Elvis' christening church - 'For Sale'

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis' christening church - 'For Sale'

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis writes in his journal -

http://www.elviscostello.com/web/guest/ ... urce=30745

Having been christened at the church of Holy Cross, in the North End of Birkenhead

With a morning to kill in Liverpool this week , I decided that a visit to Elvis' christening church might be an interesting side track on the Elvis Costello Heritage Trail.

Getting of the Metro at Birkenhead North station , I followed the Hoylake Road looking for the bulding. Maybe, I wondered as I made my way through heavy rain, I might be able spoof my way into the sacristy and have a look at the records.

This was not to be - the Church is no longer a church - it's for sale.

http://www.smithandsons.net/property_de ... ion&title=

Auction: Lot No 13
HOLY CROSS CHURCH & PRESBYTERY, HOYLAKE RD, BIRKENHEAD
Address: HOLY CROSS CHURCH & PRESBYTERY, HOYLAKE RD, BIRKENHEAD

It looks very modern for a building that Elvis would have been christened in the 1950's. The description does mention it is 'a Grade II listed building and provides a wealth of interior and architectural features' so perhaps it was new at the time.

The sign mentions a April '08 sale date but it seems to be still on the market.

The area around it is wild -

There are shops across the road -

Up the road is this pretty garden -

....and a shop with some very fetching items -

And that was when I realised that enough was enough , and I made my way , soaked to the skin, back to the building site that is Liverpool central.
krm

Re: Elvis' christening church - 'For Sale'

Post by krm »

I must say it. I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.I must say it.

GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pheeeeeeew. that felt good

(I once drove one hour to Bengtsfors Folkets Park, cause he played there in 1978...........withy three completely non understanding kids......)
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

I don't know, I think some one in the group should buy it ! A worthy piece of memorabilia , that might eventually increase in value unlike most other items . An Elvis museum ?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Thanks as usual to John for his perseverance in bringing to our attention more of Elvis' past.

The church and presbytery are still showing as "available" on the Auctioneer's website. The guide price of £290,000.00 - £325,000.00 may have something to do with this.

The more logical outcome would be for EC himself to buy the church and to install someone to look after it for him.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I visited the site again today . The building is still unused.

However, information at this site, that is new to me , says it was opened in 1959, years after Elvis's christening.

https://taking-stock.org.uk/building/bi ... oly-cross/

(extract)

'The parish of Holy Cross was formed in 1928 with the increasing transfer of population from the central and docks areas of Birkenhead to the North End. Mass was first said in the Catholic chapel at Flaybrick Cemetery on the slopes of Bidston Hill. In 1929 a semi-permanent church was erected with use of voluntary labour, to be followed by a school in 1931.'

So it seems that Elvis was christened in a church in Flaybrick Cemetery.

However.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaybri ... al_Gardens
(extract)

The cemetery was officially opened 30 May 1864 and named Birkenhead Cemetery, and the site originally had three separate denominational chapels. The Roman Catholic chapel was demolished in 1971 and a memorial wall has been erected on its site. 
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Man out of Time wrote:Thanks as usual to John for his perseverance in bringing to our attention more of Elvis' past.

The church and presbytery are still showing as "available" on the Auctioneer's website. The guide price of £290,000.00 - £325,000.00 may have something to do with this.

The more logical outcome would be for EC himself to buy the church and to install someone to look after it for him.

MOOT
He just needs a couple of curators ( and John and MOoT would be perfect - if we could drag them from their respective capitals!)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Lots of times as churches are combined, the baptismal and all sacramental records are then a part of the new or existing parish. These matters are of utmost import and not taken lightly. So, it can indeed be the name of the church at his christening is indeed alternately named currently.