easy to Play Chopin' book of simplified transcriptions. Needless to say these are generallly completely beyond me, but it's fun.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I'm enjoying this one a lot :

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

this is part of the depressive phase of my autumnal listening schizophrenia. expect something ridiculously happy and upbeat next.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just checking to see if anyone's awake! :D

That hair, that gaze! Wow!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

looks like she took a chance with a faulty electrical outlet.

sam, I know thursday's game was AYSO-esque and you had to ask yourself if Bruce was actually trying to lose, but please. step away from the muzak.