CD Collection survey

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Is your CD collection sorted alphabetically?

Yes
56%
No
44%
What CD collection?
No votes

Total votes: 25

BlueChair

CD Collection survey

Post by BlueChair »

How much of a musical nerd am I, anyway?

Is your CD collection sorted alphabetically by artist?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

alphabetically by artist, then by date issued, then by color.

NOT!

little piles here, a basket there. I do usually pick them up off the floor of the van.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Definitely alphabetically, by genre - pop/rock/blues/alternative, then jazz, classical. I'd never find anything if I didn't alphabetize them.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You people scare me.

:lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Also by genre. My girlfriend used to work in a music store, so she insisted on the genre thing (I used to just alphabetize- 1500+ Cds, it is a necessity). Anywho, I'm glad we went genre. When Katrina hit, the only CD cases that were totally destroyed were our 'classical', 'world', and 'trip hop' categories, almost none of which were mine!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

What's funny, moody, is that your first line pretty much describes my sorting process - except maybe colour. Whenever I get a new CD I excitedly file it chronologically into that artist's section.

While my excuse is legitimately that I would never find anything otherwise, I'm sure that's just something a lot of us use to rationalize it :P
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Yup. Same type of system as WSS here. 1. ) Pop, writ large 2.) All Elvis section 3.) Jazz, standards, musicals 4.) Classical. 5.) Holiday. Of course, those little piles appear throughout the apartment, but at least they have a place to go when I get round to straightening up!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I'm with Mood Swung!
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Alphabetically by artist, then by release date.

For a while – after I’ve read High Fidelity - I thought of arranging them according to the order in which I bought them. With addition of vinyls it would have been easy to see how my musical tastes evolved or to associate albums with a certain time of my life.
I gave up the idea, though. Alphabetically is really the easiest way to do it.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I used to be super-anal about it, but with the setup I have now, it's sort of strictly alphabetized piles, within which the more frequently played discs sort of rise to the top.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Alphabetical....except for a shelf or two given over to special faves. Seen as how I have an entire wall of specially made shelves the 'specials' are located about halfway up on the right. The 'faves' are Costello, The Beatles , the'Stones, Bowie , Elton John, Nils Lofgren, Steve Forbert , Matt Monro, Springsteen, Joe Jackson and Graham Parker . I have a seperate shelf system ( under a window) for compilations and soundtracks.

You probably didn't want to know most of that.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

First by genre, then alphabetical. However, The Beatles and The Band are put under 'B' while The Waterboys, The Sundays, The Decemberists, etc, are all under 'T'.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Can't go for that , for me needs to be 'Decemberists, The'. Pop, rock 'n' boogie alphabetically, but nearly always with a few out around the house. Box sets on top of CD storage shelves. Jazz, 'world' [yuk term], compilations and shitloads of mag samplers in a bit of a mess down below. A stash in the kitchen near the portable player, mainly last few Word comps, and some Board CD-circle things for ongoing reflection. Bootlegs in different room on own shelf, near computer. Box of copied, largely unsorted things, en route to being posted and given to people I've been meaning to give/send them to for several months...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Do you put The The under
a) The The
or
b) The, The

And where do you put U2 amongst the U's?
a) at the beginning (ASCII)
or
b) Convert the number to letters 'Utwo' and file alphabetical

And what if i had any 10cc?

Mine is largely in alpha order apart from piles of 'cds in action'. No genre separation.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm still not sure whether to leave Brian Wilson's Smile with the W's or move it in with the Beach Boys.
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

In my vanity, I file my own recordings in with my main CD collection. Thus, I am spread out all over the place, filed under: Becker, Dave; Pophead; Anyface; Whiskeyfoot; Supercarters; Perry Bros.; and The Bleeps. Various entries are found in my folk, rock, punk, and alt-country genres. I need to get a life......
Mechanical Grace

I'd say having music you made yourself (especially enough to accumulate so many names!) is life o' plenty. :)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

It's currently unsorted in piles - cds outside of their cases - empty cases in America - in plastic sleeves over here - a good deal of the collection didn't come over. Before that alphabetically - not by genre - too difficult to do that - (arguments with myself - "That's not reggae, it's ska...no it's not it's rock steady) - straight alphabetical.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

My wife's records are alphabetized. Mine are basically assorted by genre, until i have aquired more than three albums by the same artist, then they go into this separate 120 cd rack where they are stacked in chronological order. Of course this rack has all of EC, some of Dylan, Cash and other bands.

let me know if this is a bit neurotic, my wife thinks it is.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

No order whatsover! I am an organised neat and tidy person, but since my parner moved in 9 years ago ive lived in continual chaos! The worst part about it is he never puts a Cd back in its case so you go to play something and theres no disc!!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The worst part about it is he never puts a Cd back in its case so you go to play something and theres no disc!!!
Mechanical Grace

:lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Stuff I have a lot of - Stones, Costello, Waits, etc -- stacked in the top shelves, each of these artist's albums in chronological order by year of release from left to right, and the rest of the artists alphabetically and not necessarily in chronological order. The Clash goes under C. I group solo Beatles and Wings with The Beatles, and Mick Jagger etc with The Rolling Stones. Same with other solo artists - with their respective groups.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

artists alphabetically
multi-artist complilations separate, but alphabetical
Soundtracks separate, but alphabetical UNLESS it is by a single artist, like "Stop Making Sense" or "Last Temptation of Christ"... under artist. It's only fair, and if these artist-specific soundtracks are mixed with the multi-artists soundtracks they will only make them feel bad about themselves, and that isn't fair at all.

My Victoria's Secret 5 CD classical collection is in a category all of it's own.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

lots of obsessive compulsive disorder on this board it seems :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!