What's Joe Jackson like?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
LessThanZero

What's Joe Jackson like?

Post by LessThanZero »

You are all so smart.

I don't have any money, so what is the ONE joe jackson cd I should buy?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Well, depends on how much you can scrounge...

If you speak to your local CD purveyor, "Steppin' Out--The Best of Joe Jackson" can be special-ordered...I paid $24.99 U.S. This covers most of his career, up until this year's release: "Joe Jackson Band-Volume 4", which is a KICK-ASS album in it's own right, I paid $14.99 for the disc, which has a mere 11 cuts, but, in my case, also included a bonus "Live" CD (recorded in September, 2002), featuring 6 of his older (and these are spectacular) songs:

"One More Time"
"Is She Really Going Out With Him"
"On the Radio"
"Got the Time"
"It's Different for Girls"
"I'm the Man"

I'm just becoming a re-convert myself, "Steppin' Out" is a 2 CD, 38 song set, timing out at somewhere in the vicinity of 144 minutes (or 2 hours, 24 minutes). It's worth saving up for.

Love--
the sulky one

8)

As to, "What's he like?", well that's hard to explain. He's got a funny, ironic & vitriolic sense of humor (much like E.C.), is also a classically trained musician (I seem to remember reading somewhere about him being a "fellow of arts" at a London Music academy), a FANTASTIC pianist, & he writes some downright catchy tunes. He emerged onto the music scene at roughly about the same time as E.C., but did much better commercially. "Volume 4" is a return to early form, with the same band he recorded his first 3 albums with (together again, after 20 some odd years!) So, I recommend both of the above selections highly..."Steppin' Out" because it contains the signature cuts from his entire back catalog, & "Volume 4" for sheer good-time music. 3 cuts on the "Volume 4" CD are love/love lost type ballads, but the rest really gets me be-bopping around in my car seat (my 15-year old hides his face in shame when he has to cruise around town with Mom).

Good luck, & enjoy!!
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

[quote="sulkygirl"]Well, depends on how much you can scrounge...

"One More Time"
"Is She Really Going Out With Him"
"On the Radio"
"Got the Time"
"It's Different for Girls"
"I'm the Man"

Sulky, are these songs on Steppin Out too??

Thank you SO much!!!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I highly recommend Joe Jackson Live 1980-86. It's got all his hits plus three different versions of 'Is She Really Going Out With Him' which are all great.

It goes from his punk days (I'm The Man, Beat Crazy) to his more mellower days (Real Men, Steping Out)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

His new album has had some grreat reviews, although I haven't heard it myself.

Otherwise, i'd recommend:

Look Sharp
I'm the Man
Laughter and Lust

All great albums - the first two are new wave classics
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

His newest album, Volume 4 is very good. He's back with his old band and they sound raw and edgy. I recently bought this one for my husband, a long time Joe Jackson fan, and he's hardly stopped listening to it since.

Just one Joe Jackson cd - when you don't know much about him? I guess I would say, Joe Jackson - The Collection - 18 tracks. Hits like Steppin' Out, Is She Really Ging Out With Him?, and one of my personal favorites, Be My Number Two.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

So what's better? The collection or The best of?
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

LessThanZero wrote:So what's better? The collection or The best of?
Again, we're talking price (and yes, all of those songs are on "Steppin' Out")...As I mentioned, "Steppin' Out" has 38 tunes, have yet to check out "The Collection", is probably cheaper than the $24.99 for "Steppin' Out"...

8)
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

you guys are SO GREAT!

THANK YOU!!

Maybe i'll buy it tomorrow....
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I am a Joe Jackson fan, but my hero worship is somewhat tarnished by the fact that someone on the old board said he dresses up in womens clothing and hangs around in nightclubs! Are all those sad love songs for men only then or does it or he swing both ways guys? :shock:

By the way LTZ if that picture is you then you are soooo cute! Are you still as cute now you are 'All grown up' ? :wink:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
IStandAccused

Joe's sexual preference

Post by IStandAccused »

~~Gilli, you are right! He does date a transexual as well. Very pretty I might add. He used to love to go to the party called "Sueezebox" in NYC before it ceased to exist. I saw him there. He seems very nice too.
Gillibeanz wrote:I am a Joe Jackson fan, but my hero worship is somewhat tarnished by the fact that someone on the old board said he dresses up in womens clothing and hangs around in nightclubs! Are all those sad love songs for men only then or does it or he swing both ways guys? :shock:

By the way LTZ if that picture is you then you are soooo cute! Are you still as cute now you are 'All grown up' ? :wink:
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

If you listen to his new cd, Volume 4, you can tell by some of the songs that he is gay. But who really cares? It's like listening to Elton John. You know all those love songs are for another guy, but if it gets you in the mood when you listen to it, does it really matter? :wink:

Good music is good music.
bambooneedle

Re: Joe's sexual preference

Post by bambooneedle »

IStandAccused wrote:~~Gilli, you are right! He does date a transexual as well. Very pretty I might add.
Is she really going out with him?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Is she really gonna to take him home tonight??
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me there's something going wrong around here

around here

:)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Look over there...where?....there goes Joey with his new boyfriend.... :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

oh, he's gay? cool!

is the transsexual he's going out with a transman or transwoman? post-op, i'm guessing. i think that might be TMI.

huh. the things you learn...
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Well....gay or not, I already ordered his, err, ok, his "The Collection" at a cd store here in kalamazoo. I had to ORDER Ray Charles too! They had NOTHING there! Sometimes I wish I lived in Chicago or something so I could buy any albums I wanted whenever I wanted.

ah well.

Gilli, GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK!!!!
Yes, that avatar was me in kindergarten....I kind of had a John Lennon/Corey Feldmen thing going...it worked for me. :)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

LTZ - thank you - its good to be here! You will love JJ's album. And you didnt answer my question....are you still as cute? :wink:

I think we should have a rogues gallery here - i like to picture who im talking to...makes it more personal!. My photo I posted on the other board was about 4 years old. Im willing to risk posting a recent one if you lot are brave enough to view!! :twisted:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Gilli, that's the latest picture of me I have online...maybe I could get my grandpa (who has a scanner) to email me a more recent one, since I'm 22 now...

Yes, I am still cute. I was a little cuter 20 months ago, but then I fell in love. 50 pounds later, I'm still cute, just with a man body of 210....ok 215.

But aren't we all a little heavier but still cute??? anyone?? :lol:
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

And on a sadder, but related note, my girlfriend has started taking me to the gym...

tell me when I got the sickness... :?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

You got it the day you fell in love with your fiancee. :lol:

We all do things for love. You should know that by listening to Elvis. :)

Tell her you'll keep going to the gym if she'll listen to more Elvis. Seems fair.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I'm just in from a Joe Jackson gig and it was great. As with the latest album, he's backed by the original band and it was great fun, sang everything you wanted to hear as well as Bowie's "Life on Mars". I might post some MP3's. I have to admit the gay/bi/curious thing is news to me considering he wrote the lonely guy's anthem "Is She Really Going Out With Him?". Not that there's anything wrong with that kind of thing.

DrJ
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

So, what you don't spend on cd's you spend on concerts, right DrJ? :D

What a life. :)
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

I guess ya'all just answered my question for me...

I've noticed all of the "gay" & "fag" references in his music, but I could never really tell if he actually IS gay, or vehemently opposed to gays. I have heard several references to "my friend & me" ("Slow Song"), but I just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for the enlightenment...I think.

:?