Anyone here going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Police , Ottawa May 1

Post by johnfoyle »

No one ?!!?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I would go, but it's a long way just to leave after the support band.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Blog review:
Speaking of John Fogerty, he and Elvis Costello have something very much in common. They are two of the only music legends in history where their most popular songs are also their best songs. Most bands would say that certain album tracks that never became hits were their best. Most music people would argue that Exile On Main Street was the best Stones album, although it produced no monster singles. But Fogerty was a hit machine, and his concert at Scotiabank smoked through those hits and was one of the best shows we have seen there. Likewise, Elvis Costello played all his hits, and we, the audience, were much the better for it. Alison, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding, Pump It Up, Watching the Detectives...these really are his best songs. And as a result his show was terrific. Now, I will confess to being a much bigger Costello fan than I am a Police fan, but I think many who saw both would agree. Costello was the highlight of the night, and Alison and Watching The Detectives were the highlights of his set. An energetic, terrific set which had me riveted to my seat.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist from Ken(adian) on the listserv:

Setlist (I think)
Stella Hurt
Chelsea
Every Day I Write the Book
Alison
My 3 Sons
Accidents Will Happen
New Song (the nananana song?)
Turpentine
Watching the Detectives
American Gangster Time
Radio Radio
Pump It Up
PLU

I assume "the nananana song" is "No Hiding Place."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis and the Imposters seem to be in fine form:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/P/Pol ... 1-sun.html

Before the police took the stage, Costello, in trademark black-framed spectacles and backed by The Imposters, delivered a solid 40-minute opening set, blending old favourites with tunes from his latest record, Momofuku.

After ripping through a blistering (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea, with its lilting reggae one-drop beat, and the rousing Every Day I Write the Book, Costello gave fans what they came for with a tender rendition of the 1977 hit Alison, from his debut album My Aim Is True.

With Momofuku, Costello makes a slight return to his schizophrenic geek-punk roots, the rocking American Gangster Time and Turpentine striking a sharp contrast to the soft, acoustic ballad My Three Sons.

The highlight came mid-set, with longtime keyboardist Steve Nieve's swirling Wurlitzer giving way to a stark, almost tribal rendering of Watching the Detectives, before closing out with frenetic renditions of Radio Radio, Pump it Up and the anthemic (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.

As the song, and set, came to an abrupt close, Costello held his Telecaster aloft and the house lights came up, leaving fans wanting more.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 495e8328ce

During his generous, hour-long opening set, British rock legend Elvis Costello spun through his catalogue, harkening back to the days when vinyl ruled, and including a couple of songs from his new disc, Momofuko, which is available on vinyl. Not a shiny piece of plastic, he noted between songs, but a "big black vinyl record."

Yup, that's right. In an era when artists are seeking hot new technology to deliver their music, the famously crusty Costello chose to debut his new studio album last month on vinyl (with a digital download key), though it will be released on CD later this month.

From that new album, recorded with the core Imposters band members, came the lyrical My Three Sons and the crisp rocker American Gangster Time. They blended seamlessly with classic material such as Alison and Accidents Will Happen. Also given new life by Costello and his band were the lilting Watching the Detectives and searing versions of Radio Radio, Pump it Up and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding. It was a terrific set.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So was it a 40 or 60 minute set? :?

Given the songs I'd say the latter.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've just read the review from the Sting.com website and The Police's setlist looks like something I could cope with. It would of course be even better if Elvis were supporting in the UK.

If an extremely cheap ticket for one of the UK arena shows becomes available I might even go. :shock:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... in-ottawa/

Chandler Levack comments -

(extract)

Clad in a black suit and restrained specs, opener Elvis Costello unleashed a mixture of classics and cuts from the recent Momufuku, his lively new album. “I Don’t Want To Go To Chelsea” grew anthemetic with gristly bass lines and a haunting keyboard drone, while “Alison” oozed kitschy charm as Costello held a quivering high note. Along with Momofuku’s gorgeous acoustic ballad “My Three Sons” — an ode to his own children, not the Fred MacMurray vehicle — Costello’s set defined how well-worked neurosis can be channeled into transcendent pop moments.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ottawasun.com/PhotoGalleries ... 1.html#top

Elvis Costello and the Imposters play Scotiabank Place on Thursday, May 1. The band opened for The Police. (Tony Caldwell SUN MEDIA)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080 ... 170/CPARTS

Cyberpresse

2 mai 2008

Marc André Joanisse

(extract)

Elvis Costello

En lever de rideau, pas n'importe qui, Elvis Costello et ses légendaires Imposters. Le mari de Diana Krall, Declan MacManus de son vrai nom, ses lunettes à la Buddy Holly, son complet foncé, sa voix particulière et sa musique encore plus particulière.

On lui a permis un maigre 40 minutes et c'est dommage, car on en aurait pris pour deux heures et même plus. Pas facile pour lui de choisir une douzaine de titres dans un répertoire comprenant 21 albums.

Heureusement, ses choix ont été judicieux. Il a retenu quelques chansons de son dernier disque, The Delivery Man, mais il a eu la gentillesse de puiser dans ses premières cuvées, ramenant entre autres, Everyday I Write The Book, Alison, Watching the Detectives, Radio, Radio, Pump It Up et Peace, Love and Understanding. Le quatuor les a interprétées comme on les a toujours appréciées, de façon assez crue merci et servies au premier degré. Dommage, les lumières se sont allumées immédiatement après la dernière pièce. Pas de place donc pour un rappel.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Police fan has posted some photos -

http://picasaweb.google.com/dermot.oshea/OttawaMay102
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Davey without a hat!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Blog review:
Speaking of John Fogerty, he and Elvis Costello have something very much in common. They are two of the only music legends in history where their most popular songs are also their best songs. Most bands would say that certain album tracks that never became hits were their best. Most music people would argue that Exile On Main Street was the best Stones album, although it produced no monster singles. But Fogerty was a hit machine, and his concert at Scotiabank smoked through those hits and was one of the best shows we have seen there. Likewise, Elvis Costello played all his hits, and we, the audience, were much the better for it. Alison, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding, Pump It Up, Watching the Detectives...these really are his best songs. And as a result his show was terrific. Now, I will confess to being a much bigger Costello fan than I am a Police fan, but I think many who saw both would agree. Costello was the highlight of the night, and Alison and Watching The Detectives were the highlights of his set. An energetic, terrific set which had me riveted to my seat.
"riveted to my seat"? when i get moved at a live show, you can't get me to sit down!
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Maybe it's an age thing! I was impressed by the fact that the recent Ryman gig omitted Pump It Up. Hooray! Keep it up, Elvis. Although it can be handy to have a chance to go to the toilet, there really is no justification in playing it to death. I'd much rather hear a set of relative obscurities than the hits, but he knows his audience here.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Have to say I think sideburns are a mistake for Elvis. Hope he smartens up for the TV shows in autumn. Those are crucial to the next stage of his career and he's gotta look smart!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Some good photos on Flickr here.

Credit to SmithProject.

MOOT