Stations of the Cross

Pretty self-explanatory
notesrecliner

Stations of the Cross

Post by notesrecliner »

In "Stations of the Cross," Elvis Costello utilizes a Christian ritual and employs an influential Bowie song to grapple with themes of privilege and power. In this process "Stations of the Cross" begets the song "Viceroy's Row" in collaboration with The Roots. Tracking all of this in the latest from Recliner Notes:

http://reclinernotes.com/2022/09/11/sta ... the-cross/
Newspaper Pane

Re: Stations of the Cross

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Good choice.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

My favorite on National Ransom, and one of my favorites of the 2000s. Hadn't seen that version with the Roots. Excellent post, Recliner!

[And I am reminded once again of my dislike of Jimmy Fallon. Why the heck would you have the youngsters swaying behind the musicians on this song?]
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

As a lapsed mid 70s fusion freak....when they announced John McLaughlin would be appearing with Elvis this night, to say I was shocked to shit is a wild understatement. But he surely employed his guitar genius/prowess to take the song to a great new level. Assuredly EC has shocked us repeatedly with unforseen collaborations...this one clearly in the top ten! Bravo to all...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is a great song lyrically but it’s too dirge like for me.

Lovely read again though!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Another terrific read about a great song from a much undervalued album.

Mr Recliner links into the National Ransom micro-site which EC set up to publicise the release, having great fun interviewing himself in the process. Here's a bit that made me smile :
" We began with the Sugarcanes, added drums, added guitar, added piano, took away the number we first thought of and before we knew where we were, we had "National Ransom".

I'd forgotten that this micro-site existed so thanks for the linkage as well as the insight.
notesrecliner

Post by notesrecliner »

The microsite link was supplied by the good folks at the EC Wiki site.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!