What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah, what happened to the punk ska? Nice to see you here, near stranger!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A thursday in the cube and yet more Dexter Gordon. This time a date from 1965 on Blue Note that was cut during a brief return to the States while in his extended European refugee situation. This one features Freddie Hubbard on trumpet and Barry Harris on piano with Bob Cranshaw on bass and Billy Higgins on drums. Nothing stellar here but I am really enjoying Dexter's bedroom tone workout of "I'm a Fool to Want You" with some able moaning offered by Mr. Hubbard.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7178,d.cWc

When you combine it with Gordon's own opening number "Hanky Panky" you have a pretty damn good one two punch to open the session. Either way it is helping to pass the time in the cube.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Moments from this theatre - Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham.

I'm finding it hard to get past the opening track, I'm your puppet.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

A quiet Monday within the Cube and yet more time spent in the company of Dexter Gordon. This time it is June of 1972 and Dexter is freshly back stateside following a long stint in Copenhagen. He gets a chance to cut some sides with Prestige and this one is called Tangerine-and it is as sweet and earthy as the fruit it is named for on the cover of the CD because it features a relatively unique combination on four of the five tracks- the Brothers Jones-Hank on piano and Thad on flugelhorn. A young Stanley Clarke on bass and Louis Hayes on drums round out the group for this record. It is the interplay between the Jones brothers and Dexter though that shines. They are playful and rambunctious and the sound is infectious. It makes the bonus track-"the Group" which features Freddie Hubbard on Trumpet almost superfluous.

Here is "What it Was" from the session:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7178,d.cWc
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

One of my early heroes is getting an appropriate reassessment shortly:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs ... s-20140109
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I'll probably buy this...

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2014/1/Firs ... High-Hopes

I swear I can hear a Tom Waits influence on some of these cuts. Strange but true. Or maybe I just hear Tom Waits everywhere (you could do worse! :mrgreen: )
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Poor Deportee wrote:I'll probably buy this...

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2014/1/Firs ... High-Hopes

I swear I can hear a Tom Waits influence on some of these cuts. Strange but true. Or maybe I just hear Tom Waits everywhere (you could do worse! :mrgreen: )
Got it and first listens have me mixed in my take- will have to digest further.

While purusing the bins though as I purchased the Springsteen I found a real treat which has made my afternoon in the cube most passable. "Le Bing: Song Hits of Paris" as sung by none other than Bing Crosby. It seems his estate in honor of the 100th anniversary of his birth has released several deluxe cds in late 2013- this one amongst them. Pretty much sung in French, these are great old chansons that benefit greatly from his warm Tenor. A real pleasant surprise and only $7.00. It is over an hours worth of music including clips from his old radio show in the Fifties. Not bad for a spur of the moment purchase. It also helps to affirm those who say his voice is one of all the time greats- he also exhibits an easy humor in his between song banter. The store also had a copy of "Bing Sings the Johnny Mercer Songbook" for which I am going to have to go back and purchase. 8)

http://youtu.be/rBfx43MSrtY

http://youtu.be/qk0qscBOMgo
Jack of All Parades

AM by the Arctic Monkeys. I bought this months ago but have only recently gotten around to really listening. I wish I had started earlier it is that good. It easily equals the peaks I found in their first record and it seemingly takes them into territory sonically and thematically that is new for them. I am enjoying the funkiness of the guitar lines and the sultry drumming. Alex Turner has turned into a lyricist of choice phrases linked by catchy refrains. His vocal delivery is both 'wolfish' and slinky as he evicerates the world of modern dating and male/female relations. The best track is "No. 1 Party Anthem" but I am also partial to the opener "Do I Wanna Know" with its poignant questioning tone and "Knee Socks" which is just plain sexy. This is a very good record. 8)

I think a few tumbleweeds just blew by.......
Jack of All Parades

High Hopes Bruce Springsteen. I have really been trying to warm to this record in its entirety, but I am finding that difficult. Lacking the usual thematic cohesiveness of many of his records- it scatters its particular pleasures amongst alot of dross for my ears. Its first half leans heavily towards bombast and overthetop guitar hystrionics by Tom Morello. The second half thankfully leans towards real passion and rediscovery of some older tracks. The songs that failed to make the cut back when The Rising was recorded probably did not need to see an official release. That said I find "Down in the Hole" better than average as its verses recount a widow/widower dealing with the aftermath of a major tragedy. The power hooks of "Frankie Fell in Love" would have a prideful place in a stadium show when he and his band are looking to rev up the crowd. In the end though there is too much 'bombast' Bruce for my taste and precious little of the subtler nuanced observer of human folly and characters on this record. When he does go the way of softly voiced and carefully drawn lines he hits me hard like in the beautifully realized drama of "Hunter of Invisible Game" as it explores human lust through the refraction of a mythic template and the reworking of "The Ghost of Tom Joad" for which Morello offers some downright righteous fire power in the guitar lines.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

No tumbleweeds on my screen! I appreciate the reviews, Chris. Unfortunately your review of HH suggests that it's heavy on Springsteen's Evil Twin Bruuuuuuce!!! - the one I don't like. I might buy it anyway just to hear for myself, because when he IS on he's definitely worth heeding, but any optimism I may have had is now checked. As for the Monkeys, they never really came out from under the mustard stains on my personal radar, but your little review makes me want to check 'em out more properly. Thanks.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Retrospective: The Best of Suzanne Vega, which reminds what a great songwriter she is, and makes me want to check out her new album, out this month.

On EC-related note, I've forgotten Bruce Thomas and Pete Thomas played on a couple of Suzanne's albums in the 90s.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

I have been enjoying these two new Elbow songs from their forthcoming new Album that is set to be released on Tuesday, March 4th, here. As usual they deliver the 'goods' and even my wife has taken notice of them as the song "New York Morning" is getting solid air play on the local radio station WDST and she loves the melody:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5928,d.dmQ
verbal gymnastics

AM is a great album and I agree it is their best since their terrific debut. If you also like Franz Ferdi and have been disappointed with their last 2 albums I would recommend you buy their latest.

I'm currently listening to Wise Up Thought and wishing I'd saved my money. Very disappointing.
Jack of All Parades

VG- the quality of AM took me by great surprise considering the bland drift the band had been in with the preceeding few records. Somebody grabbed them by the scruff of their necks and shook them awake creatively. It is also some fine dancing music as I am certain you can attest. I have been enjoying it for months now. I am not familiar with the Ferdinand band but based upon your rec I will check it out on Spotify.

I felt no need to own the remix secondary release. I have never been the biggest fan of urban music and beats so I am glad I passed expecially now that you have weighed in with your dislike for the record.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Not sure if there are any Eels fans on the forum, but a new album called 'The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett' is out soon and if you like their more introspective side, check out this lovely new song.

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
hatman

Post by hatman »

Solid Potato Salad
Jack of All Parades

This band led by a former protege of Van Morrison provides my song for the day. Mr. Hunter, along with Nick Lowe, is one of those 'small' musical wonders that England has provided consistently for decades. James Brown is alive and well.....

http://youtu.be/CK71zjFc_yw
Jack of All Parades

It is always exciting, an aural rush, when a new band or sound or singer comes into one's ken. Such is the case with this band, Lake Street Dive, and this singer, Rachel Price. My local station WFUV first made me aware of them. They have the chops, the fresh hooks and a singer with one power house voice to make one sit up and take notice. Their new record Bad Self Portraits is outstanding and its retro sound refreshes the Muscle Shoals sound of my youth. The title song is a playful switchup on the self help tendencies too many fall prey too these days. They are also Boston based so that cinches it for me. Have a listen:

http://youtu.be/0LhsE-uqqE0

http://youtu.be/nCHiB1IymBQ
Jack of All Parades

Happy Birthday -Mr. Davis- 5/26/1926. Perhaps some of the sublimest usage of a mute ever committed to vinyl and the beautiful comping chords of Red Garland as back up- one of my all time favorite records - a desert island disc for me and it kicks off with the exquisite "If I Were a Bell":

http://youtu.be/6vNreXKw2Qw
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

There's a new Jill Barber album out. 'nuff said. :wink:
Jack of All Parades

Poor Deportee wrote:There's a new Jill Barber album out. 'nuff said. :wink:

This woman has the 'goods'-criminal shame there is not a stronger clamor for her south of the 49th:

http://youtu.be/ikFDpYcAkRs
verbal gymnastics

I picked up 5 very cheap compilation albums and am merrily listening to the sweet sounds of

Diana Ross & The Supremes
Otis Redding
The Temptations
Dionne Warwick and
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.
Jack of All Parades

verbal gymnastics wrote:I picked up 5 very cheap compilation albums and am merrily listening to the sweet sounds of

Diana Ross & The Supremes
Otis Redding
The Temptations
Dionne Warwick and
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.
Sweet 8)
verbal gymnastics

Kin - Larkin Poe

Album of the year for me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

out all ready? I thought they said 6 months!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.