Introduction....help

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
taz
Site Admin

Introduction....help

Post by taz »

Okay folks...you all have helped me get introduced to some great musicians and need your assistance one again. Actually I'll combine a couple. Give me your suggestions on which albums by the following I should start with:

Frank Black
Leonard Cohen
Bjork

Thanks!
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

you should start at the begining with frank black. if you don't have any pixies albums go pick up doolittle and surfer rosa. if you do than jump directly to frank black's self titled album and teenager of the year. these are just great albums. unfortunantly they're really not representative of what he's about anymore. pistolero, dog in the sand, and blak letter days are (to me, anyway) his essential albums with the catholics.

as for leonard cohen (a big influence on frank black), i started with various positions and new skin for the old ceremony. anywhere is a good place to start with cohen. that's why he's so good. he is timeless.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oooh goody, more Bjork!

I'd suggest you go out tomorrow and get 'Debut', 'Post' and 'Homogenic'. They should all be pretty cheap (I know for a fact they're around 7/8 quid in HMV here in the UK). If not, or if you want to test the water first I'd go for 'Post' to start with. The magnificent 'Army of Me' kicks this one off, with 'Hyperballad', 'I Miss You' and 'Isobel' taking you to places you've never been before.

OR

I know it's a cop-out, but you could just get the recent 'Greatest Hits' compilation and go from there.

I wish I could afford Family Tree. :( Grrr :x
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

While I like all three of those artists on some level (though Bjork and Frank Black are still largely unfamiliar to me), I find myself in a position where I can't help for once. I pretty much like everything by Leonard Cohen that I have heard though.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

hahaha...stumped BlueChair!!!! :D just kidding...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

I agree with cpunk choices on FB.
I'd definitely go in this order:
Teenager, Frank Black, Black Letter Days, Dog in the Sand, Devil's Workshop, Pistolero.
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm with the Plaything on Bjork. Post is a corker. The bass register is so heavy that my normally solid car speakers just can't handle it. I don't know Homogenic, but want to, sounds great. It's curious that the Greatest Hits doesn't contain It's Oh So Quiet - presumably her biggest hit, here at least. I guess she's disowned it like REM with Shiny Happy People, or The Cure with Love Cats, but I love it. My 7 year old always wants it in the car having seen it on Stars In Their Eyes done twice now (apparently the kid one was better than the adult!), and it is great fun there. The quiet bits are so quiet you have to turn it up, and then it turns in a big riot with great screaming. I love the ways she does the period band thing to a tee. Totally at odds with the rest of the LP, and yet it fits. Inspired. Recent Observer review of her in London sad she'd changed direction again. Thom Yorke said she amazing to work with (never heard their collaboration), such a good musician.
girl out of time

the man who was tooooooooooo louuuddddddd

Post by girl out of time »

you may wanna try the frank black/teenage fanclub recordings at the bbc radio- the john peel sessions.
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I will second or third the advice of C Punk and the Bunny-- the self-titled FRANK BLACK (not to be confused with the self-titled FRANK BLACK AND THE CATHOLICS-- v. different!), and POST, if you must pick just one of each. Though you could be chronological and start with DEBUT, too, which wouldn't be a bad idea cause her stuff just gets richer and richer, so a bit like having the white wine before the red. Just wait till you get to HOMOGENIC. Holy crap. What an amazing record.

Also: PROMISE us FB fans you'll listen to that FB record fully TEN times. Cause for most people I've known, his stuff takes a bit. But then-- arrrgh-- you're hooked!!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"And it sticks like a broken record, everything sticks like a broken record..."

Frank Black:

Get Pixies stuff (Doolittle or Trompe Le Monde) if you have been doing without. But Frank Black's solo albums in the order they were released. Self-titled and Teenager are two of my favorite records by anyone.

Bjork:

I'd advise Vespertine or Post right off the bat. And I'd save Debut until after those. Homogenic is very good, and the Dancer in the Dark soundtrack is lovely. But, for my money Vespertine and Post are the two best things she's done.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Okay, last night I picked up (thank god for credit cards...it's not real money, is it) Frank Black (self-titled) and Pixies Trompe Le Monde. On first listen I am definitely liking Trompe Le Monde immediately and brought Frank Black into work to give it another couple listens during the day.

Must admit for some reason (okay, I'm an idiot) I had the Pixies and the Pogues confused in my head...needless to say as soon as the first song started my brain righted itself.

Definitely gonna pick one of the recommended Bjork cd's in next couple days...hmmm, b-day's coming up, maybe make my mom buy a couple for me... :D