RIP Robert Hughes

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

RIP Robert Hughes

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Read just a bit ago of his passing at the age of 74. A writer of sinuous, lithe prose who could pare his criticisms down to eminently quotable epigrams-like all good critics. Here are a few:

"The unexamined life, said Socrates, is not worth living. The memoirs of Julian Schnabel, such as they are, remind one that the converse is also true. The unlived life is not worth reviewing " on Julian Schnabel

"Koons is the baby to Andy Warhol's rosemary. He has done for narcissism what Michael Milken did for the junk bond." on Jeff Koons

He is one of only a few critics who taught me how to look at art- the others being John Updike and Arthur Danto. I always looked forward to a new book by him. His Barcelona, The Fatal Shore, Goya,The Shock of the New and Rome deserve their status as classics. I loved that his middle name was Studley as it seemed to personify his out sized personality and prose style. He did not equivocate in his judgements. I appreciated that. He was a tremendous teacher.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bambooneedle

Re: RIP Robert Hughes

Post by bambooneedle »

RIP. Always enjoyed this man's gifts. So heartfelt in his convictions he brought a passion to his subjects that made them intriguing as he imparted illuminating insight into their splendour.