Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Anyone in the US seen School of Rock???

I just saw the song from the soundtrack, with Jack Black running about...thought it was pretty fun. Is the film any good????
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It was cute. Like a musical version of Adam Sandler's Billy Madison.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Jack Black is great in that Foo Fighters video. "It's about, you know, when the BIG MEN, after a few drinks, get in touch with their feminine sides", he told Letterman.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cool...Billy Madison is brilliant...the only Sandler thing that I've liked though.

Tenacious D was one of the best albums of last year I thought...funny funny funny!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

He was also in the video for Beck's "Sexx Laws"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
A rope leash

School of Rock

Post by A rope leash »

I took Josie and the Pussycats to the cineplex last night to see School or Rock. It's a poorly filmed movie that is nonetheless entertaining for burnt-out rockers and children alike.

Jack Black is going to hurt himself. Joan Cusack is dead on.

The kids were appeased.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Joan Cusack is brilliant.

Rented Down With Love last night. I liked it. A lot. I was entertained.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Saw "Mystic River" tonight. Very good. The first scene has some really crappy direction, you'll see with the hand and the ring...WWWAYYYY over the top, that. Tim Robbins is fucking brilliant in it....I mean it!!! Sean Penn is very very good and Marcia Gay Harden had me the whole time.

Very good movie, just some obvious direction choices with scenes and frames that make you think "Yeah, I see that already...move on".

I personally would give Tim Robbins an award for this, and I'm not an award person.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Saw Mystic River, Intolerable Cruelty, Son Of Raggy Boy and Holes over the weekend.
Mystic is a fine piece of work, with career performances from all involved. Clint really has found his voice, not a wasted minute. Intolerable falls between two stools, still it was entertaining. Bemusing, but not surprising, to hear dialogue with quotes from Shakespeare tanking with a sellout friday night audience.
Raggy Boy and Holes are similiar in storyline and subtexts. Both,imo, work quite well. Holes, obviously, is more palatable, while Raggy Boy really is savage and hits home. An older lady walked out after one of the more brutal flogging scenes. That says it all.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/dispfilm ... &PageID=15

Just seen On the Run (Cavale) [Trilogy 1]. Extraordinary, I can't wait to see the next part.
HungupStrungup

sappy isn't always bad

Post by HungupStrungup »

I just saw "Love Actually" and thought it was excellent. Sappy, yes in some ways, as Christmas movies tend to be, almost have to be, but quite good in the clinches. The scene where new PM Hugh Grant meets his Number Ten household staff for the first time has a huge laugh in it, and Grant, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson and the boy who plays his stepson are all wonderful. I don't know Bill Nighy's previous work, but he very nearly steals the picture from an excellent and much more attractive cast.

Okay, the payoff scene at the school Christmas pageant is highly improbable, but that's nicely balanced against the sweet scene in the restaurant, with the halting Portuguese and the equally bad English providing nice laughs.

Anyway, I recommend it.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
martinfoyle

Re: sappy isn't always bad

Post by martinfoyle »

I don't know Bill Nighy's previous work, but he very nearly steals the picture from an excellent and much more attractive cast.
Bill is great, is'nt he. Here's his imdb page.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0631490/

He's particularly brilliant in State of Play,

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0362192/

a great mini series that was on here last spring.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I saw Elf today with Will Ferrel (he was in it I mean, he didn't accompany me). It was excellent, very funny. It's funny for children and adults, and as Im a big kid myself, I loved it. There's nothing purer or more beautiful than the laughter of a child.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Apologies in advance to all the Matrix-haters, but I saw Matrix: Revolutions. I thought it was ten times better than the second one, more entertaining, easier to follow, etc. And Keanu has his part of his face covered for part of the movie, camouflaging his terrible acting. Poor Monica Bellucci's breasts had more lines than she did, and the painfully explicit Christlike imagery at the end was unnecessary, but overall, I was entertained down to my toes. I even believed that Trinity and Neo were really passionately in love for a few seconds.
martinfoyle

Re: sappy isn't always bad

Post by martinfoyle »

Bill is great, is'nt he. Here's his imdb page.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0631490/

He mentions Elvis in this

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/printabl ... teid=50082
-And Elvis Costello was always a favourite rock dancer of mine, because he used to do post-modern ironic dancing which involved putting your knees together and looking really stupid.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i rented a movie called the florentine (1999) starring chris penn, michael madsen, tom sizemore, etc, etc, and it´s the story about this bar (the florentine) and a bunch of people who go to this bar......it´s a nice little movie.....but what it surprised me the most was its soundtrack: e.c´s how much i´ve lied, springsteen´s beautiful reward, southside johnny´s i don´t wanna go home, etc, etc,.......really nice sndtrk.!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

girl out of time wrote:i rented a movie called the florentine (1999) starring chris penn, michael madsen, tom sizemore, etc, etc, and it´s the story about this bar (the florentine) and a bunch of people who go to this bar......it´s a nice little movie.....but what it surprised me the most was its soundtrack: e.c´s how much i´ve lied, springsteen´s beautiful reward, southside johnny´s i don´t wanna go home, etc, etc,.......really nice sndtrk.!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/6 ... 61-6402751
Sounds fascinating, must check it out.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Saw Master & Commander, Love Actually and Trilogy 2 over the last few days.
M&C really does deliver, excellent storytelling with not a wasted minute. Crowe puts in his best performance since The Insider, the support cast of RADA's finest are great. You really are out in the sea, one can almost taste the salt.
Love Actually is as bad as most critics are saying, though strangely endearing. Laura Linney and, big surprise, Emma Thompson put in nuanced performances, while the rest of the cast, with the exception of Bill Nighy, who plays a blinder,suffer from bad direction. A good half hour could have been dropped from the running time.
Trilogy 2, the funny one, is not as good as 1, still I can't wait to see 3, and then maybe see a marathon of the three of them back to back.
Anyone else see any films?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Bad Santa and Mystic River. We were excited about Bad Santa since Terry Zwigoff directed it, the Coen's exec produced it and Billy Bob Thornton is a great actor. It was interesting but I thought that it had some serious problems with maintaining a consistent tone. It had the look of a serious drama, contained some pretty raunchy comedy and had some almost disturbingly graphic violence. It didn't quite gel together coherently, but it was still worth seeing.

Mystic River was absolutely devastating. I've been haunted by it all night and still can't get over how a movie so risky could have ever gotten greenlighted even with so much A-list talent on board. I'm also shocked that Clint Eastwood directed it. He's directed some damn fine movies such as High Plains Drifter, Play Misty For Me and The Outlaw Josey Whales but has made so many consecutive stinkers that I took him for done as a director. I've always found it odd that Unforgiven got so much praise for being a thoughtful deconstruction of western movie mythology but ultimately it made violence look cool because it ended with Clint echoing his Man With No Name character from the Sergio Leone films. With Mystic River, we actually get a very mature, grim depiction of what violence can do to people and how traumatic experiences can shatter lives and continue to reverberate for generations afterwards.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

took the younguns to see The Cat in the Hat. The hands are all wrong, but the kids liked it. I think the Cat is much more of an icon to me than he is to my kids, but dammit, I read that book over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to them. Will Hop on Pop be out next year?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I liked Love Actually, but it could've EASILY used some songs from North every now and then!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Saw Strayed , http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329111/ , this afternoon at a French film festival here in Dublin. Obviously it's so new they have'nt got around to doing english subtitles for it yet. Still I could just about follow the story. Eamanuelle Beart is never bad, though the male lead looked a bit out of his depth. Now I'm off to Colin 'fockin' Farrell's latest vehicle, SWAT. Crunchy with the smooth.
Any one in the US care to share with us non-US people their impressions of The Last Samaurai?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Haven't seen "Last Samurai" yet -- but the critical consensus seems to be done "don't get your hopes too high." Ed Zwick is a good director, but very, very earnest and not always in a good way.

Re: "Swat" -- if the whole movie was like the first half, this actually would have been good. It starts out like a sort of slick semi-documentary look at something resembling the actual world of high-end policing and then turns into a really silly action flick with lots of explosions. Still, there's good stuff in it -- and I hope for better stuff coming up from the director, Clark Johnson. Fans of the great TV series "Homicide" will know him as Det. Meldrick (the guy with the hat).

He actually appears very briefly in "Swat" as the soon-to-be-ex-partner of one of the cops, and his character is named "_____'s Handsome Partner" in the credits.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Last Samurai = Dances with Wolves. Or maybe Dances with Kitanas. Either way, blech.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Bobster is bang on the money about SWAT, god it goes to hell half way through. At least Farrell has the dignity to look embarassed. He is capable of better, and by the sound of things his next few films should be just that. I was watching out for Clark Johnson, nice cameo, though he has got chubby. Hard to believe his last appearance was in a quite good Canadian feminists film called On Our Knees, which is well worth checking out. So another weekend's films out of the way, still have to see Trilogy 3 and an interesting sounding film called WILBUR WANTS TO KILL HIMSELF.