The Importance of Being Morrissey

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

The Importance of Being Morrissey

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm still recovering from the pleasure and privilege of seeing the above stunning documentary on Channel 4. I hope everyone in these isles saw it, and that everyone in the US, Chile, France, Mar del Plata and everywhere else gets to see it. For anyone with a passing interest in Moz or more, this was wonderful. Just so endlessly fascinating to see this mythical beast up close, where he was a mixture of candid and predictably secret. And even though he does tea in his fabulous house (built by Clark Gable for Carole Lombard) with Nancy Sinatra, he remains his own tremendously eccentric and uncompromising self. Of course I squirmed with horror when he slagged off Bowie ('He was an interesting artist ... in 1970 or '71'), but he reserved the best for Elton John: 'Bring me the head of Elton John. Actually, that would be one instance where meat wouldn't be murder.'

Loads of great clips of videos I've never seen (The More You Ignore Me), great concert footage, e.g. from last September's Albert Hall, a bit about his huge Hispanic following, a connected dismissal of the idea that he could ever be racist, JK Rowling, Will Self, the Mael brothers (yes, Dr J!) et al drooling, Moz driving his lovely dog around in his flash jag, as well as riding a Vespa (ouch, no helmet!). I would have been riveted for another 5 hours watching more of the same. He is a unique genius, and the world would have been a far less worthwhile place for the last 20 years without him.

And it ended with a nice version of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood over the credits. Anyone know who that was by? Appropriate way to end, as the programme was an unexpected opportunity for him to be himself, to say 'I am what I am' but to also celebrate everything that's special about him.

It's so obvious that if J K Rowling (a huge fan!) is so appalled that he doesn't have a record deal, she shouldd just start a label for him. The bit of new song we saw (First of the Gang To Die) was great. Want to hear more of the same.

And we saw an 'Oye Esteban' poster, Idle Hands! Great.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

It lived up to expectations and I wasn't disappointed. I love the way he lives in middle of Hollywood - the most artificial place on earth - yet because he's in his own little bubble everything Hollywood stands for rebounds of him. And his accent has become stuck somewhere between Widnes and Dublin. Moz is King! I didn't want it to end. Loved it :P .

That version of 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' sung over the credits was by Nina Simone, Otis. And he's got a record deal now on an offshoot of Trojan I think.
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

aawww, that won't probably be broadcasted around here, but I'll surely find it with a diehard fan who sells his stuff at the local flea market...
On the other hand, I'm happy to hear he finally signed a deal with Sanctuary and he's finally recording after like 40 years.
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... id=1907359
So, Elvis will have a new record, Frank Black on September, and Moz soon, couldn't ask for more. :D

BTW, I've decided to change my avatar. Although I'm not a veggie (I've tried, but no results) it seems to fit.

EDIT: Just read at http://www.morrissey-solo.com that the documentary has been uploaded on Kazaa.
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

With Moz fanatics all over the world, that doesn't surprise me a bit. Hope you can get to see it, IH, it's well worth it. I've been feeling happy all day as a result. There were so many great quotes. One of the very best:

Australian woman who won a competition to meet Moz years ago but never availed as he hadn't been there for 12 years or so: You've made me and so many people so happy. [or words to that effect]

Moz: I didn't mean to!

Just brilliant.

The accent is curious, and you're quite right, BunPet, it is quite Irish-sounding now (my Irish wife agreed). Like Elvis ditching the Mockney for the Scouse, Moz has returned to his oral roots, except that he didn't live there when young. One of the new songs he'll be recording (hooray!) is 'Irish heart, English Blood'. Should be good.

So that was Nina! Wow, I should have known that. Don't think I've ever heard that. Must get the 'Good Year For The Roses' original recordings LP which contains this and others.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Moz has returned to his oral roots, except that he didn't live there when young

The Mozter actually is in Dublin as we speak, either doing demos or recording his new album. He's here quite a lot, I nearly collided with him last summer going into the Irish Film Centre. That photographer in the documentary is right, you do recognise him immediately from the shape of his head. Funnily enough, in all his years living here, I never once saw EC in a similiar manner.
grliegrl21

Post by grliegrl21 »

Thanks for the info on this show. I am simply dying to see it and will try to find it on Kazaa tonight. I got to see him last year during his U.S. tour and he was wonderful as always. I think he is one of those people you either love or hate. It's so refreshing to know somewhere in the universe a Morrissey documentary was shown. It's just too bad it wasn't in the US!
Crescent Fresh.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I just received the June issue of Word yesterday, with Morrissey on the cover and a long interview with photos inside. Sounds very similar to the documentary. Good stuff.

I heard a couple of recent tracks on a BBC radio program and liked them a lot -- will be interesting to hear a whole album of new material.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Is he still holding grudges like lonely high court judges?
Otis Westinghouse

More of them, even. The editing was a bit wicked on this front: they followed his exceptionally bitter wishing Mike Joyce every sort of horribleness with aa clip of The More You... with that very line kicking it off. Ouch! His friend, with many moments in the show, said he loves noithing more than to play character assassination for fun, as we saw with Elton J and, ahem, David B. Did you get it on Kazaa grliegrl21? You're obviously a big fan. Glad you aw him laast year. Care to tell us more?