Austin SXSW show

Pretty self-explanatory
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

are those letters on the fretboard of that guitar or just decorations?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

EC's set better be good because I'm sitting here wading through Robert Plant's set and man it's tough going. Can't think of a rock vocalist I like less. Is there a fast forward button?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I liked him well enough in LZ, or at least I appreciated his qualities, and quite often genuinely liked too, but I thought his older voice sounded so dull here. I noted the discerning Observer music monthly gave his new LP a rave 5 star review. It was well worth it for Elvis, no?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/0327 ... /72263.htm

Rock 'n' roll diary - Jon Nolan takes a roadtrip deep in the heart of Texas

( extracts )

Shortly after midnight, Elvis Costello strolled casually onto the stage to thunderous applause. Bars and clubs are piled, tucked and folded into every nook of the prodigious music town of Austin, Texas - like those summer homes on Hampton Beach, or like the fans clamoring for a better view of the musical legend in front of us. But on this night, Elvis (the English one) was at La Zona Rosa, an excellent 1,000-seat venue with amazing sound. When he and his small crack band kicked into the classic "Radio," I knew I had made the right choice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:30 p.m., Wednesday
Elvis ...

I end up hanging out with my pal Bryan, cousin to my ‘ZuZu band mate and continued rock ‘n’ roll hostel host. We decide we’ll head over to The Austin Music Hall where the Austin Music Awards will be going on. Aha! So this is where all the beautiful people are. Everybody is decked to the nines. I try and look cool. We catch the end of Alejandro Escovedo’s (of the True Believers) set with John Cale (of Velvet Underground). Two very influential, musical heavyweights. Never heard of them? Hmm. Well, try and be impressed. It’s cool, but the room is big and the sound is boomy. They give out some awards to folks after the set. I marvel at the size and diversity of the music scene. Seemingly every genre is represented. We decide not to hang out and wait for Nanci Griffith and The Crickets. So, off to La Zona Rosa it is! Right across the street no less. So much good music.

During the day, all I heard anybody talk about was how Elvis Costello was playing at La Zona, and frankly I fully expected to see a huge line. To my surprise, Bryan and I walk right in, he with his badge (badges get in first) and me with my wristband. We stroll into the crowd and set up shop about 30 feet from the stage, dead center. Mary Gauthier (pronounced go-SHAY) is finishing up her set. It’s a swell country folk set. She’s making her major label debut this year. My friend saw her open up for Slaid Cleaves at The Press Room a few years back. Now she’s playing to a comfortably filled room at the esteemed La Zona Rosa. Go girl!

Next is Tift Merritt, another pseudo "It" girl on the rootsy scene. It’s a fine show of Springsteen-esque soul-infused rock, but with a few too many cliche arena-rock moves for my taste, you know, the whole I call and response sing-along audience participation bit, getting everybody to clap, tambourine with scarf attached. Granted, I am a bit jaded. But I want to like it.

Next on, however, is the man himself, the one and only Elvis Costello. His huge and immediate presence fills the room and after Tift Merritt, it makes it all the clearer what the real thing looks like. His every gesture is our command. Whereas Tift had to implore the crowd to clap, seemingly all Costello has to do is look at us a certain way and we comply. Yes, Mr. Costello. No, Mr. Costello. As you wish, Mr. Costello. He blows me away. I am riveted. My friend Bryan has to get up early the next day however, and I am forced to tear myself away from the show and split with my pal. I hear the next day he ended up playing for 2½ hours. Sigh.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I liked him well enough in LZ, or at least I appreciated his qualities, and quite often genuinely liked too, but I thought his older voice sounded so dull here. I noted the discerning Observer music monthly gave his new LP a rave 5 star review. It was well worth it for Elvis, no?
Yes, I got there eventually. Great stuff. Can't wait until April 22. I just find Plant's yowling and mystical mumbo-jumbo so tiring. To me, his vocals were always the least enjoyable thing about Led Zep.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Ulster Boy

Re: Austin SXSW show

Post by Ulster Boy »

Hi, if anyone has the broadcast tracks could they PM me please - thanks in advance!