The Day From Hell

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
SoLikeCandy

The Day From Hell

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I do love my job, folks. I do, I do, I do. But, when people don't communicate--or communicate too much--problems arise.

I work for the marketing department for IUPUI. My boss, aside from being a damn fine looking man, is by far the sweetest, hardest working, most compassionate, funniest person I've ever had the fortune to work for. The majority of the people in my office are the same: they work hard, they like to laugh, and they love to eat. My kinda crowd.

That's why I don't understand how things could have gotten so screwed up today.

My boss is on a much deserved vacation. My office manager--who is the sweetest person in the world, but must be allergic to eight hour days and five day weeks--took yet another half day today. Nothing new--I don't take lunches because she comes in late, take a 2 hour lunch, and leaves early, if she's here at all...but I could handle it. It had been quiet all afternoon.

That's when all Hell broke loose.

The assistant to the Vice Chancellor (my boss's boss) wanted to know where some "text" was for a tribute to an outgoing faculty member. I didn't know, and told her I would call her back when I did. Ten minutes later, she called back, asking the same question. No dice, I said--I'll call you when I have an answer, I promise. FIVE minutes later, she's in my office, demanding the text. It took all I had not to poke her in the eye with my mechanical pencil. Finally, she left, unpoked, still mumbling.

The local newspaper called, wanting to know where this week's ad was--today is the deadline. My boss didn't leave an ad. The office manager is gone. I called her on her cell, and she knows nothing about an ad. I told the newspaper we don't have one. They called again, asking if we could have something to them by 6, an hour after the deadline. Nope, I said. The big man is gone. There is nothing. The ad chick told me she'll call back in an hour.

The crazy lady in my office told me that one of the SEVENTEEN faxes I sent didn't go through. She does this a lot, you know. She will stand at my desk, a worried look on her face, waiting to tell me that there's no paper in the copier, or that her computer won't let her move a file from one folder to another. She will wait until 4:50pm to send me files that need to be posted to our website. She will talk about the guy with whom she went out on a date ONCE, and how she thinks he will be a good addition to her family. She's in her early thirties, slim, pretty, and the most annoying person in Indiana.

The printing company called. The newspaper called. The Vice Chancellor called. Some chick named LaQuisha called. All at the same damn time. All wanting information--information that I didn't have--and wanting it NOW. NOW, damn it! What do you mean you don't know? Why not? How long will it take you to find out?

My boss called--bless his soul. He is on vacation, but he called to help straighten things out.

Yet, I'm still here, cleaning up other people's messes. No matter--when things get rough, my boss gives me paid days off. I'll be asking for one as soon as he returns.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds like a bit of a handful. I work part time in marketing with the Ontario government, and our boss skips out at 3:30 every afternoon, and takes many Fridays off.

One such Friday, in which he, his boss, and his boss's boss were all off, there was a media scandal, and my poor co-workers were left to deal with the situation at hand on their own, without the help of their manager, their manager's manager, or the Executive Director.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Sorry to hear about your nightmare of a day Candy. I hope today is an easier day for you. Stress is a very destructive thing. Book a few days off and spoil yourself silly - you deserve it!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

am i sick, given that i LIKE days like SLC described? well, only when i can get the answers to people. i LOVE being the saviour.

yeah, i know, i am sick. could be worse. i could think elvis costello is absolute crap. which, i don't. :)
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

You guys are the best...! I was on the verge of tears on the way home from work yesterday...reading your responses this morning made me feel much better about my day. You rock! :oops:
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oh, SLC, looks like you need a NiceCupOfTeaAndASitDown. Take it easy, don't fret.