New album for 2023 announced: “entirely different and very exciting”!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New album for 2023 announced: “entirely different and very exciting”!

Post by sweetest punch »

In his interview in Uncut from January 2023, Elvis announces an “entirely different and very exciting” new album for 2023!!
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=12122

We know that Elvis and The Imposters were recording in Memphis Magnetic Recording Studios in October 2021 and May 2022:
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... &p=7752796

EC was reported to have mentioned finishing a new album with the Imposters at one of the recent UK dates:
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... &p=7753158
Last edited by sweetest punch on Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: New album for 2023 announced!

Post by Man out of Time »

A new Imposters album would be great. There were a few new songs played on The Boy Named If & Other Favourites Tour - specifically :

Big Stars Have Tumbled, I Don't Want Your Lyndon Johnson (Maybe Just This Once) and Tipsy Woman. However, I am not sure these would be "entirely different and very exciting".

I do recall that during his DJ set in the basement at Defend Vinyl back in January this year, Elvis played a track called "Skeletons and Statues" from the Dopamine Project - a dense mix of different instruments and voices. A T-Bone Burnett-produced album of that sort of music would better fit the bill. It would not, though, be an Imposters album.

We wait to see..

MOOT
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sweetest punch wrote:In his interview in Uncut from January 2023, Elvis announces a “entirely different and very exciting” new album for 2023!!
I'd love a simple acoustic guitar and vocals one - however this It would not, either, be an Imposters album.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

'entirely different'?!

That begs the question: what has Elvis Costello not yet done? :lol:
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Ymaginatif wrote:'entirely different'?!

Drill rap?………………………..!!! :? :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’m sure I’ve posted this before but back in the day when he was still around Jake once said Elvis’ next album would be just Elvis with a guitar, a comb and grease proof paper and would be called “Wembley” . For those non musicians amongst us, a comb and paper was the forerunner of the Kazoo. My brother once pretended he couldn’t sell one to a teenager in his music shop as the only had B Flat ones, none tuned to G :shock: :wink: :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Does "entirely different" mean entirely different from all his other albums? Or just from The Boy Named If?
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krm

Post by krm »

Goon Squad wrote:

A polka album performed on pan flute!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Swedish folk music on electric violin
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:Swedish folk music on electric violin
or a Xmas album!
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

krm wrote:
Goon Squad wrote:

A polka album performed on pan flute!
Now you’re talking! 8)
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

Sounds to me as if Elvis is probably referring to the Dopamine project. Any Imposters or solo album is unlikely to be regarded as "very different", and this has been referenced as upcoming for at least 2 years now.
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

Entirely different and very exciting...Dopamine.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:The Dopamine project: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... &p=7751227
Personally - “Oh dear” - and I did love Wise Up Ghost .
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote:Personally - “Oh dear” - and I did love Wise Up Ghost .
Ditto.
But then the wisdom of George Michael floated into my eardrum " ...I got to have faith, faith, faith"
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Personally - “Oh dear” - and I did love Wise Up Ghost .
Ditto.
But then the wisdom of George Michael floated into my eardrum " ...I got to have faith, faith, faith"
And remember Bruce ('Land of Hope and Dreams')...'faith will always be rewarded'. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I liked Wise Up Ghost but Wise Up Thought was awful in my view. I hope this new album doesn’t fall into the Wise Up Thought category.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I liked Wise Up Ghost but Wise Up Thought was awful in my view. I hope this new album doesn’t fall into the Wise Up Thought category.
Agree...a bit. I do quite enjoy Wise Up Thought if I'm in the right mood, and I think the version of 'Tripwire' is preferable to the Wise Up Ghost version.
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Hawksmoor wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I liked Wise Up Ghost but Wise Up Thought was awful in my view. I hope this new album doesn’t fall into the Wise Up Thought category.
Agree...a bit. I do quite enjoy Wise Up Thought if I'm in the right mood, and I think the version of 'Tripwire' is preferable to the Wise Up Ghost version.
I agree, and I also quite like the version of Cinco Minutos with Black Thought, and the marching-band style version of Walk Us Uptown.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

News of the new album of Elvis in Uncut February 2023:
https://www.uncut.co.uk/publications/ma ... 23-141118/

(…)
2023 ALBUMS PREVIEW: One is a three-act rock opera about artists being exiled into space, another is influenced by Uzbekistani disco, while a third features a song called “Layla” inspired by its creator’s apparent “Oedipal hatred of Eric Clapton”. Join us, then, for Uncut’s essential guide to many of 2023’s key albums. Brace yourselves for news of The Cure, Blondie, The Rolling Stones, Dexys, Lucinda Williams, Elvis Costello, Robert Forster, The Damned, Natalie Merchant, Margo Cilker, Modern Nature, Graham Nash, Sparks and more…
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wow, this is VERY exciting when you consider how fantastic 'Boy Named If' is!!!

'Very different' - what on earth could that mean? I do recall that Elvis talked about doing an album of joyful music, or happy songs - this was sometime time near the start of the lockdowns.

Could it be a 'Get Happy' that's actually happy?!

Cos 'Boy Named If' is very dark in terms of its themes, as usual with Elvis!

Or maybe it's a return to the Americana that he loves so dearly.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm betting on "another is influenced by Uzbekistani disco".
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From Costello-l Facebook:

Titel: Songs of Bacharach and Costello.

Four-album set that revisits a favourite collaborator

It’s Painted From Memory (1998) and Taken From Life, which is a collection of songs that Burt and I wrote over the last 15 years for a proposed Painted From Memory musical. So you’ll hear other people singing a couple of those original songs, but also a bunch of songs that have never heard before. We’ve compiled them with a couple of songs from Look Now (1998) and some recordings that were piano/voice explorations of what the songs would sound like if they were sung by other people. We’ve put them all together to create an impression of what it would have been like to have that score.
There’s another disc of live performances of Painted From Memory songs, mostly with Steve Nieve and myself, a couple of them orchestral. Finally, a whole album of Bacharach/David songs, which I thought would be fun to include. This is a love letter to Burt. We went into the studio last september and recorded two songs with Vince Mendoza conducting a 30-piece orchestra. So the bookends for this Taken From Life are newly recorded. The Imposters and I recorded a third song, in Capitol Studios with an orchestra. It was a few years since we’d worked together, but it didn’t take very long before I’m in the booth and he was on the call-back saying, “Elvis, you’re not singing the right melody.” So I had to be on top of it.
Ymaginatif

Re: New album for 2023: Songs of Bacharach and Costello

Post by Ymaginatif »

Slightly confusing?
So is one CD simply a 'best of' of Burt Bacharach?

1: Painted From Memory
2: Taken From Life - mostly covers versions, together with Look Now songs + 3 newly recorded EC songs
3: live songs - I assume all E.C.
4: Best of Burt. Not clear who sings these? the riginal recordings? It doesn't sound as if these are EC covers ....

Well, bring it on I'd say(but don't make it too expensive ...)