The Harpsichord

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

The Harpsichord

Post by ice nine »

I recently saw the Pgh Symphony Orchestra, or rather, a chamber version of the orchestra, conducted by Jeannette Sorrell doing all sex Brandenburg Concertos. Jeanette conducted all six pieces and played the harpsichord on a few of them. It got me thinking about the harpsichord in popular music. I can only think of Elton's I Need You To Turn To and Sam Phillips' album Martinis and Bikinis.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Re: The Harpsichord

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It has been used more often then you might think. For instance just listen to these for starters:

Jimi Hendrix "Burning of the Midnight Lamp"

The Yardbirds "For Your Love"

Simon & Garfunckel "Scarborough Fair/Canticle"

The Kinks "Session Man" or "Two Sisters" or for that matter a good chunk of their mid sixties songs

Beach Boys "Wonderful"

The Beatles "Piggies" or "In My Life"

Van Morrisson "Cyprus Avenue"

The Rolling Stones "Play With Fire" or "Lady Jane"

Joanna Newsome "Peach Plum Pear"
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

The piano, which supplanted the harpsichord, does seem a richer and more varied instrument, but part of me regrets this displacement. It's a most attractive sound in its own right.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Thank you, Jack. You are a fount of knowledge.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

I might miss-remember it, but isn't there harpsichord on 'Harpie's Bizarre'?

(Come to think of it, it might just be the title that played tricks on my memory :) )

I don't think The Beatles 'In My Life' has got harpsichord - that's a sped-up piano in the solo.

Tori Amos's album 'Boys For Pele' uses a lot of harpsichord instead of her usual piano.

While I adore the sound of the instrument, I find it quickly tires on the ear.
Jack of All Parades

Ymaginatif wrote:I might miss-remember it, but isn't there harpsichord on 'Harpie's Bizarre'?

(Come to think of it, it might just be the title that played tricks on my memory :) )

I don't think The Beatles 'In My Life' has got harpsichord - that's a sped-up piano in the solo.

Tori Amos's album 'Boys For Pele' uses a lot of harpsichord instead of her usual piano.

You are absolutely right and I stand corrected. Though in my defense I like the comment here:

Recording[edit]

The song was recorded on 18 October 1965, and was complete except for the instrumental bridge.[11] At that time, Lennon had not decided what instrument to use, but he subsequently asked George Martin to play a piano solo, suggesting "something Baroque-sounding".[1] Martin wrote a Bach-influenced piece that he found he could not play at the song's tempo. On 22 October, the solo was recorded with the tape running at half speed, so when played back at normal pace the piano was twice as fast and an octave higher, solving the performance challenge and also giving the solo a unique timbre, reminiscent of a harpsichord.[12][13

It has always had the sound of a harpsichord to my ears.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Jack of All Parades wrote:
Ymaginatif wrote:I might miss-remember it, but isn't there harpsichord on 'Harpie's Bizarre'?

You are absolutely right and I stand corrected. Though in my defense I like the comment here:

Recording[edit]

The song was recorded on 18 October 1965, and was complete except for the instrumental bridge.[11] At that time, Lennon had not decided what instrument to use, but he subsequently asked George Martin to play a piano solo, suggesting "something Baroque-sounding".[1] Martin wrote a Bach-influenced piece that he found he could not play at the song's tempo. On 22 October, the solo was recorded with the tape running at half speed, so when played back at normal pace the piano was twice as fast and an octave higher, solving the performance challenge and also giving the solo a unique timbre, reminiscent of a harpsichord.[12][13

It has always had the sound of a harpsichord to my ears.
It's funny how the memory works by association :wink:
Jack of All Parades

Indeed, yes it is. After all does not a certain artist, of some repute, state in one of his lyrics that 'imagination is a powerful deceiver' or something to that effect? 8)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Has everyone forgotten the magnificent You Little Fool ? I adked Steve earlier this year if it was a genuine harpsichord or an electronic keyboard and he confirmed my conviction that it WAS a real harpsichord !