RIP (The) Word

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

RIP (The) Word

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hugely saddened to find the only magazine I subscribe to has gone to the wall.

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/

When editors of the experience and calibre of Hepworth and Ellen with their army of devoted readers can't make it work financially, it's a sad world indeed. Would gladly pay more for it, but too late now. Was turned onto it by someone here, Laughing Crow maybe (remember him? He also got me into Elbow). Have subscribed for some 7 years.

My doormat will be bereft from here on, and me with it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Re: RIP (The) Word

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Do not know a thing about this periodical but can tell from your tone that it meant a great deal to you.I can only equate it to me not having my New Yorker show up on the front parlor table each Thursday. I would be adrift and bereft, too. You have my condolences. I, too, think we die a little each time one of our favorite 'inky' voices dies these days.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I just found out yesterday about this and was of course saddened to hear that August's issue will be the last. I never subscribed but would often buy it each month at my local bookstore. To me, Word always went further than other magazines both in highlighting new music and looking at the history of rock so far and the context surrounding it. I will definitely miss it.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Otis Westinghouse

The quality of the writing and the length and depth of the texts was always a significant notch above the rock norm. Comparisons have ben made with the New Yorker, but regular Word columnist and contributor Andrew Collins puts this in perspective here in this interesting blog commentary:

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/

Good to know you were enjoying Word over there in Florida, SITH (love your acronym!). The outpourings of grief-stricken commentary on the Word's site often reflected a fairly far fling readership/following.

I suspect I would be worse than Andrew C above in not being able to keep up with the NY's weekly detailed offerings, but I would love something arriving on my mat on a regular basis that could nourish me like that.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Otis, you are right about The NewYorker. Some weeks it is a struggle to read cover to cover. But that is why I have had my paper copy going on some forty years now since I purchased my first subscription. I can pick it up and read at my leisure. I also can pass it along as I have done with you or other friends. These days I save my copies and ship them to Astoria, Queens to a daughter who gives them a second read and a good home.. The blog piece you shared is right in noting this tendency amongst it's readership to pass it on. It is the one periodical, that were it to cease, it's vanishing would leave an enormous void in my intellectual, social and inquisitive life.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
John

Post by John »

Sad news indeed. laughingcrow (where are you?) introduced me to this magazine years ago with some free offer. I think it was just after meeting up for the Barrowlands concert in Galasgow. I subscribed, let it lapse, missed it and subscribed again. Car trips without the free CD will just not be same. RIP the Word.
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, I think he did the same with me too, re the offer.

Bittersweet of The Final Edition this week. Some great stuff as ever. Wondering what alternative mag we'll be offered for our subscription cash. Mixmag is Development Hell's other mag (how I loved seeing that name on my bank statement!), but surely it can't be that - DJ Rob Da Bank, etc. - no thanks.
History History

Post by History History »

Shame it's not Q. What a soulless rag!
Otis Westinghouse

The Week, anybody? Kind of a digest of other news commentaries with added commentaries. Suspect I'll be going for a refund, despite the slightly harrowing plea in their letter that it will really help them if we all sign up. My 12 month sub renewed in June, so I'm owed 11 copies, but their letter claimed it was only 1! Didn't make me feel too positive about it all. Many are saying they're happy to donate their unfulfilled money, but these are increasingly financially straitened times for most of us, no?
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

Such a shame. It was my favourite music (and entertainment) magazine. Seem to remember that EC was on the first ever cover, which made me take a liking to them instantly. I've been fortunate enough to go to a couple of The Word gigs in London, met Neil Hannon (plus the editorial team of the mag) and had the opportunity to chat to the lads from Dodgy. It was a publication which had integrity, demanded your attention (the reviews didn't have any "stars" or number out of ten scores, simply the text) and was written by people with a genuine love for music. It had a warmth to it which the likes of Uncut and Mojo, as good as they are, just don't seem to be able to rival.

"Q" is a joke these days. Nobody with an interest in real music buys it, surely?

RIP The Word. You will be sorely missed.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
Otis Westinghouse

Wasn't it Moz on the first edition? I joined in a year or so later on, but think I've read that. Will check.

Wishing I'd been to some of their gigs. Who have you met? Neil Hannon must have been droll. The podcasts were great fun. I downloaded the entire lot from iTunes the other day for posterity, and am about 6 into the 230 or so total. I never bothered as they happened, but wish I had.

The Week is actually rather good as a replacement. Weekly, obviously, and totally different in that arts and culture is only a small part, but actually a great way to keep informed without having to spend hours and hours internet surfing, etc. Nice global news coverage, and picks out interesting stuff from all the main nationals, so I can also keep abreast of the right-wing press;s take on stuff as well as the ones I buy! Rather happy to have it now, after two editions.

I imagine/hope Q is now improving now that ex-Word's Andrew Harrison is editor, but won't go back to it. No more music mag subscriptions for me.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

I've just looked it up - the first cover star was Nick Cave - the second issue's cover star was DPA McManus. Moz was #4.
"But look at yourself
Otis Westinghouse

Ah yes, Cave. Recall reading that in the outpouring of grief when it folded and people were saying they'd loved it since issue 1.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

As I don't want to see all the quality music magazines fail, I've just subscribed to Mojo for at least a year. It was either that or Uncut, but the latter's complete obsession with Americana (as much as I like the genre) puts me off a little. Mojo has the best of everything. I'd hate to see it go, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. To lose another great music mag and just be left with the bland, mainstream titles would be a terrible loss.
"But look at yourself