Elvis Costello: Extreme Honey - The Very Best Of Warner Records Years (180g) (Limited Numbered Edition) (Gold Vinyl)

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis Costello: Extreme Honey - The Very Best Of Warner Records Years (180g) (Limited Numbered Edition) (Gold Vinyl)

Post by sweetest punch »

https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/Just-Arri ... LS61JQM000

Extreme Honey (The Very Best Of Warner Records Years) is a compilation album by Elvis Costello, spanning the years 1989–1997. This double album is a good way to become acquainted with Costello’s Nineties’ output. There are a number of hits and singles (“Veronica,” “So Like Candy,” “Sulky Girl,” “13 Steps Lead Down,” “The Other Side of Summer”), and additional album tracks from the same period.

There are a number of great moments here, whether it’s the lilting “The Birds Will Still Be Singing” from the underrated The Juliet Letters or the New Orleans- inflected “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror”. Extreme Honey also contains “My Dark Life”, Costello’s collaboration with Brian Eno (originally featured on The X-Files soundtrack), and the new track “The Bridge I Burned,” a neo-psychedelic/ trip-hop number constructed from backing tapes recorded with his son and Supergrass drummer Danny Goffey.

Extreme Honey (The Very Best Of Warner Records Years) is available as a limited edition of 4000 individually numbered copies on gold coloured vinyl and includes an insert.

SIDE A
1 The Bridge I Burned
2 Veronica
3 Sulky Girl
4 So Like Candy
SIDE B
1 13 Steps Lead Down
2 All This Useless Beauty
3 My Dark Life
4 The Other Side Of Summer
5 Kinder Murder
SIDE C
1 Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
2 Hurry Down Doomsday
3 Poor Fractured Atlas
4 The Birds Will Still Be Singing
5 London’s Brilliant Parade
SIDE D
1 Tramp The Dirt Down
2 Couldn’t Call It Unexpected No. 4
3 I Want To Vanish
4 All The Rage
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ymaginatif

Re: Elvis Costello: Extreme Honey - The Very Best Of Warner Records Years (180g) (Limited Numbered Edition) (Gold Vinyl)

Post by Ymaginatif »

I love that WB era! One treasured album after another for me.

So I've never understood why, but that Extreme Honey compilation fell flat on iots face for me. Somehow these songs don't seem to work in this context. They have lost their power, and don't add up to something taht really holds together? Were the original albums too different?

Anyway, I'll probably stil buy this vinyl edition as well :lol:
Neil.

Re: Elvis Costello: Extreme Honey - The Very Best Of Warner Records Years (180g) (Limited Numbered Edition) (Gold Vinyl)

Post by Neil. »

I think maybe it doesn't work cos there are so many ballads/slowies clumped together.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I think the WB years are harder to compile -- leaving off Kojak Variety, he's pulling from only 5 albums, way fewer than he was drawing from for his earlier "best of" collections, and the single releases from the WB era are (with the exception of the hit, "Veronica") less significant.

(If you just did a "singles" compilation for these years, track two would be "Baby Plays Around")

Side D is 3/4 songs that feel like "ending" songs (I'm including "All The Rage" in that category as it always feels like "Favourite Hour" is a P.S. on Brutal Youth).

I don't have many quibbles with the song selection overall-- the inclusion of "My Dark Life" is great, and I love "The Bridge I Burned" -- but it somehow always feels like it's just hard to have these songs sit together in a coherent way that feels like a fully satisfying listen. He did this so well on the best of his compilations, Girls Girls Girls, but I don't even think that approach would work for this era. If you doubled the size of this collection, you'd run the risk of having fully half of Brutal Youth included.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Maybe it works better if you keep a more chronological order, change a few ballads and include more Costello/McCartney songs, for instance:

Side A:
Veronica
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
God’s Comic
You Want Her Too (Costello/McCartney demo)

Side B:
So Like Candy
The Other Side Of Summer
Couldn’t Call It Unexpected #2
The Birds Will Still Be Singing

Side C:
Sulky Girl
All The Rage
London’s Brilliant Parade
My Dark Life

Side D:
All This Useless Beauty
The Other End Of The Telescope
I Want To Vanish
That Day Is Done (with Fairfield Four)
The Bridge I Burned
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... winehouse/

23 great vinyl albums to give this Christmas, from The Beatles to Stormzy and Amy Winehouse

They may not fit into a stocking, but LPs are fast becoming the ideal gift for the music fan. Here are nearly two dozen of the best special editions

(…)

Elvis Costello

Extreme Honey (The Very Best of the Warner Years) (Warners)

Spanning 1989-1997, Costello’s time at Warner Bros produced several hit singles, including Veronica and The Other Side of Summer. This collection also features a selection of superior tracks from albums released in the same time frame. Limited edition of 4,000 comes on two gold-vinyl discs.