Should we execute murderers?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Should we execute murderers?

Yes we should execute murderers
15%
No we should never execute murderers
85%

Total votes: 20

Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

NUKE 'em all
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

costs too much
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

introspective stuff giving you nosebleeds again is it Cope ?
Where's North from 'ere?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Storm...it could be becuase of the haze in my fragile eggshell mind associated with last night's debauchary at Christiania....the Danish Free State...!....(which is probably being closed down by the new conservative goverment, which does not believe in hash or not paying taxes!)

nuke me! I'm fried.... :lol:
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Cope, Christiania sounds like Heaven to me.
Where's North from 'ere?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

STORM it is a heaven! My girlfriend and I spent last night bumming around The Free State, smoking a huge one, and then driving around the city on a rickshaw, firing pot shots at the driver....*he unfortunately suffered from plumber's butt*...we had to let him know!

Unfortunately a great night ended once again in a paranoid frenzy with her accusing me of acting like Josef Mengale!...doh...
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Some of my extremely random and non-committal thoughts on the subject.

Mood Swung and Noiseradio both made the comment that some people deserve to die, which I agree with on the face of it. However, I'm not convinced that we are the people to decide who deserves it. By "we" , I mean our criminal justice as it exists. I think they get it right most of the time, but mistakes are made, and when you're talking about executing people, that is a mistake that can't be taken back.

I live in a state that executes mentally retarded people who didn't understand the heinous nature of their crimes, and who don't understand the nature of the death penalty. Do they deserve to die? Or did they deserve to be better taken care of, so that their victims wouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Certainly, the victims and their families deserve something more than they got. What about the middle-aged guy who gets behind the wheel drunk, and kills someone with his car? Vehicular manslaughter, in this state, anyway, is no gas chamber bounce; you'd get several years, at the most. Sure, the killing was an accident, but the drinking wasn't. Does that meet the test of premeditation? Someone is still dead as a result of someone's coherent decision. Do retarded people have the capacity to premeditate? Do alcoholics have the capacity to premeditate? Or does their illness render them incapable of logical thought? Where do you draw the line?

I'm not completely sure how I feel about the death penalty. For any one example supporting it, you can think of 10 that don't. So until the system is perfect, we all have to live with the possibility that we might execute the wrong person.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Why not give the sentenced the choice... life imprisonment or death?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Hey goody2shoes,

Well said. You actually express my feelings pretty well, especially when you talk about thinking some deserve to die, but feeling terribly uneasy about our current system. And about one mistake being one too many. And about the mentally ill.

And about the ambiguity of it all. I still don't have my own feelings worked out 100%. But on paper, in pure theory, I support the death penalty as a viable option in the most extreme of cases. Don't ask me how to make it work.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

YAAA TIM(E)...Death or UUUNGA BUNNGA!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

so lacklustre wrote:What about someone who commits a kinder murder?
Hee hee hee Matey...did you ever think of how weird the phrase KINDER MURDER looks if one considers the meaning of "kinder" in German????