Elvic C & Friends (Jerry, Nick, Bob, et al) Sweetwater 4

Post offers for legally distributable EC music, memorabilia, tickets, etc.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Elvic C & Friends (Jerry, Nick, Bob, et al) Sweetwater 4

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

A new torrent has been uploaded to DIME.

Torrent: 39702
Title: Elvic C & Friends (Jerry, Nick, Bob, et al) Sweetwater 4/29/89 - complete 2 CD sbd
Size: 701.90 MB
Category: Classic
Uploaded by: GaryM

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the full show of Elvis & ALL his friends, done at the birthday party for one of the last great record stores, Village Music in Mill Valley CA (last time I was there a few years ago they still only had 2 or 3 rows of CDs). This is a nice soundboard & includes such friends as NIck Lowe, Jerry Garcia, James Burton, Bob Weir, Charles Brown, Commander Cody, Sammy Hagar & such local heroes as Austin Delone, Mitch Woods & Annie Sampson. Includes art & the info file will tell you the comings & goings of everyone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use the URL below to download the torrent (you may have to login).

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... 9702&hit=1

Take care!

dimeadozen.org
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
millen

Post by millen »

Wow!
This is brilliant!
:D
Zombies man, they freak me out.
docinwestchester

Re: Elvic C & Friends (Jerry, Nick, Bob, et al) Sweetwater 4

Post by docinwestchester »

New upgrade on Dime. Sounds fantastic. Upgraded DVD to follow in about 2 days:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=403160

"Elvis Costello and Friends"
featuring Jerry Garcia, James Burton, Nick Lowe, Bob Weir, Kim Wilson, Charles Brown, Commander Cody, Sammy Hagar, Annie Sampson, Austin deLone and many others!
April 24, 1989
Sweetwater
Mill Valley, California, USA

CONTRAST CLAUSE:
This is an upgrade over the audio torrent that's posted at:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=245305

and the audio of the DVD video torrent that's posted at:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=400035

This is longer (none of the other circulating versions contain the opening Nick Lowe solo set and the video is also missing a lot of Elvis Costello's solo set). This audio is also at the correct pitch, while the previous one is more than a semitone too fast and much thinner-sounding.
END CONTRAST CLAUSE

Village Music was a little record store in Mill Valley California and its owner, John Goddard, threw a lot of great anniversary parties at the tiny nearby club, The Sweetwater. This show is full of cool one-of-a-kind performances. This is the soundboard audio from a very decent quality 2 camera shoot. This is likely to be an upgrade over everything that has previously circulated from this show. The first half is sourced from the VHS Hi-Fi "dubbing master" audio and the second half is from a Dat master. The Dat tape of the first half of the show is missing but the audio quality is similar on the VHS Hi-Fi. I attempted to list the lineups for each song after watching the video closely but since there are so many changes there may be some minor errors. I'll put quite a few samples in the comments and they will be able to be referred to for the video post also. (The upgraded video DVDs will be posted next.)

CD1 - Nick Lowe solo - 24:55
01 [00:51] intro (1)
02 [02:23] Without Love (1)
03 [01:06] talk (1)
04 [02:45] Refrigerator White (1)
05 [02:46] Geisha Girl (1)
06 [04:42] Rocky Road (1)
07 [03:55] (I Wanna Build A) Jumbo Ark (2)
08 [02:37] Bo Bo Ska Diddle Daddle (1)
09 [03:26] I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock and Roll) (1)
10 [00:24] thanks and applause

CD2 - "Elvis Costello and Friends" part 1 of 2 - 70:46
Elvis Costello solo:
01 [00:24] intro to set
02 [02:42] Accidents Will Happen (3)
03 [03:34] Brilliant Mistake (3)
04 [04:19] Deep Dark Truthful Mirror (3)
05 [01:24] talk
06 [01:51] Mystery Dance (3)
07 [01:05] talk [Elvis introduces Jerry Scheff on bass & Austin deLone on keyboards]
08 [05:03] Poisoned Rose (4)
09 [10:27] God's Comic (3)
10 [02:50] (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes (3)
11 [03:36] New Lace Sleeves (3)
12 [03:01] Peds Paws And Claws (3)
13 [03:30] Radio Sweetheart > (3)
14 [02:30] Jackie Wilson Said (3)
15 [00:24] talk
16 [03:32] (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding [with Nick Lowe] (5)
17 [01:07] talk [Elvis welcomes Jerry Scheff, Scott Mathews, Austin deLone and James Burton to the stage]
18 [03:27] The Big Light (6)
19 [05:07] Pouring Water On A Drowning Man (6)
20 [03:23] Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line (6)
21 [03:14] Leave My Kitten Alone (6)
22 [04:16] talk [Elvis welcomes Kim Wilson and Charles Brown to the stage]

CD3 - "Elvis Costello and Friends" part 2 of 2 - 77:15
01 [06:05] I Stepped In Quicksand (7)
02 [05:39] Driftin' Blues (8)
03 [00:35] Charles Brown talks
04 [03:38] I Wanna Be With You (9)
05 [01:51] talk [Austin deLone thanks Charles Brown and welcomes Kim Wilson, Nick Lowe and James Burton back to the stage plus also Sean Hopper on keyboards]
06 [04:31] One's Too Many (And A Hundred's Ain't Enough) (10)
07 [05:57] Real Gone Lover (11)
08 [03:48] talk [Austin deLone thanks Kim Wilson and welcomes Jerry Garcia and Pete Sears to the stage]
09 [03:32] You Win Again (12)
10 [02:51] The Bottle Let Me Down (13)
11 [02:04] Why Don't You Love Me? (13)
12 [01:44] talk [Sammy Hagar, Commander Cody, Mitch Woods and Annie Sampson are welcomed to the stage]
13 [04:19] Riot In Cellblock #9 (14)
14 [00:29] talk [Austin deLone introduces Sammy Hagar to sing the next song and Jeff Burton is welcomed to the stage]
15 [07:17] Going Down (15)
16 [01:39] talk [Austin deLone thanks Sammy Hagar and welcomes Bob Weir to the stage]
17 [04:39] C.C. Rider (16)
18 [07:27] Turn On Your Lovelight (17)
19 [01:29] talk [Austin deLone thanks Bob Weir, Jeff Burton and Pete Sears and welcomes James Burton, Jerry Scheff and Elvis Costello back to the stage and thanks John Goddard for throwing the party]
20 [03:24] Let The Good Times Roll (18)
21 [02:41] Loveable (19)
22 [01:36] talk [final thanks and applause]

Notes:
(1) Nick Lowe solo (vocals, acoustic guitar).
(2) Nick Lowe solo (vocals, bass).
(3) Elvis Costello (vocals, acoustic guitar).
(4) Elvis Costello (vocals, acoustic guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass), Austin deLone (piano).
(5) Elvis Costello (vocals, acoustic guitar), Nick Lowe (vocals, acoustic guitar).
(6) Elvis Costello (vocals, acoustic guitar), James Burton (lead guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass), Austin deLone (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(7) Charles Brown (vocals and piano), Kim Wilson (harp), Danny Caron (guitar), Steven Strauss (bass), Scott Mathews (drums).
(8) Charles Brown (vocals and piano), Kim Wilson (harp), Danny Caron (guitar plus a bit of backing vocals), Steven Strauss (bass plus a bit of backing vocals), Scott Mathews (drums).
(9) Charles Brown solo (vocals, piano).
(10) Kim Wilson (vocals, harp), Nick Lowe (bass, backing vocals), James Burton (guitar), Sean Hopper (electric piano), Austin Delone (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(11) Kim Wilson (vocals, harp), James Burton (guitar), Nick Lowe (bass), Sean Hopper (electric piano), Austin Delone (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(12) Elvis Costello (vocals and electric guitar for first part of song and then acoustic guitar), Jerry Garcia (guitar), James Burton (starts on acoustic guitar after approx. 1 minute of song, then switches to electric guitar for 2nd half of song), Pete Sears (bass), Austin deLone (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(13) Elvis Costello (vocals and acoustic guitar), Jerry Garcia (guitar), James Burton (guitar), Pete Sears (bass), Austin deLone (electric piano), Sean Hopper (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(14) Commander Cody (lead vocals), Elvis Costello (acoustic guitar and backing vocals), Sammy Hagar (backing vocals), Annie Sampson (backing vocals), Jerry Garcia (guitar), James Burton (guitar), Pete Sears (bass), Mitch Woods (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(15) Sammy Hagar (vocals), Annie Sampson (vocals), Jerry Garcia (guitar), Jeff Burton (guitar), Pete Sears (bass), Mitch Woods (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(16) Bob Weir (vocals, guitar), Jeff Burton (guitar), Pete Sears (bass), Austin deLone (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(17) Bob Weir (vocals, guitar), Elvis Costello (acoustic guitar, backing vocals), Austin deLone (piano, backing vocals), Jeff Burton (guitar), Pete Sears (bass), Scott Mathews (drums).
(18) Elvis Costello (lead vocals, acoustic guitar), Cait O'Riordan (backing vocals), James Burton (lead guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass), Austin deLone (piano), Scott Mathews (drums).
(19) Elvis Costello (vocals, acoustic guitar), Austin deLone (piano, backing vocals), James Burton (lead guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass), Scott Mathews (drums).

Lineage: Two TDK HD-XPro T-120 VHS tapes. There are a few video breaks for approximately 20 seconds each which were replaced with color bars. The audio is seamless with the first half from the VHS Hi-Fi soundtrack and the rest from a Dat master. A few seconds have been spliced in from an alternate downloaded soundboard source. Since all the breaks start between songs, very little of the music is missing as the video masters change tapes.

Transfer: Sony WV-DR7 > Sony DVMC-DA2 Media Converter (DV Hardware Codec Converter) > Final Cut Pro > Pro Tools (minor "nip and tuck" edits and normalization. No noise reduction or equalization).

Note: Audio versions of this show have also circulated as being from the 29th, but that is incorrect (there was a Grateful Dead show on the 29th).

Enjoy and SHARE!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

This part is really interesting. High praise from Mr. Garcia:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Also, here’s an excerpt from an interview with Elvis Costello and Jerry Garcia about the Sweetwater show, taken from Musician magazine, March 1991, posted at gratefulbreed.blogspot.com:

Elvis Costello: Certainly a candidate for the world’s greatest record store is Village Music, in Mill Valley. Every year John Goddard has a party for his friends and customers, and he always has a really good bill of people. So on the twenty-first anniversary, I did a show with Nick Lowe, and he invited James Burton and Jerry Scheff, who’d played with me on the road. I did my little set, Nick did his set and then it was a free-for-all; Charles Brown did a piece, and people were getting summoned to the stage. I was standing in the corridor when I suddenly heard, “Jerry Garcia to the stage!” And, emboldened by several margaritas, I decided to join him.

Jerry Garcia: Not only that, but it was one of those situations where I had the choice of playing either Elvis’ guitar, which is low and it’s stiff, and the strings are quite wide as well, and all this confusing script, or of playing Burton’s guitar, which is strung with spider webs. I mean it’s the absolutely lightest you can string a guitar and still get a sound out of it. I’d take Burton’s and play a note on it and it goes “spack.” So I opted to play Elvis’ guitar as the lesser of two evils. [*laughter*] And I vowed I would never go to another one of those shows without my own.

Elvis: It was a whole Three Stooges routine - “Here, you take my guitar,” “No, I’ll take your guitar.” I think I had Burton’s old Telecaster for half a song, and James had my old Martin acoustic which wasn’t cranked up so he couldn’t solo - and Jerry’s struggling with my guitar. But once everybody got settled we managed to struggle through a couple of Hank Williams songs. Like any sort of jam thing it inevitably came to degenerate towards lots of blues. But we managed a few songs with changes.

Jerry: A pretty high level of jam-sessionry really, considering what it was. Really fun. And Elvis’ solo set was phenomenal, I thought. That’s one of those things that I can’t do at all, just playing the guitar and singing. You’re so solid with that, you don’t miss a band. I always feel like I’m missing a band.