Ron Sexsmith

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
PoeFaced

Re: Ron Sexsmith

Post by PoeFaced »

Hi- have lurked here from time to time but never posted before. As a student of Poe I had to mention this when I read this thread:

We stand upon the brink of a precipice. We peer into the abyss – we grow sick and dizzy. Our first impulse is to shrink from the danger. Unaccountably we remain. By slow degrees our sickness, and dizziness, and horror, become merged in a cloud of unnameable feeling. ... It is merely the idea of what would be our sensations during the sweeping precipitancy of a fall from such a height. And this fall – this rushing annihilation – for the very reason that it involves that one most ghastly and loathsome of all the most ghastly and loathsome images of death and suffering which have ever presented themselves to our imagination – for this very cause do we now the most vividly desire it. And because our reason violently deters us from the brink, therefore, do we the more impetuously approach it. There is no passion in nature so demoniacally impatient, as that of him, who shuddering upon the edge of a precipice, thus meditates a plunge. To indulge for a moment, in any attempt at thought, is to be inevitably lost; for reflection but urges us to forbear, and therefore it is, I say, that we cannot. If there be no friendly arm to check us, or if we fail in a sudden effort to prostrate ourselves backward from the abyss, we plunge, and are destroyed.

See: http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/gsr/impperve.htm
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Welcome and thank you. Nicely put, Mr Poe. The Imp of the Perverse - what a wonderful title.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And why not?
It would be like telling everyone about the dream you had last night. And other reasons that occur to me later, like that you might know you're ok in making that much of it but on the face of it nobody else does, so you leave them having to deal with that.

It's easy for Ron to get away with it, he is an artiste.
Otis Westinghouse

I don't see it as a big deal (not quite sure I follow your thinking). It was an interesting explanation and it seemed worthwhile commenting on the shared experience, and it was interesting that WSS related too. And the Poe quote was good.

One dimension of this that struck me was how the title relates directly to current news and war, yet the explanation has no connection with that. It seems to create an ironic contrast that seems more poignant having read his words.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

That's right, they're no big deal. And it's no big deal that I wouldn't talk about one like that, either. But you asked! It's not that I don't have weird or illogical or strange (I wouldn't even call them irrational, it's not like they're reasoned out at all, you just have them) fleeting feelings or fantasies, they flow in from the ether all the time and entertain the brain frequently. If anything is irrational it's talking about it after you've had a chance to think about it! I mean, there are a lot of interesting and worthwhile things to share that wouldn't lead to possible confusion making people wonder whether you might actually have an urge to jump from a bridge or in front of a train.
Otis Westinghouse

They were reviewing the new 'Man On Wire' docu film on the telly this evening. The Guardian gave it 5 stars and the TV review was positive too. The French pickpocket man who tightrope walked between the Twin Towers in their infancy. They described him as a raving egotist, but one thing that grabbed me was a moment from the film where you look down on the wire as if from his pov, the ground impossibly far below you, and he described that first step onto the wire and how it could so easily be a step into his own death. It's a very intense illustration of the proximity of death in life, but it's there every day all around us, every time I cycle across town to work, etc. I have no intention to top myself, no macabre deathwish, my Ian Curtis inspired fascination with suicide is now long in the past, but always in these ESOTS of the moments there's some subconscious element of the mind saying 'What would it be like?'
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's a very intense illustration of the proximity of death in life, but it's there every day all around us, every time I cycle across town to work, etc.

...or just the proximity of a possibility you know you won't allow yourself to accept. I can relate to the above example, sometimes wanting to just zoom into another lane on my motorcycle without looking over my shoulder, as highly improbable that there's anyone there, but I just can't let myself do it. Growing up, there was a saltwater olympic pool I'd go to with a large 12' deep section where you dive off the blocks and I'd dive to the dark bottom and imagine I could sit there forever and ponder the world outside, before having to go up for breath. Also, I often imagine severely violating accepted social codes of behaviour at the most inappropriate moments sometimes, like interjecting with rude comments when someone is making a heartfelt speech or something. Wanna hear about my most recent interesting dream? :D
Otis Westinghouse

Only if it's postable in the 'Relatively insignificant EC stuff' thread.

Just as well you don't go changing lanes on your motorbike without looking, you don't want to go actively encouraging the proximity of death. Statistically you and I are just closer to it than our four-wheeled co-road users.

Today I was imagining a not-so-distant scenario where cyclists are venerated for choosing to travel with 0 carbon footprint, and instead of the selfish bastard attitude where they'll cut you up and be disturbingly close to knocking you off every few seconds, they're actually braking and gesturing in your favour every inch of the way, as if to say 'We are so sorry for filthing the world up when we should be cycling like you, let us atone in the smallest way by making your ride as pain free as possible.' It was a bit like Ron and his train track or bridge - the thought of it sucks you in, but you know it will never happen.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Just back from Rons long overdue return to Whelans, and just like the many shows he's done there over the years, it was great. Not quite packed, probably about 90%, it was comfortable. Great sound and atmosphere, Ron was in good form. Judge for yourself, since I managed to get a few songs on my digital camera from down the back. Here's

Gold In Them Hills.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gttO2aMtUxA
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely. His voice sounds as sublime as ever, not to mention his guitar playing. Was it a full band show? Here he's just with his regular touring bassist Jason Mercer, it wasn't just a two-hander was it?

Can you post all the others you got, Martin? the image is a little wobbly but the sound's dead good!

I have to admit for the first time in years that I'm not getting off my ass to see him on a UK tour. He's playing the Scala in London on Sunday. I've used up my gig quota with other things, Christmas is coming, etc. And Exit Strat hasn't been the most memorable of his recent CDs. BUT BUT BUT I've just noticed he plays Madrid on Dec 2 and I just happen to be flying into Madrid that very evening... fingers crossed I can get the timing to work!!!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's Reason For Our Love

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sd8vDyqGBQ

Just Ron & Jason, do try and see him in Madrid. Some of the 'Exit songs were the only ones I didn't recognize, though they did strike me as better in the stripped down arrangement than the overcooked versions on the cd.

Feel free to check out my other clips, http://ie.youtube.com/user/martinlfoyle . I'm new to this lark, I hope to get better.
Otis Westinghouse

Excellent, will check out. I did not you'd loaded Holy Fuck too!

Saw a post from him on his site saying it was drummerless but his other touring band staple, excellent guitarist Tim Bocavonti would be touring with him. It said he hoped to have a drummer for London (just there? why not other UK/Ireland gigs? just a local mate who'll help out, perhaps? I could have done it for nothing!), but also Tim wouldn't be there. Odd. He did comment to his pathetically half-filled Junction in Cambridge audience that it wasn't really viable for him to bring a band to these smaller places. It's a sad thing. Look forward to hearing the new songs live. My flight should be in 20.40 and as gigs are normally late in Madrid, 22.00+, I should have a good chance of getting in there. Great way to start off a visit there!

Bamboo: I do find Martha sexy, I won't deny, but more than that I go and see her as she has one of the best voices going and live it's a real treat. I do believe it's a moral imperative for you to be present. It will make a better person of you.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's

Disappearing Act & Secret Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9B0C_uve8c
Otis Westinghouse

martinfoyle wrote:Just Ron & Jason, do try and see him in Madrid. Some of the 'Exit songs were the only ones I didn't recognize, though they did strike me as better in the stripped down arrangement than the overcooked versions on the cd.
Got my ticket for Madrid! Flight gets in at 20.40, but the great news is Madrid being the insanely late town it is, Ron isn't performing till 23.00. Barring any mad plane delay, I'll make it for the whole gig easily. It will be my first gig there since I lived there in 1991! I can't wait.

Enjoyed your clips (found Reason For Our Love too). None of ESOTS to add? Do you know if he played Travelling Alone or Chased By Love? Those are two I'd like to hear.
Otis Westinghouse

http://daytrotter.com/article/1575/ron-sexsmith

Four tracks from ESotS live in nice stripped down versions. Chased By Love is a personal fave.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

I just heard an interview with Nikki Yanofsky in which she said she's writing material with Ron for her next album.

If you haven't heard this kid - check out the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSr0UzL ... re=related
I remember seeing her at the Montreal Jazz Fest when she was just 12 and had everyone spellbound - I just hope she keeps her feet on the ground.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I'm just listening to a leaked copy of Ron Sexsmith's new album, Long Player Late Bloomer, and I'm loving it immensely.
Musically-wise it sounds like his happiest record to date.
If there's any justice, this should finally be his commercial breakthrough.
Simply can't get enough of it at the moment and can't wait for the proper release.
Here's the official lyric video and the cover of the new album.

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you for sharing that. Has truly whetted my appetite. Like you, can only hope he gets a firm hold of the 'brass ring' as referenced in the lyric with this release.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

I suspect that despite the above and the big league producer, it will still be ignored by reviewers and sell to the converted. Who cares? (Apart from Ron, and me cos it means he won't play in Cambridge with a full band again.) What the world needs now is a new RS album. Every one to date has had at least one song and often several that you would willing hear on your death bed, with several contenders for your last ever song ('In a Flash', for example, though maybe that's more for someone else's funeral, perhaps 'Still Time' would be suitably ironic). Simply can't wait to have this and to see him at the Barbican in April. I got the email saying you could listen to it via Facebook, but I'm holding out as ever for the artefact.
Otis Westinghouse

Opening track of the album called 'Get In Line' on the current Word mag sampler. Yet another Ron classic opener. He's done so many. Lyrical sentiment is 'if you want to ruin my day, join the queue' (as I would say it, 'get in line' as he does).

Jaunty and lovely, and yes the production is very classy.
Otis Westinghouse

As well as this gem:

There's also EC bigging up RS, though describing him as a man out of time!:

(This is from the Love Shines docufilm about ROn, which I'm dying to see.)

And Slow Drag WIth Josephine. Nice:
Otis Westinghouse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/fe ... yer-review

"Sexsmith's music just gets better, and his 12th album actually sounds eerily close to a classic Costello: immaculately well-observed songs delivered with sincerity and panache"
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Hope there'll be more rave reviews. He deserves them.

"Get In Line" now plays on Polish Radio 3.
Fantastic !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis - dreams do come true...

On Friday 4th March on BBC4 at 9pm is Ron Sexsmith: Love Shines followed by Songwriters' Circle which includes Fran Healy, Graham Gouldman and Ron Sexsmith.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Yep. Gonna get a videotape (yes!) out especially for the occasion. Read comments by someone on ronsexsmith.com who was there for the second part and says Gouldman was rather condescending towards Ron. If so, wanker. Love Shines got good responses at the Toronto Film Festival. Making the new LP and older concert footage, etc.

They're also showing a Gordon Lightfoot show after these two, obviously due to Ron's appreciation of him. I don't really know his stuff but was checking out on spotify, can't see a huge link, whereas Tim Hardin sounds every bit Ron's mentor. Lloyd Cole always includes Reason to Believe or one or two others of Hardin's in his setlist, but the voice is just very similar to Ron, who apparently only learned of him once his career was underway.

Also on the above site was a lovely exchange between a Mexican fan trying to puzzle out the complexities of the marvellous Snow Angel from Time Being when Ron himself intervened to explain it was about a suicide following an affair. The fan was bowled over. 'Wow, are you the real Ron S?' Gotta love the internet.