What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by bambooneedle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Hi bambooneedle

It's always great to know you're still around.

This is the Bruce Springsteen set I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-19 ... B0182RI9A0
Thanks for the kind words. Looks enticing yet I'm not ready to bring on another Bruce phase until he makes an inspiring enough new record, which by the looks of things will likely never happen. I hear he will be playing The River in its entirety now on a new tour (plus some extra stuff.... whoa, bonus!! (being sarcastic)... wonder hw much he's milking his hardcore obsessive sucker fans for that? who the hell is he trying to please? I just cannot believe that he really would sincerely be excited by the prospect artistically at all.

Come on Bruce, write a proper fucking record. Write about something challenging. Question your sexuality or something.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is what I miss from you!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

The Complete Them- The Legacy edition released late in 2015. Garage rock at its most elemental and archetypes for the career of the band's lead singer and for too many other bands that followed.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

I'm listening to Bruce Springsteen Live at the Agora Cleveland 9th August 1978. It's a fantastic show. The talk introducing Growing Up had me belly laughing.
Jack of All Parades

"After Bathing at Baxter's- a refreshing blast of Sixties populism with sounds and chords that have never tired after repeated playing's- one of the first records I owned as a kid.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

A new Liverpudlian singer called Louis Berry.

Elvis - if you or your people are reading this then check him out on Spotify.
Jack of All Parades

"The Ghosts of Highway 20"- Lucinda Williams-death is becoming a cottage industry for boomers but the songs on this new record put a languid spin on its inevitability-the allure of 'being in love with half- easeful death' that is sonically enhanced by the dual channel guitar entwining of Greg Leisz and the masterful Bill Frisell. I have not heard such interplay since Allman and Clapton decades ago. A master class in musicianship is being conducted on this record.
Jack of All Parades

In honor of Mr. Isbell's latest triumph from a few nights ago, a show given earlier this year in Amsterdam, Holland. Unfortunately the sound is not synced properly to the video......

https://youtu.be/bKFj5TfYp8M
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I just received an iTunes card so I downloaded All Things Must Pass.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

"Jimmy Smith's House Party"- in particular the cut- Charlie Parker's "Au Privave" featuring Lou Donaldson, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan and Kenny Burrell. The Hammond B3 has rarely sounded so commanding to my ears.........

https://youtu.be/ibRLr8o2Rb4
verbal gymnastics

Off the wall - Michael Jackson

I'm currently revisiting a whole load of older albums.
Jack of All Parades

Anthology[both discs] for Emmylou Harris and her Warner Brother/Reprise years- in particular the songs that feature her friend Rodney Crowell and the other members of the old TCB band- good times and memories in the cube today.
Jack of All Parades

Fresh in the cube today- the reunion album from Difford and Tilbrook as Squeeze from last year- "Cradle to the Grave"--first impressions eminently re-listenable. Concept record of sorts as a life span is covered- musings on aging, regrets, missed opportunities, time's relentless passage. One is quickly reminded of the beautiful harmonies and facile turns of phrase and perfect story details within their songs. I am happy that they are back working together and making music.
Jack of All Parades

In the cube today "The Best of Rufus Wainwright - Vibrate" a two disc set that came out in 2014. Reacquainting myself with some of the more exotic one offs he has done over the years. Rufus is an acquired taste, perhaps, but I have grown to appreciate his sensibility and musical skills since he appeared back in 1998. He can do a mean cover and his 'campy' side can be off-putting but his melodies are often intricate and fun to follow. I will be curious to hear the results of his putting Shakespeare sonnets to song later this month when his new album is released. If it as good as Iris DeMent's last record putting Ahkmatova lyrics to song, it should be worth a listen or two.
verbal gymnastics

I am just about to start on the 6CD edition of the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Volume 12 Cutting Edge, and I can't wait. It arrived today.

Good old eBay!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Some classic Guns N' Roses. Axl has reconciled with Slash now, you know.
Jack of All Parades

I picked up the reunion album of the original Santana lineup yesterday on its first day out in the stores. Their first album was the first album I ever purchased back in 1969. I still cannot get enough of those infectious grooves and the new album catches at times that same infectious quality[it could have used some judicious editing]. Make up your own mind......

https://youtu.be/pn0Iqb94iQE
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Case/Lang/Veirs. Holy trinity of female talent. I've been into all 3 over the years, but chiefly Laura V in recent years whose July Flame album from c. 6 years back is a cracker. Just listened to three off the album on YouTube and it's all great. Hope they tour in Europe.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

When news of their collaboration filtered down to me I admit I was excited by the prospect. This initial song from the forthcoming album has whet my appetite further..

https://youtu.be/1rq-AHTFxOU

I hope they get to your neck of the woods, Otis. A few close by dates this summer near me- I am going to have to find a way to get to one of them.....
Jack of All Parades

I have been listening to the new Paul Simon album "Stranger to Stranger". What a late life run he has been on. He seems so comfortable in his skin these days. This one is shaping up to potentially be my favorite record of the year with some competition coming from the new Sturgil Simpson record......

https://youtu.be/SY6PrFvZ0-Q

one more from the new record-

https://youtu.be/KPqxGrK9j5w
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

No one here listening to PJ Harvey's "Hope Six Demolition Project?" There is, to my ear, a dip in quality about 1/3 of the way in, but after 2-3 duds it gets back on course, piling powerful song upon powerful song and, by the end, leaving you agog with its sonic and lyrical force. She's not always an easy listen, but is always an interesting one, and she's in top form here.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

All weekend I listened to 'old timey' music. On Saturday I listened to all three discs of Harry Smith's box set Anthology of Folk Music. On Sunday, I listened to Hal Wilner's two CD set The Harry Smith Project.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

A little treat I found the other day for Ms. Lisa- a date recorded back in 1965 at Ronnie Scott's....

https://youtu.be/WjQUpQXAq80
Jack of All Parades

From Mr. Prine's new duet album out on 9/30 with Ms. Dement....

https://youtu.be/uEqJ9caPuI0
Jack of All Parades

My niece, Shaye Cohn, and her band mate, Erica Lewis, from Tuba Skinny, have a side project, The Lonesome Doves. They have their first record out with this group and I really believe they deserve a wider audience-have a listen......

https://thelonesomedoves.bandcamp.com/a ... -for-stars