New Releases: Radiohead and Steely Dan

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
SoLikeCandy

New Releases: Radiohead and Steely Dan

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Okay, I know there has been a discussion about Radiohead being not nearly as cool as everyone says they are, but I'm listening to their new album now (on VH1.com), and it's as disturbing as it is gorgeous. "I Will" is a song in the middle of the album that's like an island of beauty in a surreal industrial trash heap. Absolutely gorgeous. Thom Yorke has a much prettier voice than I once thought.

The album as a whole is not what I expected--it's a little cleaner in places, but much dirtier, more raw in others. I don't think "Hail To The Thief" will change the minds of those who believe Radiohead is a bunch of poseurs, but this is good shit, y'all.

"Everything Must Go" by Steely Dan was also released today. Icy cool. If you like rock, don't bother with this album--this is the tightest laid-back jazz I've heard in years. That Mssrs. Becker and Fagen created this in just 1.5 years boggles my little mind--of course, the precision of the band can become a bit lifeless at times, but Walter Becker's bass is quietly funky, and Donald Fagen's keyboard playing is intricate, and the lyrics, as usual, are delightfully cryptic. "Pixeleen" is a favorite. How can a person (Fagen) with such a nasal voice still have perfect pitch? I don't get it--but it works.

In the sea of crap that was released today, here are two great albums. If you're cheap (or just broke, like I am), VH1.com is streaming both full albums. Enjoy.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The Steely Dan album has the timeless classic sound of their previous albums, albeit with a digital sheen. Great to see brilliant musicians like Bill Charlap checking their egos at the door and being part of the band. This album will still be delivering in 20 years and more, when Radiohead will be lucky to get a Butlin's gig.