Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

The point I am making is that the players were better in 1996. Where is the Gazza in the current squad? No one comes close in my opinion. Rooney has been flattering to deceive for 5 years now. Give me Shearer and Sheringham over Rooney and Crouch any day. Pearce and Adams really cared about England matches.....do Cashley and Rio? Don't think so. The only one of the current lot who would get in would be Gerrard in my view.....and he often looks half-asleep in an England shirt.

There was once hope. I have ceased to believe that England wil ever win anything significant again.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Surely a few players would get in that squad ahead of Darren Anderton and McMananananananmananaman.

Terry is also a better player than Southgate ever was.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Surely a few players would get in that squad ahead of Darren Anderton and McMananananananmananaman.

Terry is also a better player than Southgate ever was.
Anderton's career was blighted by injury - he was the kieran Dyer of his day. However, he was unfairly maligned as a player and when fit was an extremely accurate passer of the ball, rarely giving it away. He also scored a good few goals. I'd take him over Downing any day of the week. I accept that a fit Joe Cole would be better.

Terry is undoubtedly a better player than Southgate, who along with McManaman was a weak link in the 96 side. Centre halfs are about the only area we have improved on in the past 10 years....whcih says it all imho. :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I don't know. It's a bit puzzling because there's a lot of quality there but the product on the pitch does not measure up. A lot of it has to do with the coaching and management IMO. Is there anyone less inspiring than Steve McClaren? Wait, yes there is - Sven!

They need to get a manager in there who will light a fire under their asses and kick a few chairs.

I don't mean this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXCgeSsSM48

:D :D
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a classic. Seen it before I think....but still very funny.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Second clip even better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WxrWT7 ... ed&search=

Someone out there thinks Sitton is England manager material...

http://www.petitiononline.com/johnsit1/petition.html
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:
...he will, with due respect to the MLS, will be playing a much lower standard of football.
OK, VG, you've got ONE too many words in there!
mood swung wrote:I am just giving VG some stick over the word "much." I don't think that has to be emphasized! at least in polite conversation. :lol:
For a moment I thought you were giving me stick because I used the word "due" instead of "no" :lol:

I will of course be watching the game with my David Beckham shirt on, drinking my Becks beer. I will also be wearing my Davidoff aftershave :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Rumour mill today:

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will fend off interest from Tottenham by offering Alan Smith a new contract (Sunday Mirror).

Thank f*%k for that! Surely the luckiest and most over-rated prem player of all time.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Too extreme a verdict. I think he could have settled in and found his place with the Heroes TM were it not for that awful injury. I like this rumour:

"Manchester United are set to beat Arsenal, Liverpool, Bolton, Valencia and Real Madrid to the signing of Barcelona's Argentine striker Javier Saviola, for a cut-price £7m (News of the World)."

I'm up for a bit of that.

Where's Gilli drooling over Becks? She was vindicated. He is looking mature and focussed. He alone could be the difference between a very average and a potentially winning England side. Great goal there, and I think there were some heartening aspects to the game as a whole - we nearly beat Brazil! Sounds good to me. Although Kaka was non-existent (is that the same twat who was so amazing for Milan?) Surely we can see off Estonia? I think Becks should change his mind re LA and move to Spurs - that would really make Gilli's day!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Glad to see I was right over the Beckham issue - he really is a quality player and the fact he is a hottie is just an added bonus!! :wink:

Really pissed off with the fact that we let Brazil equalize with seconds to go -I predicted that before the match and was right about that too! :evil: But on the whole not a bad performance - I thought we contained them pretty well. Blinder by Gerrard although Lampard wasn't up to much. McClaren really needs to sort that one out they cant play together!

Nice to see Scotland and N. ireland doing so well too. :D

Looking forward to the match on Wednesday with cautious optimism!!:D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Gillibeanz wrote:Blinder by Gerrard although Lampard wasn't up to much. McClaren really needs to sort that one out they cant play together!
It's not as if this is a new problem Maclaren has inherited.

I thought Lampard played well. Were we watching the same game?

I read Terry Venable's column in the News of the World yesterday and reading between the lines I don't think he wants Beckham as being part of the England set up.

The results in Group E on Saturday didn't exactly help us did they?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I thought Lampard played well. Were we watching the same game?
McClaren and Dunga, the Brazilian manager, also thought he had a fine game. You have to consider the players he and Gerrard were up against, who were kept fairly quiet.

Lampard's been made the whipping boy for all of England's woes and was booed when his name was announced at the beginning of the match. He should tell England to take a flying leap.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

So Gilli, my flame haired beauty, it would appear that Dunga and Maclaren are on my side. I think the mist of watching David Beckham has affected your judgement :lol:

I think we contained a Brazilian side which wasn't exactly trying its hardest.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

verbal gymnastics wrote:So Gilli, my flame haired beauty, it would appear that Dunga and Maclaren are on my side. I think the mist of watching David Beckham has affected your judgement :lol:
Well Verbal me old mucker I don't get a daily newspaper so im not influenced by other peoples opinions - not that I ever was as most of the board may have noticed!! :lol:

However on visiting the BBC's sports section as I sometimes do i see that they also agree with my view - quote:-

"While Gerrard rivalled David Beckham for England's best player, Lampard was again short of his top form. Despite given ample opportunities to form a central midfield understanding under previous coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, the two stars have rarely looked like the right combination".

*Pokes out tongue* :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson Monk wrote:Rumour mill today:

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will fend off interest from Tottenham by offering Alan Smith a new contract (Sunday Mirror).

Thank f*%k for that! Surely the luckiest and most over-rated prem player of all time.
Bloody hell - we dont want him!!! Fend fend for all you are worth Fergie!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I started booing Fat Frank when 'e wos an 'ammer, so it ain't a Chelsea fing for me, just never liked the *unt. Bckham was average at best, the only thing that he is worth having for is his dead balls (so to speak). Smith looked fairly good when he played for dirty leeds but never took enough of his chances, definitely overrated but the most overrated prem player ever.

Nostradmus says England will fuck up against Estonia
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Bckham was average at best, the only thing that he is worth having for is his dead balls (so to speak).
That's the thing though - a dead ball situation is virtually the only way that England can score, cause they rarely get goals from open play.

Very handy performance by the USA, beating China 4-1. With Twellman and Eddie Johnson in excellent scoring form, I'd love to see Bradley drop Landycakes. Has there ever been a less inspiring captain? Give the armband to someone like Dempsey who will die for the cause.

Oh, and Juan Pablo Angel bags another one for the Red Bulls. Shame that idiot Clint Mathis had to get sent off - again.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Shame that idiot Clint Mathis had to get sent off - again.
at least he's still kinda cute.

eight games, four goals, 2 ejections. there's a binary principle at work here!

(I think).

I'm in love with Benny Feilhaber.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:I'm in love with Benny Feilhaber.
Played quite well I thought, though the Chinese really were awful.

Will be interesting to see how we do in the Gold Cup and Copa America.

Just for you moody, here's one of Clint looking a little horny...

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

***shuddershuddershuddershudderyshudder***

just to shoo away any lingering bad karma. any excuse to look at my favorite photo of him - the soccer tan, the bruise, the elbow he loves to throw and that sweet sweet smile.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Most comments I've read agreed that Gerrard was strong throughout but Lampard was ineffective. Silva seems to think they can play well together. Not many others do.

Of course Beckham is king of the dead ball and we have to face up to the fact that yes that is often our best chance of scoring, but I would also defend quite a lot of what he did in open play on Friday. His passing was as pinpoint accurate as ever and he had a measured composure to his game that seems to reflect his broadened experience in Madrid, though which was clealrty lacking in Germany. He's still one of the best weapos we have for any opposing team. Bringing him back was a good move by McClaren. There's hope yet.

We can and will do it on wed. Stuff Nostrad!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Gillibeanz wrote:However on visiting the BBC's sports section as I sometimes do i see that they also agree with my view - quote:-

"While Gerrard rivalled David Beckham for England's best player, Lampard was again short of his top form.
Who was this written by - Beckham's PR?

*pokes out tongue back* :lol: :lol:

And one thing everyone will agree on is that Gerrard and Lampard don't work as a midfield combination.
so lacklustre wrote:Nostradmus says England will fuck up against Estonia
I bet it's not a comfortable victory if we win. The way we have played of late doesn't fill me full of optimism. Estonia's result last Saturday was not bad. It wouldn't surprise me if we play out a dull 0-0 draw as Estonia put 10 men behind the ball.

If so Venables could be manager by the end of the week.

Pub talk on Friday night was who would you have as England manager?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

JPA and company to kick ass and take names in Toronto tonight. Here's hoping they don't give out seat cushions again. Or maybe they should.

Blue and Red: are you cushion tossers? :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Juan Pablo Angel, there's only one Juan Pablo Angel!!

Another two goals for JPA tonight, including a beautiful free kick. Nice!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

he's found his level :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima