The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic), November 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic), November 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

From costello-l Facebook: Elvis seems to reveal in the interview in Uncut that there is also a live recording coming out in 2023.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Re: Live recording coming out in 2023?

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:From costello-l Facebook: Elvis seems to reveal in the interview in Uncut that there is also a live recording coming out in 2023.
He hadn’t contacted me or Steve for permission yet :shock: :wink: :roll:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

From those not available via official/unofficial channels what would we like him to put out?

Liverpool Olympia 2020 was a really great gig and nothing listenable has surfaced from it, so would be my choice of 'recentish' shows. But I'd be interested to hear other's 'requests'....
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

There are reports that the Glasgow show (June 7, 2022) and the Copenhagen show (June 30, 2022) were professionally recorded.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Glynn John's lapels get everywhere....
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Here's the quote from Uncut:

"And we've got another record! It's The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic). We have two recording sessions, one from last October, when The Imposters first played the songs from The Boy Named If live together, and another session in May. We started playing some other songs by other people. There's a track in Japanese on it! I heard this terrific duo called Kimiko and we invited them to rework 'Magnificent Hurt'."
sweetest punch

Re: The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic), 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

I’m wondering if it will be an EP (like Purse or La Face de Pendule à Coucou) or a full album…
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:I’m wondering if it will be an EP (like Purse or La Face de Pendule à Coucou) or a full album…
My guess would be an 8-10 track 'mini-LP' in the style of The Clarksdale Sessions.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

sweetest punch wrote:There are reports that the Glasgow show (June 7, 2022) and the Copenhagen show (June 30, 2022) were professionally recorded.
I was at Glasgow. I can confirm there was sign on the entrance to the auditorium say 'this show is being recorded'

and it was Sulky that put them up
geebot

Post by geebot »

They had a multi-camera setup at a couple of the recent California shows. Not sure what that will lead to.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

geebot wrote:They had a multi-camera setup at a couple of the recent California shows. Not sure what that will lead to.
A DVD, I hope. We haven't had a live DVD with the Imposters for over a decade now.
And No Coffee Table

A tiny graphic on elviscostello.com says this will be "out this November." (So any day now?)

sweetest punch

Re: The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic), November 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/elvis-cos ... ites-tour/

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS ANNOUNCE SPRING LEG OF “THE BOY NAMED IF & OTHER FAVOURITES” TOUR

(…)
The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher – will once again be joined on the road by guitarist Charlie Sexton. As he recalls in The Boy Named If (Alive at Memphis Magnetic) liner notes, Costello first recruited Sexton in Summer 2021 to temporarily deputize for Steve Nieve, when his “Letters Of Transit” from France failed to materialize. The band liked the results so much that they agreed to proceed as a quintet when Nieve rejoined them. One early review of the new lineup in the OC Register wrote that “over the course of 26 songs and nearly two-and-a-half hours, Elvis Costello and the Imposters delivered a terrific night that time-traveled across Costello’s songbook, past, present, and future.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Is it the Magnificent Hurt remix single: https://images.app.goo.gl/y9JVt7YxwDzh35N99 ?
Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:I heard this terrific duo called Kimiko and we invited them to rework 'Magnificent Hurt'.
It turns out this is Chelmico, not Kimiko.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelmico

Last year EC praised Chelmico's "very cool theme song" for the TV series Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCI9FSaHEg
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Last year EC praised Chelmico's "very cool theme song" for the TV series Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCI9FSaHEg
That is sooo Pump it Up
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

sweetest punch wrote:Is it the Magnificent Hurt remix single: https://images.app.goo.gl/y9JVt7YxwDzh35N99 ?
First reported by yours truly, I believe :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Newspaper Pane wrote:First reported by yours truly, I believe :lol:
True! The Magnificent Hurt remix was part of the pre-show music in August.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I’m sure it was played before some of the June U.K. dates. I certainly heard a version of Magnificent Hurt that I hadn’t heard before and couldn’t find any relevant details online at the time.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
And No Coffee Table

"Magnificent Hurt (Remix)" single featuring chelmico is out Friday.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/magnif ... 1651968741
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

Universal Music Japan published and then apparently deleted a track listing for The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic) and a release date of November 25. It was on this page that can still be accessed via Google Cache.

It showed "a digital deluxe album" with the 13 songs from the original The Boy Named If album plus 11 additional tracks:

1. Magnificent Hurt (Memphis Magnetic Version)
2. Truth Drug (Memphis Magnetic Version) 
3. Penelope Halfpenny (Memphis Magnetic Version)
4. So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star
5. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Memphis Magnetic Version)
6. The Boy Named If (Memphis Magnetic Version)
7. Let Me Roll It
8. Everyday I Write The Book (Memphis Magnetic Version)
9. Out Of Time
10. Here, There And Everywhere
11. Magnificent Hurt chelmico Remix
And No Coffee Table

The Japanese lyrics from the "Magnificent Hurt" remix, translated into English by Google Translate:

Stick your tongue out and make ends meet
that adorable little play
Synergy like the future
A rut that doesn't exist yet in the depths of my gaze

There is a fine line between cuteness and sadness
If you don't know, fly ahead
the timing is sooner or later
If you don't understand, ask the god over there

Two performances
Engine that revs until it starts
I have no responsibility
A stencil filled in your shape
i know what
we can go anywhere

This is another old Hanashi
Unexpected my eyes
What should I do under the red sky
In other words, this is youthfulness
When an apple falls from a branch
my heart is also depressed
sometimes i don't understand
That's why I was obsessed with you and devoted everything
want to understand
take a stimulant and walk
You are always one step ahead
you always laugh at me
It's a wonderful pain

It can not be helped
when you let it in
going to be swayed
laugh
It can not be helped
When you made me want to
it hurts she's addicted
which one is stupid

It can not be helped
when you let it in
going to be swayed
laugh
You are too beautiful
Mind and body that began to forgive
never stop anymore
excitement
oh that hurts
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/elvis-cos ... vember-25/

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM ‘THE BOY NAMED IF (ALIVE AT MEMPHIS MAGNETIC)’ OUT DIGITALLY NOVEMBER 25

On November 25, Elvis Costello & The Imposters will release The Boy Named If (Alive at Memphis Magnetic), a companion to January’s widely-acclaimed album The Boy Named If which earlier this week was nominated for a Grammy Award for “Best Rock Album.”

This new album features live-in-the studio renditions of TBNI songs, a version of Costello’s “Every Day I Write the Book”, numbers by The Rolling Stones, Nick Lowe, The Byrds and Paul McCartney and a brand new remix by the Japanese duo, chelmico.

Recorded live-in-the-studio during tour rehearsals at Memphis Magnetic Recording in October 2021 and May 2022, the album captures the band playing, as Costello puts, “Some of our favourite songs while negotiating with any tricky angles in our new tunes.”

The first song to be released is the sole track not recorded in Memphis, a new remix of “Magnificent Hurt” by Japanese female rap duo chelmico, who Costello first heard performing the theme to the anime show “Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!”

chelmico say “Can’t believe we did a collab with Elvis Costello & The Imposters!! Who knew this could happen in real life!? When we were talking on a Zoom call, Elvis said we can do whatever we want so we just did! Please enjoy our interpretation of the world of Magnificent Hurt. The beats by ryo takahashi is just a perfection! We’re all HAPPY that Elvis is happy with the track!”

The Boy Named If (Alive at Memphis Magnetic) is released on EMI, with Capitol Records as the release partner in the US.

Read Costello’s essay about the record below.

The Boy Named If (Alive at Memphis Magnetic) track listing:

Magnificent Hurt (Costello)
Truth Drug (Nick Lowe)
Penelope Halfpenny (Costello)
So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star (McGuinn/Hillman)
What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love? (Costello)
The Boy Named If (Costello)
Let Me Roll It (Paul McCartney/Linda McCartney)
Every Day I Write The Book (Costello)
Out Of Time (Jagger/Richards)
Here, There and Everywhere (McCartney)
Magnificent Hurt remix (Costello/chelmico)

THE BOY NAMED IF (ALIVE AT MEMPHIS MAGNETIC) By Elvis Costello

When The Imposters and I entered Memphis Magnetic studio in October 2021 it was the first time we’d been face-to-face or side-by-side while playing the songs from “The Boy Named If”.

That album had been recorded over “electrical wire” in late 2020 from our respective lairs and cupboards under the stairs but now we were in Memphis on pretext of rehearsing for our first full tour ever since the world ended in March 2020. Now we were three days from opening on the Soundstage at Graceland but what better way to prepare than playing some of your favourite songs while negotiating with the trickier angles in our new tunes.

In the summer of 2021, we’d invited Charlie Sexton to join us on the guitar when we were unable to obtain Steve Nieve’s “Letters Of Transit” from France to play a couple of shows and liked the outcome so much that we all agreed to proceed as a quintet.

We set up with stage monitors, a plan that Pete Thomas and Steve Nieve would have recognized from the “Blood & Chocolate” sessions only without all the sulking and sniping.

Now, Pete Thomas once vaulted over a fence to retrieve a brick from the demolition site of the original Stax Studios building. He told any musicians with a faltering groove in his own basement studio – Bonaparte Rooms East – “That brick has heard, “(Sittin’ On) the Dock Of The Bay”.

We celebrated our return to the city by Pete and Davey Faragher putting a little Memphis magnificence into “Everyday I Write The Book” with Steve leading us on the Hammond and Charlie filling in around my voice, one of a number of repertoire songs that we re-arranged for the tour.

The album, “The Boy Named If”, set out to be an antidote to our mutual isolation. Now with my co-producer Sebastian Krys and his assistant Daniel Galindo in the Memphis Magnetic booth and our road crew tight to the walls of the studio or in the hallway outside, we put on the red light and began finding our way around these new numbers in the same room and at the same time, and shaking off a little dust by tearing through songs like Nick Lowe’s 1976 Dutch release, “Truth Drug”.

Having played our first appearance of 2022 at JazzFest in New Orleans before celebrating the opening of the Bob Dylan Centre in Tulsa and even working up an encore of “Like A Rolling Stone” in the dressing room of “Cain’s Ballroom”, we had now returned to Memphis Magnetic to rehearse for upcoming U.K. and European dates and while we let The Imposters and Charlie loose on the “Hey Clockface” numbers that I’d recorded alone in Helsinki but would now earn their place in the coming shows before lighting “Indoor Fireworks” with a different match and finding a minor mood in “Brilliant Mistake” and filed them away for a future collection called, “King Of America & Other Realms”.

It seems we remained in a freewheeling mood as we cut, “Out Of Time”, the Jagger/Richards tune that I first learned from Chris Farlowe’s Immediate Records release, to which I later added, tambourine, maracas, a second piano and a few other tricks and diversions, after all, we were in a recording studio.

We certainly got the sense of where a tune like, “What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love?” might be headed from night to night, when Charlie opened up on his guitar solo.

In the evening I returned to my room at the Peabody Hotel and over the next three nights, I heard seven new songs ringing ‘round the walls but that’s a tale for another day…

At the October 2021 sessions, we’d crashed out of “Penelope Halfpenny” into The Byrds, “So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star”, now we did something similar, as Paul McCartney’s “Let Me Roll It” emerged from “The Boy Named If” title song. At the end of the final session, we turned off the monitors entirely and recorded a hushed birthday card serenade of “Here, There & Everywhere”.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, chelmico had been working away on a complete re-model and re-fit of “Magnificent Hurt”. Over the last few years we’ve presented some of my songs in other languages on the album “Spanish Model” and the French language E.P. “La Face de Pendule à Coucou” but this track is something of an entirely different stripe.

One of the gifts of the recent interlude from the traveling life has been the time gathered around the family jukebox, a stack of vinyl or the comic book world of film entertainment.

While, his brother and mother were elsewhere working on their own schemes, my son Frank and I worked our way through the entire anime series, “Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!”, an ingenious look at every aspect of animation from storyboarding to the final cut, through the eyes and escapades of three young Japanese students. Each episode kicks off with the chelmico track, “Easy Breezy”, a cool flow of verses and rhymes over a beatbox and some slide guitar.

A couple of calls later and I found myself on a video conference to Tokyo with Mamiko and Rachel and was delighted that they agreed to work up their own version of “Magnificent Hurt”. My only directions were, “You can do anything you want. Cut it up. Turn it round. Wipe it out. Say anything you want. You can’t be wrong”.

As you will hear, the song is now an entirely different story in both words and music, re-harmonizing my interjections between their verses and it is this new Japanese model of the song that closes the storybook on, “The Boy Named If (Alive At Memphis Magnetic)”.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »